ok so Im not one of those ppl who have a tuner laying around when i need one and i luv to swtich back between standard and drop d but its almost imposible for me to do. Ive heard u shold listen to the D string and change the E to sound like it but that doenst work for me I do have a piano in my house if u can know how to tune drop d with one or have another way of doing it can u plz help me out thanx
Well tbh, if you cant hear the note it should be when listening to the D string, a piano isnt gonna do you much good. Just hold the 7th fret e string and make it sound like the A string. If that doesnt help, train your ear or always have a tuner.
Just fret the 2nd fret A string, hold that, play the low string while tuning it up until it sounds like a powerchord.

EDIT: Read it wrong, thought he was tuning from Drop D back to E Standard.
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by RodeoBrunslid
Well tbh, if you cant hear the note it should be when listening to the D string, a piano isnt gonna do you much good. Just hold the 7th fret e string and make it sound like the A string. If that doesnt help, train your ear or always have a tuner.

This. Tune down till the 7th fret on the low E sounds like the A string open. Or till the 12th fret E string sounds like the D string open. Either one works
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by Roads5
Go buy a "D-Tuna"

Ah yes, the magic D-Tuna that only works on a flat-mounted, dive-only, non low-profile Floyd
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When I want to goto drop D, I just pick the bottom three strings until the whirling sound goes away. When I want to go back to E, I hold an E5 bar chord and tighten the low E string until the chord sounds back in tune. My friend taught me that trick...
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
ok ur sugestions sound good gonna try that A string one thanx for help but does anyone know a good way to get back to standard from drop d?