So, I'll try posting this again (it never went through). My drummer has become extremely unreliable. I mean, he always has been, but it's gotten really bad. I've jammed with him once over the year or so he's been in the band. The bassist, and the other guitarist have never played with him, at all. It's always just us without him.

And recently, he's stopped even talking about it. The last time we did, it was him trying to convince us to join a country band, and when everyone else said no, he just stopped talking about it. He's contributed nothing to us, save for a practice space, but the other guitarist has given us a larger one now.

Despite our not wanting to, we're considering kicking him out. Does anyone else think that we should, or should we try something else?
He is no longer interested and doesn't want to talk about it because it would be uncomfortable. He either doesn't feel the vibe with you guys, or he doesn't enjoy the music. Sorry
no, look in school for a new drummer and tell him that you are since he isn't playing with everyone together. its hard to classify him even as a band member since he isn't really even playing with you. if he wants to play then he'll make an immediate effort. I would stress that your not truly in a band stage so it doesn't seem like your kicking him out, because you never know, 2 or 3 years from now he could end up being really good and its usually not a good idea to burn bridges in the music world.

probably should say, were looking for a new drummer since you haven't been playing with us because (reason). if you start jamming with us consistently then we can probably be in a band together, but until then were going to search for drummers since we want to be more serious musically (even if you really don't you should probably say this).
Thanks. I'm thinking I'll talk to him about pulling the lead out, and if he just wants the band to be only a bragging right and doesn't want to take it anywhere, then he can take himself out. I think I'll also tell him we're looking for a new guy to drum.

I feel that he still might want to, because the last time we talked to him about pulling out the lead, he talked about how badly he wanted to be in the band, and how he would.
The only way to not have drummer problems is to not have a drummer.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
lol u have jammed with him once since he's been in the band? why is he even in the band then?
Quote by schwinginbatman
Thanks. I'm thinking I'll talk to him about pulling the lead out, and if he just wants the band to be only a bragging right and doesn't want to take it anywhere, then he can take himself out. I think I'll also tell him we're looking for a new guy to drum.

I feel that he still might want to, because the last time we talked to him about pulling out the lead, he talked about how badly he wanted to be in the band, and how he would.

and now we know that talk is cheap.
Quote by schwinginbatman

Wait ... WHAT? You've been over this with him before and nothing changed, but you STILL think you can motivate him? Are you off your nut???

Get a clue. It's time to recruit a new drummer. In fact it was probably time months ago.
You don't have to stop being his friend, but you need to get him out of your band.
If he never showed, it's a dead issue. He's just out. Canceled due to lack of interest.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Doesn't sound to me like he is actually in the band. I mean, you've jammed with him once over a year. I don't see how that is an actual band member, or do you only practice once a year? Although you wouldn't be complaining if that was the case I guess.

As he isn't actually in the band you can just search for another band member, you don't need to kick him out.
What you need to do is program drums that match your songs and practice with these drums at a loud volume so its like having a drummer as much as it can be because it is very hard to find good drummers in some places.

Until you get a good drummer this is probably your best option. It is never good to practice your official songs without something to make sure you are on tempo and beat.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Doesn't sound to me like he is actually in the band. I mean, you've jammed with him once over a year. I don't see how that is an actual band member, or do you only practice once a year? Although you wouldn't be complaining if that was the case I guess.

As he isn't actually in the band you can just search for another band member, you don't need to kick him out.

Yeah, while we never got to jam very much, but with him we did once, in the, say, 4 months he's had a set, but he never really did much the remainder of the time he's been in.

EDIT: And I doubt we'll need machines, drummers aren't too hard to find around here.
Last edited by schwinginbatman at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by schwinginbatman
Yeah, while we never got to jam very much, but with him we did once, in the, say, 4 months he's had a set, but he never really did much the remainder of the time he's been in.

EDIT: And I doubt we'll need machines, drummers aren't too hard to find around here.

i h8 u.

seriously tho, if this is the case, whybother with the thread? replace his ass ASAP.
Quote by GrisKy
i h8 u.

seriously tho, if this is the case, whybother with the thread? replace his ass ASAP.

Well, we need to, no doubt but we don't want to, he's a really good friend of ours and he probably wouldn't be very happy about getting kicked out, although he has tried to boot the bassist before.
tell him if he doesnt practise hell be kicked out...you know he wont practise but at least you would have warned him
plus if he tried kicking out the bassist for no reason (i guess the bassist is good) then its only cos he knows hes not giving much
Quote by '93
tell him if he doesnt practise hell be kicked out...you know he wont practise but at least you would have warned him
plus if he tried kicking out the bassist for no reason (i guess the bassist is good) then its only cos he knows hes not giving much

No, the story behind that was that he wanted to kick out the bassist so this girl he was wanting to date could fill the position (who turned out to not even be who he thought she was), despite the fact that he's the only bassist we know, and he writes all the lyrics.
Quote by schwinginbatman
Well, we need to, no doubt but we don't want to, he's a really good friend of ours and he probably wouldn't be very happy about getting kicked out, although he has tried to boot the bassist before.

Like I said, you can't kick somebody out of a band if they don't have any input in the first place. Quite simply because they aren't technically in the band.

If you don't want to let him know that he can't be in the band then just carry on as you have been. You'll never get a solid band together, but at least his feelings aren't hurt.
The point of motivation has passed. Sounds like he's dragging you on a bit.
"Kick" him out and buy a cheap drum machine while you look for a drummer.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Like I said, you can't kick somebody out of a band if they don't have any input in the first place. Quite simply because they aren't technically in the band.

If you don't want to let him know that he can't be in the band then just carry on as you have been. You'll never get a solid band together, but at least his feelings aren't hurt.

Touche. I think I'll tell him that he can't be in the band if doesn't want to work, and wait a week or so. No results, he's out.
Think of your band as a business. You're trying to sell a product. If one member of you team isn't into pushing that product, then they have to go.

You and your other bands memebers have to do what's best for the band even if he is a friend. If you want to make proress, you need to get someone behind you that is serious.
Quote by schwinginbatman
The bassist said to just to get a new drummer and not tell him about it, until he asks. Good idea?

YES!
I don't see how you can even consider that drummer to be a part of your band if you've only jammed with him once over the course of a year.
Quote by schwinginbatman
So, he's still in the band for the time being, because he said he'll try to come to the next one. We're taking his word for that, and he'll stay if he actually goes.

He'll try... Is it going to be that hard for him. I'm assuming you all discuss when you are free so that you know you all will be able to make it (obviously there are events that could change that e.g. death).

I feel you are postponing the inevitable as he will need to try and make all of the practices that the band arranges together.

I hope you prove me wrong.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
He'll try... Is it going to be that hard for him. I'm assuming you all discuss when you are free so that you know you all will be able to make it (obviously there are events that could change that e.g. death).

I feel you are postponing the inevitable as he will need to try and make all of the practices that the band arranges together.

I hope you prove me wrong.

I really feel that way, as well. We're only going to keep him in the seat given he comes to this one, and he shouldn't really have an excuse, unless he just decides to go on a date or something, he knows the day and the time, so he shouldn't schedule anything. Of course, he is fairly dumb, even by drummer standards....
Quote by schwinginbatman
I really feel that way, as well. We're only going to keep him in the seat given he comes to this one, and he shouldn't really have an excuse, unless he just decides to go on a date or something, he knows the day and the time, so he shouldn't schedule anything. Of course, he is fairly dumb, even by drummer standards....

managing your time, arriving on schedule, and not double booking dates is part of being a mature adult. if he decides to go on a date, he should schedule it for a time that has not already been established for practice. by the same token, if he ALREADY had a date scheduled for the same time as when you wanted to hold practice, he should have said so and would have been well within the "rights of common sense" to request a different time... which you could then chose to oblige or not.

what I'm getting at is that while you should not have to suffer for his social life, neither should his social life have to suffer for you (it'd be rude to his chick, who was planning on going out, to be stood up last minute so you can have band practice), and whichever was scheduled first should logically take precident... barring extreme circumstances such as a family/friend death... a parent-dictated attendance elsewhere on short notice if you're younger, things like that.
Quote by GrisKy
managing your time, arriving on schedule, and not double booking dates is part of being a mature adult. if he decides to go on a date, he should schedule it for a time that has not already been established for practice. by the same token, if he ALREADY had a date scheduled for the same time as when you wanted to hold practice, he should have said so and would have been well within the "rights of common sense" to request a different time... which you could then chose to oblige or not.

what I'm getting at is that while you should not have to suffer for his social life, neither should his social life have to suffer for you (it'd be rude to his chick, who was planning on going out, to be stood up last minute so you can have band practice), and whichever was scheduled first should logically take precident... barring extreme circumstances such as a family/friend death... a parent-dictated attendance elsewhere on short notice if you're younger, things like that.

While you are completely right, I didn't mean that literally, just that he sometimes will bail out for a girl or something else, and although he hasn't done that for a practice yet.