Hey guys,

So I've been improvising over chord progression for a while now by trying to play melodies using single scales. Recently I've been exploring this idea I've seen about focusing on the chord tones of the current chord being played using an arpeggio, so I've tried incorporating a couple arpeggio shapes into my jamming/improvising.

The main problem I'm having is that I cannot keep up with the chord changes. I don't mean that it takes me too long to look around to know where to play (that is true actually, but I know how to fix that), it's that there doesn't seem to be enough time to play something constructive out of the arpeggio shape in the time the chord lasts, I can only seem to get in a few notes.

What do you guys think about soloing this way? Do I need to be faster and more fluent with the fretboard to really make this work or should I just keep working on it and it will start to sound good or what?

Thanks in advance
for improvising it will only come in time. for soloing write it out before hand.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
well i think its more about how you structure a song/ jam. you really don't need to go fast, you can when its appropriate, but the goal isn't to hit 4billionz notz perz secondz to soundz brutalllllzzzzzz...

you should try plotting out your chords ahead of time by throwing something into guitar pro or whatever. I'd recommend looking at some kind of diagram that shows notes on a guitar neck and trying to find the chord tones for the appropriate chord to make things a bit easier. obviously you can attack this with just a couple bends/slides to more advanced sweeping/string skipping. Just try to stay true to your genre but still be musically individualistic.

try to look for notes that are present in both chords to use as transition notes (this is just one way of doing this obviously). you could try bending/sliding into your next chord or whatever you want. Consider trying to accent/ emphasize the 1st note of the next chord (sometimes but not always) to emphasize the chord change in your solo.

this is a very difficult topic that is often overlooked and its good that your trying to learn this. Overall you should try and incorporate a couple of these ideas, but don't ever let yourself fall into a formula otherwise your solos may end up sounding way to similar. honestly, i don't think their is a correct way of doing this, because its how you get from note to note that makes the song/melody interesting, so improvising is good, but try to do a little composition with it to help add structure and make things a bit more interesting. also play things slow to get it composed right and then speed up appropriately, maybe consider different time signatures like 3/4 5/4, whatever you need.

hope this helps
Hey thanks for the replies guys!

Just for reference I've been using guitar pro to make chord progressions to solo over and also using this site: www.jamstudio.com.

Another thing about this method of soloing is there's just so many shapes it seems overwhelming to be able to memorize the fretboard so well and go seemlessly in and out of arpeggios for different chords.

I guess I got some praciticing to do, and thanks again for the tips!
Start off with less chords, and less changes - say start off with a 2 chord vamp, with each chord playing for 4 bars, then when you're comfortable with that add a chord in, then drop it down to 3 bars each etc
Another way to practice chord tones:

Play each chord for one measure (4 beats), then on each beat play the following:

1st beat: Root of the chord
2nd: 3rd of the chord
3rd: 5th of the chord
4th: Root of the chord (in a different location than the first beat)

At first play only the notes as stated above. When you become comfortable with it, start adding in other notes - but always play the chord tones on the strong beats. And of course you can try mixing up the sequence of chord tones - playing different tones on different beats...

Or...you could play each chord for 4 measures and each measure move to a different location on the fretboard.

Start slow and gradually increase the tempo.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Nov 5, 2009,
Genius! Excellent responses guys! For the first time in my little quest here I have some concrete things I can practice! I'm pretty excited and am going to go practice more!
Quote by jemeput
I dunno if this is true... But I watched some video saying that u can use the notes of the chord to as an arpeggios....

Yes thank you that's....... exactly what I'm asking about....

And in general "to as" doesn't make much sense in an English sentence.