Okay, so I've decided on getting a new nut/bridge/tuners for my Yamaha Pacifica, its a 112M model if that matters. Anyways, I've taken the old tremolo bridge off and I'm looking at the tremolos they've got on GFS (I want some cheap upgrades, and I've used their tremolos before, so I'm fine with them) and I see most of their bridges have the measurements and stuff on the page, but how do I measure my bridge? It'll say stuff like "If your screw holes are so and so, this is a drop-in!" but I have no idea how I'm susposed to measure that stuff, from the inner edges of the hole? Outer edges? Middle of the hole FFS?!

Or it'll say measure the distance between strings, how do I do this? Is this the distance between the middle of each saddle, the distance between the string holes in the sustain(?) block? Or the distance between strings when strung up, because I'd hate to have to restring this guitar for a measurement.

ANyways, while I wait for some answers I'm gonna go google Yamaha and try and find the bridge measurements. So hopefully I'll find something by the end of the day.
^yeah generally that is the rule for most measurements
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by AngryNoiseDude
Okay, so I've decided on getting a new nut/bridge/tuners for my Yamaha Pacifica, its a 112M model if that matters. Anyways, I've taken the old tremolo bridge off and I'm looking at the tremolos they've got on GFS (I want some cheap upgrades, and I've used their tremolos before, so I'm fine with them) and I see most of their bridges have the measurements and stuff on the page, but how do I measure my bridge? It'll say stuff like "If your screw holes are so and so, this is a drop-in!" but I have no idea how I'm susposed to measure that stuff, from the inner edges of the hole? Outer edges? Middle of the hole FFS?!

Or it'll say measure the distance between strings, how do I do this? Is this the distance between the middle of each saddle, the distance between the string holes in the sustain(?) block? Or the distance between strings when strung up, because I'd hate to have to restring this guitar for a measurement.

ANyways, while I wait for some answers I'm gonna go google Yamaha and try and find the bridge measurements. So hopefully I'll find something by the end of the day.

Gap between strings, is the gap between the string notch on the saddle, to the string notch on the next saddle. Normally this will help you with deciding if you need F spaced pickups or not, which you shouldn't need to worry about as on the Pacifica they should be F spaced, but will help you choose the right trem.

As for the mounting holes, you measure these centre to centre, but personally, I would glue dowels in the holes, cut and sand them flush and make new holes for the new screws. This should give a more solid fixing and will also allow you to control where you put the bridge, as opposed to relying on it being right in the first place.

To position your new bridge;

- Mark the centreline on the body with pencil, from the neck pocket to passed the bridge.

- On that line, mark the scale length from the edge of the nut, to the area of the bridge.

- Draw a line across the guitar at the scale length measurement at 90 degrees to the centreline (use a square like you would in Math!).

- If your neck looks straight, put a long straight edge against the side of the neck so you can continue the line of the neck towards the bridge. Draw this line in so it passes your scale length line. Do this for both sides of the neck.

- Grab your new bridge. Wind out the high and low E saddles so that they are almost fully forward (about 16th/inch travel left), they should both be level with each other.

- Pop your bridge in place and line everything up, so that the break point of the two e saddles lines up with your scale length line and so the bridge is square to the centre line.

I would then mark the front edge of the bridge on the body, then centre punch the screw holes. Then you can pilot each hole, pop your bridge in, line up and screw down.

Remember that for proper intonation, the scale length is relevant to the High E saddle ONLY. Wind you low e saddle back to where it was.

String up and tune up, intonate, done.

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Not to jack this thread but how do you determine the centerline of a guitar since most are asymmetrical?
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
Not to jack this thread but how do you determine the centerline of a guitar since most are asymmetrical?

Connect a line through the center of the pickups.