Yo first post. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone knew any exercises that would strengthen the muscles required for downpicking rapidly. I've only been really playing hard for a few months, so of course I cant just play MoP 3 trillion times. I was looking for actual physical exercises, like weight lifting, that could help with that. During the weekday i have about 25 minutes to head to the weight room which has a decent set of equipment. so if you know of anything please tell me. BTW, I have searched for stuff and just saw people saying to play MoP and punk songs.
Honk
Quote by stratman7
Hang bricks from each hand, then play.

lol..that's a good one, or you can follow divine heresy guitarist, dino cazares. he use a dumbell on both of his hand when he practice. That's what he said in one of the interview.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
when u say down picking, do u mean.. like palm muting? or literally down picking, cause im no expert, but if u wanted to down pick really fast, couldnt u just tremolo pick instead?
Down picking rapidly? Why not try economy or alternate picking? It takes less energy than just down picking

Quote by stratman7
Hang bricks from each hand, then play.

Ouch, I gots hits in the balls by a train cinder-block!
Quote by Aznswimmer117
when u say down picking, do u mean.. like palm muting? or literally down picking, cause im no expert, but if u wanted to down pick really fast, couldnt u just tremolo pick instead?

you could, however it's a different tone when things are done all down pick, more agressive and a lot heavier sounding.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
well, i dont know any exercises that involve weights, but you can try playing at a decently fast speed for a minute. Find you max downpick speed and just chug on the low e string for a minute. The next day, find you max downpick speed and repeat. You will get results, trust me.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
You could probably do forearm exercises(flexor carpi ulnaris muscle) to prevent getting tired during long periods of downpicking.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio