I recently completed a Telecaster that I customized. Everything works and sounds good except my high E string. It sounds weak and muffled and I can't figure out what's doing it. In the nut it feels the same as the other strings in terms of height when laying in the slot. I have a Stewmac maple Tele neck and a Guitarfetish 5 screw Tele bridge. I need to figure out what it is so I can play on that string.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
fret collision, raise the action a little or you may have a high fret

may also be not sat in the saddle or nut properly
I've checked all the frets and it isn't hitting anything. I've also restrung it after adjusting the bridge and I've tried a little graphite in the saddle.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I really need to figure this out, sorry for the double post but I need help. I've narrowed it down to the nut. If I use my nail to press down on the string then the buzzing stops. Does this mean my slot isn't deep enough?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Is the nut made out of graphite? I made a graphite nut recently and I was disappointed when I found out how it sounded. However, It could be because the nut isn't seated properly. Or if it is made out of plastic that could also be the culprit.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Deep enough, maybe, but sounds more like the slot is slightly uneven? Just a guess based on pressing it at the nut slot and it goes away.. Buzzing indicates a hairs breadth of a gap where there should be none.
It is plastic. How would I even it out? I don't own anything meant to work on nuts so alternatives would be helpful.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Plastic? Get a new nut. Plastic nuts don't transfer tone well at all, They even break when you try to remove them if they're on a Fender or Fender styled guitar. I recommend getting a nut made of bone or vintage bone, It makes a noticeable difference.
Always tin your strings.

_____

usually for me when that happens its dirt on the string to grab the string right by the nut and glide your finger down to the bridge getting rid of the dirt on the string
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Plastic? Get a new nut. Plastic nuts don't transfer tone well at all, They even break when you try to remove them if they're on a Fender or Fender styled guitar. I recommend getting a nut made of bone or vintage bone, It makes a noticeable difference.

How hard is it to replace a nut? I can't afford to pay someone. I can barely afford a new nut in the first place, I'd have to wait a while just to get the money. I just need a way to make it play and I'll replace the nut when I get new saddles.

These are brands new strings and I've taken them on and off two or three times. There wouldn't be any dirt.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
With the right tools and knowledge it isn't too hard to make a new nut, It does however take time. In my case it has taken up to 3 hours or more but I'm still learning, I also put in a little extra handiwork that I don't think most people do.

Oh and by the way, After strings have broken in if you bend them up a lot with a vibrato the low strings are likely to start sounding "off" even when at the proper pitch. Just saying from my experience...
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
With the right tools and knowledge it isn't too hard to make a new nut, It does however take time. In my case it has taken up to 3 hours or more but I'm still learning, I also put in a little extra handiwork that I don't think most people do.

Oh and by the way, After strings have broken in if you bend them up a lot with a vibrato the low strings are likely to start sounding "off" even when at the proper pitch. Just saying from my experience...

I don't have a vibrato....and this isn't a tuning issue. The string isn't ringing out correctly. There's an mp3 of my shitty playing on my profile and I show the muffled string and a problem with the string hitting the neck pup. (Fixed the pup problem though) You can hear the difference between the other strings and the E.

I'd consider doing it but at the moment I'd like a quick fix because I literally have no money.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Right, I just threw that in there. Maybe you could file the slot a bit, However this may mess it up more depending on how its done. What gauge of strings do you use?
Always tin your strings.

_____

I usually play on 11's but for this guitar I've only had a pair of 10's. In E Standard that is. You would think that 10's would be a pretty standard size for a Fender style neck.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah, .10s seem standard. I'm beginning to think the string isn't seated properly. Are you going to change the type of string any time soon? If not try filing the slot but not much, barely at all in fact. And make sure your file is the right size and you're filing at a back angle so the string contact point is on the fretboard side of the nut. Don't force it either.
Always tin your strings.

_____

All I had was some fine sandpaper but that ended up making it worse. Should have waited and done it right. I'm going to replace the nut relatively soon. Once I get money that is.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls