I had never take singing lesson cause i wasn't intoned and my voice wasn't really powerful, but now i m seeing that with the hard studio on guitar my voice get better and better and for sure i can sing a note and go higher. So my question is: for sure it depend by your potential, but how much singing lesson can make you good? A bad singer can become a very good singer or something not bad but not really good?
Last edited by rainboworiginal at Nov 4, 2009,
everybody has some level to which they can sing/hold a note unless you're completely tonedeaf. lessons will bring you close to your personal best
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Basically with singing lessons, your taught the technical skills that's all, and through doing them they do CLEARLY make your voice better, so in one sense it can make anyone who sounds awful into a somewhat decent singer - HOWEVER - there is ALWAYS many factors, such as natural talent, what shit you've done to your vocal chords (such as heavy smoking/drinking or screaming incorrectly), so in essence, then can make you slightly better by simply giving you a step up, but that doesn't make you a great singer, it makes you a better than average singer :P

Vocal lessons are a waste of money i feel, youtube provides everything you need with the right videos, and common sense.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by burn the stars
i cant even read this...

Eh, sorry but my english isn't good.

Now i read the other post.
Quote by Anthony1991
Basically with singing lessons, your taught the technical skills that's all, and through doing them they do CLEARLY make your voice better, so in one sense it can make anyone who sounds awful into a somewhat decent singer - HOWEVER - there is ALWAYS many factors, such as natural talent, what shit you've done to your vocal chords (such as heavy smoking/drinking or screaming incorrectly), so in essence, then can make you slightly better by simply giving you a step up, but that doesn't make you a great singer, it makes you a better than average singer :P

Vocal lessons are a waste of money i feel, youtube provides everything you need with the right videos, and common sense.

Yea i was attracted by singing lessons but if i have to spend time for something that can take me at a mid-good level but nothing more, maybe it will be better to spend money and time on my principal skill. Anyway any of you experienced to start with a bad voice and become a singer good enough for a rock band?
Quote by rainboworiginal
Yea i was attracted by singing lessons but if i have to spend time for something that can take me at a mid-good level but nothing more, maybe it will be better to spend money and time on my principal skill. Anyway any of you experienced to start with a bad voice and become a singer good enough for a rock band?

I self taught myself, with assistance via youtube.

I started off not great, but not awful to such an extent that i couldn't be helped. But now i'm pretty good so i've been told, and if others say that and have operatic backgrounds, then you're on a good level :P
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I couldnt sing for shit when I came into puberty and my voice changed.
I took singing lessons and I can say that I can sing better than a lot of people. I'm 16 and i'm taking singing lessons for less than a year. I can sing from Garth brooks (yeah my voice is kinda deep and grown up even if im only 16) and can go to like Wherever you will go and im missing just a little to reach some lower songs by bon jovi and bryan adams. Work and free will can get you everywhere.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I was a terrible, terrible, terrible singer before taking lessons. I have absolutely NO natural ability to sing. The only reason I can sing anything is because I learned how.

Proof: Here is a recording I made before taking lessons. Keep in mind that this was after doing about 30 takes to get the best one, and then doing numerous punch-ins to fix the bad parts. :eek

www.now-here-this.com/don_t_change_your_mind__92-93.mp3

Now, that same song can be found at my band's website in the mp3 player at www.now-here-this.com . By then, I would do three takes - each would sound nearly identical, and I would comp them together into a final vocal. I also have much more difficult stuff to sing in my profile. (Oh, Holy Night....)

The difference.... learning how to do it.

As far as learning from the internet, etc., here is my opinion on that:

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I
As far as learning from the internet, etc., here is my opinion on that:

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

CT

you always have the answers for stuff dont you?

anyways this article is true for a lot more things then singing

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by speedy1330
you always have the answers for stuff dont you?

anyways this article is true for a lot more things then singing

My favourite part - maybe I should elaborate on it more - is the analogy of learning to swim on line.

I'd just *love* to see how that would play out. Take a person who can't swim. Prop him in front of a few hours of YouTube videos on swimming, and then drop him in a pool.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
My favourite part - maybe I should elaborate on it more - is the analogy of learning to swim on line.

I'd just *love* to see how that would play out. Take a person who can't swim. Prop him in front of a few hours of YouTube videos on swimming, and then drop him in a pool.

CT

Its perfectly possible, just most people can't match physical side to their mental side :P

if i'd of been offered free singing lessons i'd of taken them, but at the same time im glad i learnt by myself

And thanks for that link btw, it'll provide some fun hours late at night:P
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
lol Chris you sounded like an angel compared to me when I started
I found this clip on my old hdd, and keep in mind I was already singing for about a month and this is not even the worst clip I could find.

http://www.box.net/shared/cp81f8on3u

hooooly shit was I bad, no matter what happens I should at least get some respect for not giving up when I sounded like that at the start.
and I always wondered why my first teacher thought I was a baritone when I'm now clearly a tenor, makes a bit more sense after listening to these, was I tying to immitate the Crash Test Dummies guy or something? uuuuugh horrible douche-chills.
Last edited by Cheeseman07 at Nov 11, 2009,

You also should at least get some respect for posting that. My example was as *good* as it got - thirty takes and overdubs to fix the bad parts. Oh yeah, I have worse examples. But no.... I just can't bring myself to post 'em. Way too ashamed.

CT