Ok I've been playing for almost 4 months and since I'm stuck practing open chords now.I want to spice things up and learn other stuff to.
I will practice 3-5hours every day(now it's an average of almost 3hours I think).

I mostly want to play punk rock but also some other stuff.

My goals

1)Playing open chords flawlessly,and at a good speed so I'll be able to play songs using open chords.

2)Power chords flawlessly,and needed speed also.

3)Barre chords

4)Palm muting/fret hand muting

5)Slides,pull offs,hamer-ons,bends

6)Learn soloing,specific to punk.

I've learned setting good goals is a good way of staying motivated so I will do that.
But now I need to set specific goals,something reachable you know.
I can't just say I want to master open chords because that's not something I could 'reach'.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain cuz I'm not a native speaker but I hope you understand what I mean.

Btw for those guys saying just play songs and have fun blablabla.I practiced other stuff to when I was younger like sports and stuff so I know how I usually practice stuff and motivate myself and this is my way to do it believe me.

Now my questions

1)How to translate those goals to something reachable?(I use a metronome to practice)

2)How do I practice my soloing skills?

3)Anyone know songs so I could perfect my open chords?
Last edited by FlyingStar at Nov 4, 2009,
If you want to play power chords fast, tune to drop d (DADGBe), you'll be able to do them blazingly fast, because you only have to use one finger for the power chords on the lower 3 strings, (DAD)
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Last edited by ninjaapirate at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by ninjaapirate
If you want to play power chords fast, tune to drop d (DADGBe), you'll be able to do them blazingly fast, because you only have to use one finger for the power chords on the lower 3 strings, (DAD)

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I want to play them fast in a normal way,that's the point of me practicing guitar

No one with a good answer for my questions?
I'm a young player and I hate to say it but for soloing.. your guna' need to learn a scale or two
Im not to sure about punk music, but for rock, blues, country and most other genres the penatonic scale is a good one to start with.
Even the better punk bands dont usually have tricky solos, but just power chords and nothing much else.
Quote by FlyingStar

Now my questions

1)How to translate those goals to something reachable?(I use a metronome to practice)

2)How do I practice my soloing skills?

3)Anyone know songs so I could perfect my open chords?

1) - by learning songs, that's it. don't get caught up in trying to "measure" your progress - the metronome isn't a speedometer and it's not a gauge of how good you are, it's just a tool to keep time for you. Practicing is a means to an end, not the end itself - how "well" you can practice is immaterial so never worry about how fast you can play a certain exercise or anything like that - all that matters is whether or not that practice results in you becoming better at playing the guitar.

2) By introducing yourself to the techniques used in soloing such as bends, hammer ons, pull offs and obviously by learning to pick accurately and in sync with your fretting hand. It's laborious and frustrating to try and learn a solo when you don't know the techniques it involves and practically impossible to learn them whlst trying to learn the song to. Practice the techniques in isolation, i used to spend ages just practicing bends, working on bending accurately to my target pitch all over the neck on various strings. Once you feel like you've got a bit of a handle on the techniques then you learn songs with solos in them, start simple...Highway to Hell by AC/DC is a good one to start with, not too fast, not too long.

3) Anything by Creedence Clearwater Revival is great for chord stuff, also try
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochrane
Wild Thing - The Troggs
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
Knocking On Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
Every Rose Has It's Thorn - Poison
American Pie - Don McLean
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Highway To Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
All Or Nothing - The Small Faces
Substitute, The Kids Are Alright - The Who

Bear in mind there will be some overlap with barre chords, best thing to do is just jump straight on in there and start learning them...it gets you started learning the notes on the fretboard too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com