After help from you guys, my pedal board looks pretty finalized, except for one problem. Here is the chain:

Guitar
-EVH Wah (First because no room on pedal board)
-Korg Pitchblack tuner
-Fulltone OCD overdrive
-FXDoctor 8-bit fuzz
Pre Amp
Effects loop send
-ISP Decimator noise suppressor
-MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Effects Loop return

The thing about this setup is that all but the Decimator is true bypass. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but I like my pedal board up next to my mic when I'm performing, and I also like to roam the stage. This makes me need lots of cable, even in the effects loop, and no buffering makes my tone fade pretty badly.

Knowing this, should I get a buffer pedal right after my ODs? One like this: http://www.themadape.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=W-CLEANBUFFER&click=1540. ?

And what about in the effects loop? Do I need one for there as well? Or will the ISP serve as a buffer in the effects loop? (I don't have this yet).

Thanks a lot for the help.
I will soon face the same problem, and ive seen buffer pedals but im not too sure if they are any good.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
I think it is possible to just throw in a clean boost after your fuzz to achieve the same effect.

I don't believe you'll need a boost after the ISP, since the ISP will probably buffer the signal sufficiently.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I think it is possible to just throw in a clean boost after your fuzz to achieve the same effect.

I don't believe you'll need a boost after the ISP, since the ISP will probably buffer the signal sufficiently.

Do you think the ISP will buffer enough when turned off as well?

And what clean boosts would you recommend?

I play progressive rock, if that is of any help.

Thanks
Quote by cccasey14
Do you think the ISP will buffer enough when turned off as well?

And what clean boosts would you recommend?

I play progressive rock, if that is of any help.

Thanks

Hmm for the ISP... I'm not sure... it'd depend on how much cable you have as well as the capacitance of the cable. Also, IIRC the ISP is not true bypass (if it is, you'll have no buffer), but for a pedal that's of ISP's quality, the buffer strength should be sufficient such that you'll notice no tone loss when you switch it off.

As a point I'll like you to note, how I'm recommending the clean boost is for you to switch it on, and leave it on with a slight volume boost. That way, it'll give your signal the push, but without drastically increasing your volume.

If you want more volume, having a clean boost serves 2 functions as compared to having just a signal buffer.

For that use... I don't have any boosts in particular to recommend.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hmm I suppose you can have a look at
Electro-Harmonix Nano Linear Power Boost (LPB-1)
MXR Custom Audio Electronics MC-401 Boost/Line Driver
Visual Sound V2 Series V2TT Truetone Boost
Xotic Effects EP Booster

Not entirely sure of how each performs... I don't personally have much use for a clean boost.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The MXR boost/linedriver looks solid and has great reviews, so I think I'll get that and add it before my pre amp! If I were to get this and leave it on a small boost, would it be dangerous to turn on an OD behind it? Could I overload the amp or something like that? Sorry for sounding so noobish.

Also, since I am unsure about the ISP giving enough buffer (on or off), I was thinking of adding this last in my effects loop chain:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M134-Stereo-Chorus-Pedal?sku=151119

This is for sure a buffered bypass, and I would actually like to have a chorus pedal. Would this be sufficient? Would two buffers that close mess up my tone?

Thanks so much guys
Quote by cccasey14
The MXR boost/linedriver looks solid and has great reviews, so I think I'll get that and add it before my pre amp! If I were to get this and leave it on a small boost, would it be dangerous to turn on an OD behind it? Could I overload the amp or something like that? Sorry for sounding so noobish.

Also, since I am unsure about the ISP giving enough buffer (on or off), I was thinking of adding this last in my effects loop chain:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M134-Stereo-Chorus-Pedal?sku=151119

This is for sure a buffered bypass, and I would actually like to have a chorus pedal. Would this be sufficient? Would two buffers that close mess up my tone?

Thanks so much guys

No the signal will be fine. Just make sure its on all the time. When you say turn on a OD "behind" it, is your OD between your guitar and the clean boost? Or is your OD between the clean boost and the preamp?

While I'm not sure about your ISP , how much cable have you got between your ISP and your effects loop return?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
No the signal will be fine. Just make sure its on all the time. When you say turn on a OD "behind" it, is your OD between your guitar and the clean boost? Or is your OD between the clean boost and the preamp?

While I'm not sure about your ISP , how much cable have you got between your ISP and your effects loop return?

I mean the OD's and then the boost/line driver then the amp.

The cable from the effects loop to the effects I think is 12 or 15 feet, and the line going back is the same. I'm worried about when I don't use those effects in songs lol. I mean I could just unplug them when I don't need them, but a lot of our songs have delay. Would this be a good idea?

Effects loop send
-- ISP decimator (Buffered bypass I guess?)
-- MXR Stereo Chorus (Buffered bypass)
-- MXR Carbon Copy delay (True Bypass)

Would two buffers next to each other hurt my tone?
Last edited by cccasey14 at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by cccasey14
I mean the OD's and then the boost/line driver then the amp.

That'll be fine.

Quote by cccasey14
15 feet, and the line going back is the same. I'm worried about when I don't use those effects in songs lol. I mean I could just unplug them when I don't need them, but a lot of our songs have delay. Would this be a good idea?

Woah... that's a lot of cable, however, I'm inclined to say that with the clean boost, you shouldn't experience massive signal degeneration.

Effects loop send
-- ISP decimator (Buffered bypass I guess?)
-- MXR Stereo Chorus (Buffered bypass)
-- MXR Carbon Copy delay (True Bypass)

Would two buffers next to each other hurt my tone?

It might have an impact, but I'm not too sure about the quality of MXR's buffer.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I gotcha, so leaving the boost on all of the time will not hurt my amp when an OD kicks in.

And two buffers next to each other want overload the amp or anything, either right? It may just make my tone a little worse?
Quote by cccasey14
I gotcha, so leaving the boost on all of the time will not hurt my amp when an OD kicks in.

No it will not damage your tone, but you'll find that you'll have to turn down your gain on your preamp channel (or channel volume) to compensate.

Quote by cccasey14
And two buffers next to each other want overload the amp or anything, either right? It may just make my tone a little worse?

It won't damage your amp, but it sure as heck will damage your tone .
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
No it will not damage your tone, but you'll find that you'll have to turn down your gain on your preamp channel (or channel volume) to compensate.

It won't damage your amp, but it sure as heck will damage your tone .

Ok gotcha!

And let me make absolute sure, but what about the OD pedal with the Line Driver on? That won't damage my amp either right?

Thank you so much for your help =P
Quote by cccasey14
Ok gotcha!

And let me make absolute sure, but what about the OD pedal with the Line Driver on? That won't damage my amp either right?

Thank you so much for your help =P

At the preamp level, you'd be hard pressed to get a signal powerful enough to damage anything in your amp.

At the worst, your preamp tubes will burn out faster due to the increased gain (if you are using a lot of it).

At the most, you'll experience higher gain or tone degradation since your signal is so heavily processed.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )