Dunno whether this question has been has been posed before, but i was wondering what would be the best amp under £250 (350-400$)? I play alot of rock/alternative/grunge etc. so recommendations would be welcome. I was initially thinking the line 6 4 spider 75, what about anything else?
-
How long have you been playing man? If you're new, the Spider will suit you just fine.
If you've been playing for a while, then God no, not the Spider. LOL
If you're looking for a modeling type amp - try a Peavey Vypyr. What amp do you currently have?
if you don't want effects or you've already got them, have a look at a blackstar ht-5 or marshall class 5
^ aren't they both a bit over £250? i only ask because i always get slagged off when i say, "when you say "£250", does that mean "£300"?"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by x7shadesofblack
How long have you been playing man? If you're new, the Spider will suit you just fine.
If you're looking for a modeling type amp - try a Peavey Vypyr. What amp do you currently have?

I am new too owning an electric guitar...been playing for about a year on an acoustic. I am getting a 350 pound guitar what would be your advice then still line 6 or something else?
-
Quote by x7shadesofblack

Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt =

Anything over a 30 watt Spider becomes and oversized practice amp and you can find better amps for around the same price.

TS: Name some bands that you play. Saying rock/alternative/grunge opens the door to about a billion different tones.

Also, would you be willing to buy a used amp?

Are you going to be using this amp primarily for bedroom practice, jamming with friends, gigging, or a mixture of the three?
^ agreed. and what's your total budget (including amp, guitar, any pedals, etc.)? what's your current guitar and amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by womblecelt
I am new too owning an electric guitar...been playing for about a year on an acoustic. I am getting a 350 pound guitar what would be your advice then still line 6 or something else?

My advice is spend less on the guitar, more on the amp. The majority of your tone comes from your amp, so if you have a crappy amp you're gonna have crappy tone.

Rule of thumb:

Good guitar + crap amp = crap tone

Cheaper guitar + good amp = good tone
you're better off with a roland cube 30x, peavey vypyr 30 or vox vt30, or you could get a cheap 4 or 5 watt valve amp and a decent multi fx pedal
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt =

Anything over a 30 watt Spider becomes and oversized practice amp and you can find better amps for around the same price.

TS: Name some bands that you play. Saying rock/alternative/grunge opens the door to about a billion different tones.

Also, would you be willing to buy a used amp?

Are you going to be using this amp primarily for bedroom practice, jamming with friends, gigging, or a mixture of the three?

Smashing pumpkins, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgaren, metallica, bowie etc.

I would purchase second hand- and i am going to be jamming and practicing not gigging.
-
Basically, solidstate with a preamp will give you a decent tone (Randall Michael Amott anyone).
Marshall AVT, Vox Valvetronix, Randall something something, etc.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
My advice is spend less on the guitar, more on the amp. The majority of your tone comes from your amp, so if you have a crappy amp you're gonna have crappy tone.

Rule of thumb:

Good guitar + crap amp = crap tone

Cheaper guitar + good amp = good tone

Alright...sounds like an idea. so instead of spending 350 on gtar and 250 on amp you would recommend 250 gtar and 350 on an amp?
-
possibly. it depends on what your current gear is. if you already have a £250 guitar there's not much point in doing that, lol.

you don't want to cheap out too much on the guitar, either. If you had £1500, then £500 on the guitar and £1000 on the amp might be about right. But at £500 or £600, personally i'd split it about evenly, depending on current gear, tones required, etc. (and also just what happens to be available around your budget- if there's an amp which'll do what you want perfectly and puts you £20 over, it'd be worth saving for, kind of thing).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
possibly. it depends on what your current gear is. if you already have a £250 guitar there's not much point in doing that, lol.

you don't want to cheap out too much on the guitar, either. If you had £1500, then £500 on the guitar and £1000 on the amp might be about right. But at £500 or £600, personally i'd split it about evenly, depending on current gear, tones required, etc. (and also just what happens to be available around your budget- if there's an amp which'll do what you want perfectly and puts you £20 over, it'd be worth saving for, kind of thing).

so what would be the best amp for 350? with something like a 250 pound ibanez (or somehtin) to play the stuff stated above?
-
Quote by Charlie4
Basically, solidstate with a preamp will give you a decent tone (Randall Michael Amott anyone).
Marshall AVT, Vox Valvetronix, Randall something something, etc.

The Randall Ninja isn't you're typical "hybrid" (actually it really is a hybrid, where most "hybrids" aren't) - three tubes in the preamp (whereas the ones you've mentioned only have one) and a mosfet power section. Don't compare real hybrids to cheap gimmick ones.
Quote by womblecelt
I am getting a 350 pound guitar what would be your advice then still line 6 or something else?

holy hell, I didn't know they made them that big.

But in all seriousness I would agree with the others who have said that spending more money on the amp would be best. the difference in quality between a $250 and a $350 guitar will not be that big, but there are some decent amps in the upper edge of that price range.

I would avoid the spider personally. I used to have one, and while it is pretty versatile, it doesn't do any one thing terribly well.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by womblecelt
so what would be the best amp for 350? with something like a 250 pound ibanez (or somehtin) to play the stuff stated above?

depends, really. for grungey type stuff, something like a peavey classic 30, maybe, or a laney vc30 if you can't stretch to the classic 30. Though you might need a pedal to boost what distortion the amp has, an overdrive or similar. And some grunge (e.g. the pumpkins) uses fuzz, you kinda need a pedal for that almost regardless of the amp as most amps don't sound terrible fuzzy.

what era of metallica do you mainly play? that's going to be the problem at your budget.

if you can't stretch to either, something like a peavey valveking might be a decent all-rounder, but the reliability might be a bit iffy on those. It's very versatile, though, especially for the money, but it doesn't really excel at any one thing.

that's assuming you want to go tube.

for the guitar, it's really up to you, it needs to feel comfortable. Personally, i'd get a fat or superstrat in either HSH or HSS pickup configuration, as that's very versatile, and you'd have several options- yamaha pacifica (highest model you can afford, probably either the 412 or 612, but if you're going used you might find an 812, which is very nice), lag has some nice HSS guitars, the jets, I've seen some good offers online (you'd want to be looking at at least the 200 series), godin makes some nice superstrats around your budget, especially if you go second hand, etc. etc.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
The Randall Ninja isn't you're typical "hybrid" (actually it really is a hybrid, where most "hybrids" aren't) - three tubes in the preamp (whereas the ones you've mentioned only have one) and a mosfet power section. Don't compare real hybrids to cheap gimmick ones.

agreed. I haven't tried the ninja, but i've tried the v2, which is a similar idea i think. it's definitely a lot nicer than the avts etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. I haven't tried the ninja, but i've tried the v2, which is a similar idea i think. it's definitely a lot nicer than the avts etc.

I believe the Ninja is a V2, but Amott's signature model. Not sure what the difference is?
yeah, i think so. i think it might be (more) aimed at t3h br00tz. That's what i've read in guitar mag reviews, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
take a look at the peavey vypyr it might be what ur looking for.
i also agree that an amp is more important to your tone(amp=#1), as i know from expierence with both crappy guitar and even crappier amp and when i got a nice vypyr it shredded my old amp to pieces lol
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends, really. for grungey type stuff, something like a peavey classic 30, maybe, or a laney vc30 if you can't stretch to the classic 30. Though you might need a pedal to boost what distortion the amp has, an overdrive or similar. And some grunge (e.g. the pumpkins) uses fuzz, you kinda need a pedal for that almost regardless of the amp as most amps don't sound terrible fuzzy.

what era of metallica do you mainly play? that's going to be the problem at your budget.

if you can't stretch to either, something like a peavey valveking might be a decent all-rounder, but the reliability might be a bit iffy on those. It's very versatile, though, especially for the money, but it doesn't really excel at any one thing.

that's assuming you want to go tube.

for the guitar, it's really up to you, it needs to feel comfortable. Personally, i'd get a fat or superstrat in either HSH or HSS pickup configuration, as that's very versatile, and you'd have several options- yamaha pacifica (highest model you can afford, probably either the 412 or 612, but if you're going used you might find an 812, which is very nice), lag has some nice HSS guitars, the jets, I've seen some good offers online (you'd want to be looking at at least the 200 series), godin makes some nice superstrats around your budget, especially if you go second hand, etc. etc.

The metalica one isn't that great an issue, i play mostly nirvana et al and pumpkins. I don;t want to be constrained to playing these though but i would be palying these most. So would you still echo your recommendation?
-
i think so. I should probably add that i'm not that much into grunge, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you've only been playing a year and are just jamming at home I'd say a 30w (tube) amp might be too much.

Perhaps a Laney VC15 + ProCo RAT ?
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
If you've only been playing a year and are just jamming at home I'd say a 30w (tube) amp might be too much.

Perhaps a Laney VC15 + ProCo RAT ?

You reckon? was looking at about a £400 budget for both amp gtar (i know i said about 600 too start with, but that was with at 400quid gtar). Whats all your opinions on an Ibanez art120 and peavey vypyr30?
-
i'd agree with chris, except having tried both the vc15 and vc30 head to head, i thought the 30 sounded noticeably better.

regarding the vypyr- it really depends on how much you're willing to spend. i haven't tried the vypyr, but assuming it's a similar idea to the cube and valvetronix, i'd rather have a tube amp (assuming a tube amp suitable for the tones i was after was under budget).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I believe the Ninja is a V2, but Amott's signature model. Not sure what the difference is?

Yeah the ninja is a V2, with a slightly different gain structure....if you listen hard, I think the ninja has a slightly better clean channel and a smoother tube OD. I bought the V2, the slight differences I heard didn't justify an extra £100!

Oh and so I'm not off topic, I would reccomend a valveking...very versatile and can get some pretty good tones out of them, it's not gonna get your perfect tone on any one thing, but you should be able to get pretty close to most of them whilst you're finding your tone, then you can get something more "you" at a later date

EDIT: Just to be specific, I remember when I was new and all these names were getting thrown around it confused the hell out of me, it's a Peavey Valveking
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Nov 5, 2009,
the peavy vyrpyr 30, looks too be the better option, its 150 quid cheaper than the Laney VC15 and looking at the review online (i really don't know how helpful this is) it seems the peavey is better...thoughts?
-
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd agree with chris, except having tried both the vc15 and vc30 head to head, i thought the 30 sounded noticeably better.
It is; the cleans are nicer and I wanted mine for gigging too.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by womblecelt
the peavy vyrpyr 30, looks too be the better option, its 150 quid cheaper than the Laney VC15 and looking at the review online (i really don't know how helpful this is) it seems the peavey is better...thoughts?

Personally, I hate the vyper with a passion and would avoid it like the plague. I tried it and found it too complex to use and couldn't get a decent sound out of it
Just to get the typical advice in here, GO TRY STUFF! What might work for other people could be horrible for you. Personally I'd look at the Laney's and just decide how likely it is that you'll be playing with other people & a drummer in the future and get the 15W if it's not too likely or the 30W if it is.

Decent distortion pedal will help you with grunge as well, something like the ProCo Rat would serve you well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ChrisN
It is; the cleans are nicer and I wanted mine for gigging too.

oh ok.

Quote by womblecelt

i haven't tried the vypyr, but assuming it's broadly similar to the other modellers in the same price range, it'll be more versatile than the laneys, but not sound as good. the modellers (the cheaper ones, anyway) are an imitation, the tube amps are the real deal, kind of thing. of course, because the cheaper tube amps aren't super-versatile, you have to be sure they'll do the tones you want. And if the modeller does the tones you want better, by all means go for the modeller.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first though when I read this was 'Laney LC15 + Big Muff'.
However, the Vypyr, or perhaps the Vox Valvetronix series, are often helpful for beginners as it gives you access to a wider range of tones.

I suggest going to a music shop and asking the staff to demo a few amps for you, use your ears.