Alrighty, well, my amp is starting to lose it - I used to love the sound I'd get out of it, but it doesn't seem to wanna give me a nice tone anymore - I'm definitely going to retube it sometime soon - the amp was built/bought in early 2006, and it's almost 2010. But I just want some suggestions as far as which tubes to use.

Looking at EuroTubes (https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=116) I see they have EL34s (what I already have in my amp), 6L6s, and KT77s that you can throw in.

So far I've been thinking 6L6 would be the way to go - I don't scoop my mids much, depending on my mood my mid knob is usually somewhere around 4-6, but I've found that currently, my low end is getting muddy, and I like a lot of bottom end. I'm also looking to get just a little bit more high-end cut goin on, a little more gain (preferably without increased noise) and a nicer clean tone. The clean tone on my JSX is nice, but I would definitely like a BRIGHTER clean, and I think it's a little lifeless now (could be the tubes, but....) Does anybody have any sound clips of a JSX with 6L6s? I'm also a big fan of the midrange bark that I've found from the 5150/6505 series - my ideal distortion tone would be a mix of 6505/JSX.

Then again, the KT77 sounds interesting as well - i've heard it described as the bastard love-child of the EL34 and 6L6. Any thoughts on this?

Another thing I'm trying to take into account is that I'm the sole guitarist in my band, and I cover both lead and rhythm, so I don't wanna get lost under the bass either...

Any suggestions for what I should use based on what I've said, and are there any brands that you'd suggest over another???
I would think the EL34s you have now are producing your mid bark. Not sure how 6L6s would fair for that (mids) in your amp - I know the JSX is highly versatile. I'd probably try the KT77s and then try a Tung Sol in your very first preamp tube slot.

I also recommend dougstubes.com. He'll have a better selection and ships fast. Send him an email and ask him for his rec.

Also try in the Only JSX/XXX/Ultra thread until Van Noord gets here.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 4, 2009,
Hm, well I'm not TOO worried about losing the mids in my sound... Like I said, I keep my mids around 4-6, so I have plenty more on tap if another type of tube brought me down... I wish I had the money to try out a bunch of different tubes, but I'm broke right now and I'm hoping that I can make enough over the holidays to afford this retube before the new year...

Just curious, why do you say to switch out only ONE preamp tube???
Catharsis - sounds like you've had some experience with both - what types of amp were they in and what could you describe how they affected the sound???
I have the JSX model cab as well - the straight model. I love the thing. I've tried a few other amps (Carvin Legacy, a few Marshalls, etc) thru it and they always sound awesome LOL
So I'm fairly certain its my tubes. I usually have my amp on for long periods of time (we have long ass practices) and like I said, I've had the thing for almost going on 4 years now, so I think it's about time for those new power amp tubes...

What do you think is the differences with the KT77s and 6L6's versus the stock EL34s? I'm mostly concerned about the clean and ultra channels - the crunch channel I don't rely on too often....
Hm I don't know man, haha every 4 months is a little much for me - like I said, I can barely afford ONE retube at the moment. LOL

And they're not completely dead - haha I still get sound, there's no bad humming or feedback and the tubes light up like normal. I can just feel and hear them running out of steam.

But you confuse me, Catharsis - first you say that KT77s are awesome. Then you tell me to get the 6L6's, and NOW you're telling me to keep the EL34s? LOL
Erock or Van Noord may be able to help further too. I'm telling you, send Doug an email and ask him for his suggestion. I bet he get's back to you today.

I'm a sucker for EL34s so that is just me. I rec'd the KT77s because I hear they just kick ass - I have no personal experience with them. As far as the Tung Sol in V1 I was just saying that that tends to be the best slot for making changes to your preamp and you said you wanted something a bit brighter (as opposed to JJs that you probably have in there now).

I'm a big fan of mixing up tubes in the preamp section and I don't recommend people getting all JJs or all Tung Sols at once. There are far better options but you'll have to research a bit as to what works best in what slot. (ie Penta, JAN Phillips, TAD, Mullard, Sovtek, etc)

PS: It was my understanding that eurotubes.com only sells JJs but I could be wrong.

PSS: I don't own a JSX, only played one.
Well, I definitely KNOW the sound I got out of my JSX was badass. And I'm sure that retubing it will make a big difference, but I'm also one who likes to experiment with my sound and try new things... especially now that my sound and influences have taken a slightly different turn... I KNOW the JSX is the base for my sound - I'm just looking to change a few little details that I think would turn it into my own personal monster.

I'm definitely leaning towards the 6L6's for now I'm thinking from what I've read, and just the fact that Fenders and 6505s come with 6L6's, and I love the Fender clean tone (and everywhere I've read says that the 6L6's make a big improvement in the clean sound) and I love that 6505 bark.

EDIT - Yeah, looks like EuroTubes is all JJ's apparently, and YES dear god, I want something a little brighter. The treble and presence knobs don't seem to affect much the actual frequency I'm looking to change - and I play with a Strat or Jazzmaster mostly so TOO bright on the wrong frequencies turns out bad... but an EQ pedal is also out of the question, as I constantly turn off and on my effects loop.

And I shall indeed hunt down these users and ask my questions LOL
Last edited by x7shadesofblack at Nov 4, 2009,
Keep on keepin on x7shadesofblack

FYI - it also often recommended that when changing power tubes you change the last preamp tube in the Phase Inverter slot at the same time.

Also, I have no idea if your amp needs to be re-biased when putting in new power tubes. I am assuming it does, especially if you change types. Not sure. Get a matched quad of power tubes.

Otherwise, I guess I'd get a few preamp tubes when you place your order but not do anything there until you get the new power tubes in. That way you can hear the diffence first. Then slowly work back to the preamps.

just thinking out loud
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Keep on keepin on x7shadesofblack

FYI - it also often recommended that when changing power tubes you change the last preamp tube in the Phase Inverter slot at the same time.

Also, I have no idea if your amp needs to be re-biased when putting in new power tubes. I am assuming it does, especially if you change types. Not sure. Get a matched quad of power tubes.

Otherwise, I guess I'd get a few preamp tubes when you place your order but not do anything there until you get the new power tubes in. That way you can hear the diffence first. Then slowly work back to the preamps.

just thinking out loud

He's definitely going to have to rebias if he changes tube type. He might even have to make a few mods but I'm not sure about the JSX's circuit. And if he just changes EL34 types, he might or might not, it all depends on the tube's specs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by CatharsisStudio
i think all peavey amps are setbiased where you can't really bias them truely. idk i've heardi t a few times

It's a simple mod. You just replace a resistor with a trim pot.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Hmmm, what's this about the JSX being setbiased???

And I'm definitely planning on taking the amp to my buddy who works at the local Sam Ash - and maybe try to learn how to do this properly from him so I can do it myself in the future.

And to guitarinchris - pretty informative! Thanks! I've bookmarked that thread for future reference! As far as a WARMER clean tone though, I think my current clean tone is a little TOO warm. LOL
the JSX definitely doesn't have a set bias--there's a trim pot on the inside. You can see it with the grill still attached.
Hmmm I see... so how does this affect what tubes I get?
Do I have to make sure their at a certain rating or something like that???
Doug doesn't sell bias probes but that is what you would get along with a multimeter to check yourself. Unless of course your amp has external bias test and trip pots. I honestly didn't check.

What most tube distributors due is follow manufacterer spec, take what people buy, add in some personal experience, and recommend tubes based off of all the above and what's available. They will send you a matched set or matched quad which are a group of tubes that have a bias in milliAmps that are close enough together to be considered a good working pair.

If you don't know what plate voltage is or the ins and outs of tube amps I highly recommend getting someone to do this for you.