As a class assignment for my principles of advertising course, I am creating an entire advertising campaign for the Ibanez Xiphos guitar. I am trying to poll guitar players on different websites to get an idea of the market I am advertising to. So if some of you guys can answer these questions for me I would greatly apreciate it.

What is your preferred brand of choice?

Are you a fan of Ibanez guitars? If so why? Is it the price, playability, what factors cause you to pick up an Ibanez?

What are your views on the Ibanez Xiphos guitars? If you have not played one what do you think of the body design?

What television are you watching? If Ibanez created a commercial to run on major networks, which ones would you most want to see them on?(looking for atleast 3)

What music do you listen to? Favorite bands or particular styles of music?

Thank you so much.
Ibanez.

Are you a fan of Ibanez guitars? If so why? Is it the price, playability, what factors cause you to pick up an Ibanez?
I really like the neck type. They look really good too.

What are your views on the Ibanez Xiphos guitars? If you have not played one what do you think of the body design?
I originally wanted a xiphos last time i bought a new guitar, but decided that they werent the best for the price. they look ****ing awesome though!

What television are you watching? If Ibanez created a commercial to run on major networks, which ones would you most want to see them on?(looking for atleast 3)
I live in denmark, and i dont usually watch television, so i guess i cant answer that question :b

Death Metal for the most part. a lot of technical too. and some deathcore. actually necrophagist is what got me to notice the xiphos.

hope that helps :b
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Ibanez, oh yeah.

Yep, I like the high quality, good looks and great sound, despite the pickups often being Ibanez's own models instead of say DiMarzio, EMG or SD

It's a pretty neat shape, I do think it's one of the better star shapes there are. Also the chameleon colors are fricking sweet

I take it this is intended for US people so I can't answer this.

Mostly metal, I do listen to a big variety of genres overall, but metal is probably the biggest.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
I don't look at brands when choosing a guitar
I guess I'm a fan of Ibanez because of the low price
I like the Xiphos; it's original
I don't watch commercials
I listen to rock and heavy metal

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by GuitarDudeMan

ESP/LTD

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Yes, because of the playability (thin, flat necks).

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Cool shape, I know some have balancing problems but the one's I've seen have been fine. The fixed bridge seven string version is pretty much my ideal 7 string if I swapped out the pickups, and maybe had XJ frets instead of J.

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

I'm cool: mostly sky one, Scuzz, and nick (I know I'm a bit too old for spongebob, but DAMN I love that show). Out of those 3, Scuzz would be best for the advert, then sky one.

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Thrash metal, industrial metal, melodic death metal, classical, and game sound tracks of all different genres. Fave bands are probably Bodom and Trivium.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
ibanez

yes, i like ibanez. the playability is extremely high, and their guitars are a great value for the money. they also hold up extremely well through heavy playing and over many years

i haven't played one, but from the looks i'm not a fan of the design.

i watch sports most often. ibanez should run commercials on ESPN, comedy central, and MTV

i listen to many different styles of rock. armor for sleep, journey, atreyu, and third eye blind would be some of my favorite bands.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Fender and Cort

I do like Ibanez guitars, I find the neck very fast, good prices, good tone

I am personally not too keen on 'crazy' body shapes anyway, however I can't really say anything on the Xiphos guitars because I have not played one

Fox, MTV, and a kids channel to advertise to kids starting out guitar.

I listen to Blues, Blues Rock, Post Rock, Classic Rock, Ambient and Classic Metal (Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon etc.)
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Dean, actually, but I still love Ibanezes.

Price and Playability both - Things are pretty cheap and yet even the mid-low range necks are real thin and if I'm honest, super-comfortable to play, from what I've seen.

The body is a tad impractical, If I'm honest, but it could be a lot, lot worse, and the guitar at least has some pretty awesome looks on it. Plus, if you're stood up, playing live, which is what this guitar is designed for, really, what does practicality matter? xD

I dont watch much TV. Put it on YouTube, and have done. Otherwise ESPN and so on, I suppose.

Mostly metal but some shred and anything I happen to like. Paul Gilbert, Outworld, Trivium, The Absence, Megadeth, Scar Symmetry, so on, so on.
Ibanez and Fender (sorry, about putting two!)

I'm a big fan of Ibanez - Price is great on the middle end guitars, I love the way they all feel, the tremolo systems they use are also very hard to beat.

Never played one, but I think that it's good that they have more expensive pickups on a fairly affordable guitar, though I don't like the fact they put the Edge III on it.

Umm, I dunno...I guess the 3 biggest "entertainment" channels, or maybe music ones? MTV or something? (though I guess I'm just thinking of old MTV. )

Shred (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert) Blues (Rory Gallagher, Muddy Waters) Jazz (Wes Montgomery, George Benson) Fusion (Guthrie Govan, Pat Metheny).

Hope it helps.
First off I own one of these and they are awesome!! Xiphos ftw

Ibanez/Fender (I can't decide)

Fan! only of the more expensive ones though, I don't think the cheaper ones are quite so good. shapes, styles, colours, prices aint bad, xiphos plays like a dream!

Own the first thruneck chameolon red one XPT700. love it. 7 string version looks great. Unhappy about using the shape on cheaper bolt on models.

lol every BBC channel. disney? hell history channel defo should especially if they happen to be airing a show on greek weapons! (Xiphos was a double edged greek sword btw)

Heavy metal!!!! anything fast and melodic.
Ibanez

Strictly playability, I could care less about price since I'll probably pay anything for my dream guitar. Luckily, I can get that for an excellent price with Ibanez.

It's alright. For the price with a case, you can get a Prestige. It doesn't have the playability of other Ibanezes due to the finished neck. I think it's one of the worse valued Ibanezes. It looks cool and has a cool finish, but that's pretty much what you're paying for.

Spike, MTV, Fuse, Superbowl

80s Hair Metal and Shred are my favorites. I listen to a lot of Racer X, Dokken, Poison, W.A.S.P., and Motley Crue
PRS
I like Ibanez's because they are good value for money and have very fast necks, but I have never owned one
I think the Xiphos has a really cool body shape and they sound pretty good as well, but I found it uncomfortable to play
I watch very little TV
any kind of Rock or Blues and some (softer) Metal/Classic Metal such as Van Halen, Metallica, Alter Bridge and System of a Down
Probably either some random copy brand or Fender.

It is not. Should I explain why not or is that just something for if this is a yes?

It seems like an interesting guitar and I can see why people would like it, but it in no ways appeals to me; I hate locking tremolos, I like thick necks, the extra frets push the neck pickup closer to the bridge and mess with it's tone, and the shape just looks unwieldy.

What television are you watching? If Ibanez created a commercial to run on major networks, which ones would you most want to see them on?
CBS, NBC, Comedy Central and whoever's showing a funny movie like Spinal Tap or one of the Monty Python films. And Fox for two or three comedies.

Constantly changing, but my top five seem to stay relatively the same as The Beatles, Queen, The Who, Led Zeppelin and whoever I've been listening to a lot lately, this week Joe Satriani.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Not Ibanez, although I do own one.

Playability, comfort and the overall eyegasm is gives me.

Have played a couple. Completely dispise the body design. It's good for what it's geared towards.

There is no way Ibby is about to pony up for air time. Let's be real here.

Classic Rock/Blues, but pretty much anything on any given day.

Thank you so much.

You're welcome.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I like homemade stuff... cause I can make it how I want it. So name brands and what not become less important to me its more in how the guitar plays...

I've only played one ibanez I've ever liked, it was an acoustic one and i liked it because it was electric shaped ... therefore more familar to what I normally play. The reason I dont like ibanez guitars is because of the itty bitty necks... too small to be comfortable in my hand... Also a lot of the shapes are lame ... like the RG and billion other ones they have that look just like the RG but arnt called an RG...

I used to think it was cool, but every time i look at it it seems like its got less and less body and the 4 points are sticking out at wrong angles and dont match up or correlate with the other points properly. The 27 fret one is a nice feature... but its kinda an odd number/note to end on... and its nothing I personally need... but you can only go so far without taking all the pickups out and fret access becomes a problem...

Well over here in Canada that would be CBC, CTV, Global, and A Channel. A channel gets NBC programs such as Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien, Global gets Fox programs such as The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, Simpsons, American Dad. Where as CBC and CTV is Canadian programming such as the news, The Hour and political satire shows.. I dont know that Ibanez would pipe up to make a comercial for canadian guitar players...lol

Rock, Classic Rock, Arena Rock, Grunge rock, Instrumental Rock.. Van Halen, The Who, Satch, Pearl Jam, The Cult, Chicken Foot.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Gibson

Yes, looks, price and playability.

Well.......I don't like the looks but the 27 frets could be something handy.

They could go on Discovery Channel and say theyve created the guitar that will save the world . Sorry thats all ive got.

Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Ozzy Osbourne.
Def Leppard.
Boston.
Gov't Mule.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Fender

In most cases, Ibanez doesn't really fit my needs. That said, I do really enjoy the quality I've experienced with the handful I've played (mostly Artcore and S series guitars. The Prestige S is probably one of the nicer guitars I've ever played).

I haven not played one so I can't make a sound statement on that. Cosmetically, the Xiphos really doesn't do too much for me–I'm not really a fan of 'X' and 'V'-bodied guitars.

As an advertiser myself, I'm going to have to say that that is where I leave off and where your secondary research comes in.

I like Progressive (The Mars Volta), Post Hardcore (At The Drive-In, Alexisonfire), some Pop-Punk (Alkaline Trio, The Lawrence Arms), and the classics (The Beatles, Led Zeppelin)
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I'm getting some great information and I really appreciate it.
In this order
1) Ibanez
2) Gibson
3) Fender

Yes. The price is good, I love the necks, and their tremolo systems are great. I mean sure, I can't tell the difference between any of them, but the ones I've tried were pretty good.

I haven't tried one, and I don't like the body design. Even though I like Ibanez, I dislike most "Metal" designs.

I watch the Discovery Channel and its variants, along with Comedy Central (not much of a TV person)

Instrumental Progressive (Vai, Satch, etc), Indie music, hard rock, etc.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
It depends on the guitars, not the brand. If they have the specs I need and play well, they are good, limiting yourself on brands is not good.

The only Ibanez guitars I would get is one of their semi hollowbody guitars. They are great to play, sound good and are a quite good value.
Other than that I dislike most of their guitars for their Edge tremolos because you can get far better trem systems than the ones on their higher-end guitars IMO.

I don't like their shape, never played one though.

I live in Austria, so what television I'm watching might not help you at all. Also I wouldn't want commercials on TV for guitars, since most of the sound which would be shown comes from amps. Amp and pedal demos would be cool though.

I like Hard Rock and Metal. Some bands: Metallica, RATM, GNR, ACDC, Airbourne, SOAD, Billy Talent, ZZ Top.

Thank you so much.
No problem, buddy.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Ibanez

Thin necks, cheap second-hand, older models are great quality

Haven't played one, but I like the shape.

I don't watch much TV, but I mostly watch Comedy Central, MSNBC, and Discovery Channel.

Death metal, progressive metal. Fav. bands are Between the Buried and Me, Black Dahlia Murder, Meshuggah, Arsis, Cannibal Corpse, Faceless, and Death.
Washburn

I like the quality of Ibanez, and the vast range of products they have. I don't own one just because of the fact that their necks don't fit my hands right, but that is no fault of theirs.

It's...alright.

I don't watch the tele.

I'll just list a few bands here that encompass my genres: Wu Tang Clan, Buckethead (All of his stuff), Billy Joel, Mastodon, Baroness, Kyuss, Jimi Hendrix, Rachmoninov
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Jackson

Not really.

Doesn't really appeal to me.

Sky One, Dave, ITV.

Metttaaallll.
Above post may or may not be true.
Carvin and Ibanez

For the money you can't beat the value of an Ibanez. Great playability, the tremolo's are great, and the necks feel great.

Awesome look, I love the 27 frets, not a fan of the Edge 3 but it's still a good guitar. The satin finish on the neck is great as well.

Spike, VH1, MTV

Tool, Meshuggah, Metallica, Lamb of God, Dream Theater
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ibanez if I want to keep me from starvation. Else Jackson.
I indeed am a fan, due to my recent purchase of an used Ibanez VBT-700. And the price was excellent. The playability was of one of the best guitars I've ever played. And I choose this model because it had 24 frets, looked like a beast (V shaped) and has very good DiMarzio pickups.
I haven't played one, but seriously, one of the best explorer-shaped guitars.
TV3, BBC, Discovery.
Obituary, Overkill, Exodus, Death Angel, Arsis.
My gear:
Guitars:
- Ibanez VBT-700
Amplifiers:
- Marshall DSL401
Ibanez or ESP. I'm a fan of both.
I am a very big fan. The overall quality of what you pay for is great. I picked up my RG because of the thin neck, and how comfortable it was to play. Also, it was orange, kick ass.
I've seen one in person. It was the blue/red one. It was ugly. I like the black or green one a lot more. The body design is pretty awesome, if I could spare money for another guitar I would probably get one with a non-tremolo bridge.
Cartoon Network/Discovery Channel/Tru TV
Electronic. Some metal. Favorite bands are Ulver and Boris, along with Activator, DJ Sharpnel, and m1dy
Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Fender.

I adore, both the price and features you find in ibanez guitars however i've not owned one as the neck profile has never suited me.

It's outlandish and original, but i've never found them comfortable to play sat down.

I'm watching television in the UK, but i wouldn't want to see guitar adverts.

Blues through to Heavy Rock and too many to list as i listen to an enormous amount of music.

Hope it helps.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
- Jackson

- I do like some Ibanez guitars, but not all of them. The necks are generally thin and fast to play which suits various types of music, and most look pretty good too.

- I have played a Xiphos (one of the older models) but it was set up very poorly so I can't make a judgement on it. Design wise I really like it, but some of the colours they've used (the glittery one for example) are abit too much for me

- E4, ITV, Dave

- I mostly listen to metal and some -core varieties. Also listen to some blues, jazz and flamenco music along with rock etc.

My favourite bands at the moment are Dream theater and Killswitch Engage
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Fender

I like a few Ibanez models since they seem to have a very nice neck.

What are your views on the Ibanez Xiphos guitars? If you have not played one what
do you think of the body design?
I like the body shape and find the 27 frets a good new idea since it seems to make access to other frets alot easier. It has a pretty good stock tone, and the body is not annoyingly shaped. The Chameleon color options are also very cool.

I watch History Channel, Comedy Central, and food network, but I doubt many guitarists watch History to often.

I listen mostly to stuff like Maiden, Ac/Dc, Pantera, Metallica, Trivium, Older Green Day stuff, Linkin Park, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Hendrix.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
This is 2 months old, I'm sure its done by now.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Most likely right, not everyone thinks of checking the date....
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Ibanez, ESP and Gibson

Yes, price, quality and reliability, style.

Never played one...Funky and Original

Toshiba lol... thats a toughy... MTV, Much Music, Much more music?

All kinds of rock, country, techno lol pretty much everything

hope that helps
I own a xiphos

What is your preferred brand of choice? Fender, Hand built

Are you a fan of Ibanez guitars? If so why? Is it the price, playability, what factors cause you to pick up an Ibanez? I was, a bit overpriced, not that great for my current main genre, great for shredding and teaching lessons with

What are your views on the Ibanez Xiphos guitars? If you have not played one what do you think of the body design? It surprisingly comfortably, well balanced

NBC
ABC
CBS

Indie, SHoegaze ambient, Used to listen to -Core music
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
What is your preferred brand of choice? Gibson

Are you a fan of Ibanez guitars? If so why? Is it the price, playability, what factors cause you to pick up an Ibanez? They are fun to play but not my main guitar. I'm mainly a semihollow guy.

What are your views on the Ibanez Xiphos guitars? If you have not played one what do you think of the body design? I'm not a big fan of pointy designs but I like this one

What television are you watching? If Ibanez created a commercial to run on major networks, which ones would you most want to see them on?(looking for atleast 3) Comedy Central, Food Network (Haha), and MTV i suppose

What music do you listen to? Favorite bands or particular styles of music? I listen to mainly from hard rock to shoegaze. Also alot of indie stuff.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Ibanez

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Ibanez necks are my favorite. They make awesome guitars and nothing else feels more right in my hands.

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

I think the design is pretty awesome. Definitely a modern take on the "star" style of guitars. I only with that they offered a prestige version with a higher quality bridge than the edge 3.

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Comedy Central, Fox, or TBS.

Quote by GuitarDudeMan

Rock, Metal, Progressive, and all subcategories of those genres.
My favorite bands include Van Halen, Dream Theater, Muse, Foo Fighters, and Tool
No brand loyalty, the one that meets my specifications.

I like the Artcores, very handsome and reasonably priced, the others' necks are so thin that they're unplayable for me.

Neck's too thin, body looks a bit over the top for me, but that's just me.

Metalocalypse, House, The Colbert Report, The Office. Metalocalypse and Headbanger's Ball would be effective for your purposes

Extreme metal and blues, mostly. I play and write extreme metal, I like Behemoth, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Death, Dimmu Borgir, Dethklok, Cradle of Filth, etc. I also like Mastodon and Coheed and Cambria. My favorite blues artists are Buddy Guy, Albert King, and B.B. So, I'd need a guitar with passable cleans.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Ibanez and Fender

Yes. I like how the neck feels, their bodies are generally comfortable to play sitting down, they sound good, and aren't way too expensive.

I have not played it, but I think it's ridiculously ugly.

Comedy Central
Cartoon Network
Spike TV

Blues, metal, hard rock, alt rock, classic rock, punk rock.
What is your preferred brand of choice? Ibanez/Dean

Are you a fan of Ibanez guitars? If so why? Is it the price, playability, what factors cause you to pick up an Ibanez? Yes. There good priced, good pickups, very playable

What are your views on the Ibanez Xiphos guitars? If you have not played one what do you think of the body design? I like the design, very easy to reach the high frets, and comes woth good pickups

History Channel, ESPN, and VH1

Metal and shred. I listen to most everything though
Clapton is god, accept it.
Definitely not Ibanez. Probably Gibson.

I only ever pick up an Ibanez when I need a good laugh in guitar center. I am a fan of Ibanez guitars in the same way that hemophiliacs are fans of rotary saws.

I think the Xiphos should be categorized as a crime against humanity and outlawed under the Geneva Convention.

Home Shopping Network, Lifetime Movies Channel, and CSPAN2.

I listen to Lady Gaga and the Ting Tings, though not always at the same time.

*Please note that my answers are a commentary on the Ibanez fellatio going on in this thread and should not be taken seriously.