I have been considering the Krank Rev Jr. Pro 20W for a while but earlier today I had an opportunity to sit down with one.. I found that I really am on the "love" side of the Krank love-hate relationship. Shortly thereafter, I changed my preorder on MusiciansFriend for a 6505 1x12 combo to a Rev Jr. Pro.

That being said, while I wait for the head to come in the mail, I am in the market for a cab. I had an opportunity to try it on the Rev Jr. 1x12 which was good, but I would prefer a 2x12 just for the sake of spreading the sound better and giving a better bass response. It also opens up possibilities for mixing/matching speakers.

My two options at the moment are:
- Used Mesa Recto 2x12 horizontal cab (V30s) - $400-450ish, no shipping (local)
- New Avatar 2x12 Contemporary cab (what speakers?) - $468 after shipping

I mostly play metal/metalcore and some progressive and shred stuff on occasion. I'd like my tone to have a tight bottom end so a closed back would be preferred. I also want a nice crunch and some top end sizzle. Any recommendations in the $500 or less range would be much appreciated.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
i just got my avatar i went with the v30 and g12 and it sounds awesome but i went with the classic because i got it for a lot cheaper with the metal grill
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by CatharsisStudio
rev jr pro ****ing rules. trust me your gonna want a 4x12 so get the avatar with v30s or hellatone 60's (they are brokein v30s) mos def a 4x12

Hell, I wouldn't mind a 4x12, but the neighbors might This will be mostly for bedroom practice and occasional jamming. I think a 2x12 would be my best bet. Should I still shoot for the Hellatones?
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Nov 4, 2009,
I just got my Vader 2x12, $500 shipped. LOVE IT. I play metal, and the cab sound much tighter than the recto-cab I almost bought.
Used Mesa Recto 2x12 for sure.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Used Mesa Recto 2x12 for sure.

+1, not even a question, the Mesa is built better than the Avatar and will sound better because the speakers will already be broken in

Plus it has a lot higher resale value.

Quote by DrNick
As opposed to the Rectifier series, how much of a difference would the Road King 2x12 (half-back) make?

Got a local person selling that. He says the high offer on it is $325 now - I'll probably offer $350 or $375 and we'll take it from there.

<$400 for a RK cab is an awesome deal. It would sound very nice for cleans, might be a little on the loose side for distortion, but then again I've never used a halfback cab before, so the mix could be just right. Definitely the best choice value-wise though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1, not even a question, the Mesa is built better than the Avatar and will sound better because the speakers will already be broken in

Plus it has a lot higher resale value.

<$400 for a RK cab is an awesome deal. It would sound very nice for cleans, might be a little on the loose side for distortion, but then again I've never used a halfback cab before, so the mix could be just right. Definitely the best choice value-wise though.

Sounds like a plan, I just wish the guy would get back to me, haha.

I'm pretty set on this Mesa cab right now but if anyone else could offer a suggestion other than Mesa or Avatar, that'd be great. Thanks again.
Axe-FX Standard