So i am wondering what you guys think are good metal basses. I am looking at this Epiphone Limited Edition Korina Explorer bass but i am not extrmemely familiar with Epiphone and i have definately never heard of Korina. The only thing i know is that it is basically the Squier of Gibson which is a complete turnoff as i hate my squire guitar. It is a piece of crap basically

So any suggestions or thoughts on the epiphone.
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
So i am wondering what you guys think are good metal basses. I am looking at this Epiphone Limited Edition Korina Explorer bass but i am not extrmemely familiar with Epiphone and i have definately never heard of Korina. The only thing i know is that it is basically the Squier of Gibson which is a complete turnoff as i hate my squire guitar. It is a piece of crap basically

So any suggestions or thoughts on the epiphone.

Remember...Squier guitars aren't actually the same as Epiphones just because they're similar companies
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
you might want to check this out if you have loads of $$$$$$$ http://www.mikelull.com/Instruments/TBass.htm bryan beller is using it on tour with dethklok
epiphone actually has some nice high end instruments, like the prophecy series and others, alot of profesionals use epiphones, so the best advice I have is to try it in person
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I have an Epi T-bird that I use to play metal, and frankly, I couldn't be happier about it. Yes, its difficult to play past the 17th fret, but I've never had an occasion where i couldn't just play the lower frets. Everyone complains about the muddy tone, but if you play with your volume and tone you can get a pretty good growl out of it. I play mine in drop-c and I think it definitely works better in lower tunings.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
The Ibanez SR and SRX series basses are worth checking out. I can get quite a punch out of mine.
I wouldn't epiphone basses are really low in quality. Also the shape is prone to neck dive. On that budget I would recommend a squire vm or cv series or a used ibanez atk 300
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
First piece of advice: try out as many basses as you can.
Second: as to the Squier comment, in the bass world, Squier is quite good, their quality control is usually much higher then that of their guitars (except the affinity series).

The thing with Epiphones is, they truly are a love it/hate it thing. Try them out, but honestly, Epi's are generally avoided in the bass world (no disrespect towards Epi users and T bird lovers). Epiphone/Gibson do not have the best reputation among bassists.
When it comes to suggestions, what exactly is your price range?
General brands to look at would be Ibanez (SR and SRX series, BTB if you have enough money), Fenders are always great if you can afford one, ESP/LTD are pretty good, Schecter (Stiletto series). If you have a lot of cash, and want to go high end: G&L, Warwick, high end Ibanez (SR705 for example), ect.

EDIT: look at used basses too. You can usually get pretty high end stuff for around $300-$500.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 4, 2009,
that epiphone actually looks pretty nice, besides the faulty wiring and neck dive. put some bartolinis in there that puppy would rumble. look at that massive bridge, a step in the right direction I'd say.

Ibanez and ESP are pretty close, ESP have better necks, Ibanez sound nice outside of metal, just look look look!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well my area is around 500 but i would like to get a bit lower so i can also afford an ok amp
Ibanez. Because as hard as it may seem now, you are not going to want to play metal forever and may expand into other genres someday. Ibanez basses are economical and versatile. I use mine for everything from funk to jazz fusion to metal and classic rock.
Quote by anarkee
Ibanez. Because as hard as it may seem now, you are not going to want to play metal forever and may expand into other genres someday. Ibanez basses are economical and versatile. I use mine for everything from funk to jazz fusion to metal and classic rock.

+1
Ibanez is pure win. The LTD isn't bad, but your not going to want the brutal, pointy metal shape forever.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by anarkee

The same goes for Fender.
I like my ESP LTD bass. Its one of the F models, cool look, great sound. Nothing too extreme as far as pointiness goes.
yeah, as for BC Rich i was looking at the Paolo Signature Warlock and people in my other post didn't really seem to warm to that
Squire do damn good basses. I had an affinity series for my first bass and even now it is still pretty good. Ignore looks and ignore names, and go out and try some. Epiphone tend to have a bad reputation in the bass world, so don't buy one without at least trying it before.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Have you looked into schecter yet? they have badass basses.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
im sure the pups in these are the same buckers in the Epi t-bird i think it does suffer neck dive like most Epi/Gibson basses do but if you love it then you put up with it quickly even but its quickly and easily remedied by moving the strap locks :P

the t-bird sounds pretty badass when i play along with a lot of Metallica imo its really deep sounding also i can use it for straight up rock but its not a versatile instrument it struggles with Punk as its a genre dominated by single coils.

Really you dunno where your gonna be so its best looking for ones with a P/J setup like a few Ibanez's.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Actually im really digging the Epi at the moment. Would it be good for extreme metal. I mean i already do play some metallica but its the black metal that im into
Go try stuff out. 'Metal' basses aren't going to do much for you.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I would advise against the epiphone it neck dives, their bridges are not usually very solid and it will quite muddy.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
i have and i know that i don't like Ibanez basses. And i dont' really have anywhere near me that has anything other than ibanez, Dean, and washburn
Quote by alternitivebass
I would advise against the epiphone it neck dives, their bridges are not usually very solid and it will quite muddy.

Actually, the bridge on the explorer bass is a normal hardtail, no horrendus 3 point contraption. Epiphone is learning lol

TS, you don't have to have a particular kind of bass that's "good" for metal. Said "metal" basses are usually either low in quality (i.e. low end B.C. Rich, and Dean), or are just the same as other basses except with an extreme shape you may not like later. I suggest looking at high end Squiers, Schecters, and used Fenders if possible if you don't like Ibanez's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Avoid:

Epiphone - Neck dive and poor quality control
BC Rich - Pretty much every aspect is poor unless you shell out a lot
Dean - Just generally crap...

Go Out and Try:

LTD/ESP - Some love them, some hate them
Ibanez - Are generally VERY well regarded for metal, especially on a budget
Rockbass - Like the Squire version of Warwick
Squire - It's Squire, buy a Jazz VM and you can play anything with it
Schecter - Seem to be pretty bad ass

If you have alot of money:

Musicman - Awesome Growl and Active EQ
Warwick - Equally Awesome Mid Range Growl with less clank and more weird shapes
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 5, 2009,
Ok so taking you advice i came up with THIS .

Its similar to Tom Araya's so thats good with me. Plus its a little under what i was wanting to buy so it's great. If this would be better than any of the others that i liked that would be great
Wow, this is actually way better HERE

Im blown away by them
Only get the 5 string if you really need it. I play a 5 string to play metal, and I hardly use the B string
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 6, 2009,
The maple top on those looks awesome, especially in that purple color. I've played the 4 string version before, its a good bass, really solid feeling. +1 to what ChemicalFire said, only fork out the extra cash for the 5 string if you really think you'll use it a lot.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
i hate my squire guitar. It is a piece of crap basically.

Squier basses are normally better quality than Squier guitars. Or in my experience anyway.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Tostitos
The maple top on those looks awesome, especially in that purple color. I've played the 4 string version before, its a good bass, really solid feeling. +1 to what ChemicalFire said, only fork out the extra cash for the 5 string if you really think you'll use it a lot.

I might get it because it only like 30 bucks more than the 4 string version. Plus, i would rather have the B string in case i may need it on a song.
it's worth it.

you don't have to move around as much.

just know you'll be spending 2-3 more bucks on strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
yeah but thats no big deal. I don't have a problem buying strings