Ok Im actually a guitarist and don't have much experience on bass. I am starting a band with a 90's pop punk sound. Although we are all fairly talented musicians I dont believe our bassist is getting a good sound for our style (he has more of a warm jazzy sound). I was wondering how I could get a good gnasty growl similar to Fat Mike or Mike Dirnt's sound out of a B.C. Rich Warlock bass, and a crate Btx or Bfx amp.
treble and mids, especially high mids, which is the spot for the nasty growling. if he uses a pick, it will help immensely. if he has 2 pickups, he should use the neck one. if he is running through effects, turn them off, the most he should have is a little overdrive (which would be ideal). he shouldn't cut his bass, if he cuts anything, it should be low mids. any tone knobs on the bass go all the way up.

that should do until he can get a Black Fender Precision Bass with a gash on the lower horn, an old tube Ampeg head, and a pair of dusty old Ampeg fridges.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Precision Bass and/or Pickstyle goes a long way if he doesn't use that. But that's on the very simple end.
Ok I'm not an idiot. I know about tone woods and eq stuff. I guess I wasn't very clear with my question. What can I tell him to do technique wise? He is very likely to not get another bass or amp any time soon so don't mention different gear. the current bass has a split pup in the bridge. I believe the body is either eastern mahogany, agathis or basswood. And no matter what his eqs look like he maintains a pretty warm mellow tone. Obviously pop/punk does NOT call for that type of tone. so I thought maybe its in his technique or current playing style as neither myself nor our drummer get that kind of sound out of his rig when eqd properly.
get a heavy pick, play by the bridge, and play hard.

and many people do not know the things I said, so don't get offended, nobody called you an idiot. I am helping you voluntarily.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Mike Dirnt uses a few FX pedals too.

Just play hard, low, and fast on fat strings as a basic start to the tone.

Get him out of the mindset of a certain tone and just find it with him, and see where you get with that.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

thanks so much. sorry about that last post. I was having a really bad day. didnt mean to take it out on anyone. everything has been helpful.