Sup UG,

I need a new amp but im quite clueless on the subject. I want a versatile metal tube amp thats loud enough for gigging pubs and clubs and that can emulate the sounds of bands like Mastodon, Gojira, Cynic, Metallica, Meshuggah, The Faceless ect... My budget is $2000 Australian dollars and a second hand amp is out of the question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
do you want a stack or a combo?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I would prefer a half stack but im not opposed to the idea of getting a really good combo
Krank Rev Jr Pro 50?

A fairly versatile metal amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
All of those bands have different tones and its gonna be a bit difficult to nail them all with a single amp.

I don't know how expensive they are or how easy they are to find but look for a used Vetta combo (thats actually what Meshuggah uses).
Why is used out of the question? i am selling an engl screamer 50 head at the moment, if you change your mind pm me. also, your at a price range where you probably need to spend more to get a great amp otherwise you can go down the list to something like a bugera. saving up a bit more would probably be your best bet.
I just saw the Faceless a few weeks ago, they opened for BTBAM. They, and Meshugga, use Line 6 Vettas. Great modeling amps.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
It sounds like you are looking for a high-gain tube amplifier with a lot of headroom. A Peavey 6505 or 6505+, Marshall JVM or something along those lines should suit you well. Of course, those aren't cheap, but the best tones never come cheaply.
The vetta is $4500 RRP here in australia so you would be hard pressed first off to find it used at all, and you wouldn't find it for anywhere near $2000 if by chance one did turn up somewhere. actually i just saw someone is selling one on ebay for $3000.
Maybe you could look for a Line 6 Spider Valve?
They are quite cheap in the US, and I'm pretty sure $400 USD is under $2000 AUD. (not sure though..... I'm Canadian)
they would be able to emulate the bands you mentioned great. There is also a cheap mod called the Svpre mod, that makes the preamp all-tube, just like the power amp. Definitely worth a look. If you could find a 6505 that would also be decent.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Maybe you could look for a Line 6 Spider Valve?
They are quite cheap in the US, and I'm pretty sure $400 USD is under $2000 AUD. (not sure though..... I'm Canadian)
they would be able to emulate the bands you mentioned great. There is also a cheap mod called the Svpre mod, that makes the preamp all-tube, just like the power amp. Definitely worth a look. If you could find a 6505 that would also be decent.

I'm not too certain about the pricing of the Spider Valve... prices do not convert directly, so the US price is not a good indication of the final Australian price.

The TS should change the Spider Valve speakers to Celestion G12K100 too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
the spider valve is $1400 RRP but i guess you could talk a store down to $1200 or so. then another $250 or so to put in a g12k-100. or if you are in sydney you can buy my engl screamer for $1600, then get the fender cab listed on ebay for $400 which is loaded with a g12k-100. sorry if it sounds like an advertisment just giving some options.
Last edited by joe_k at Nov 5, 2009,
why is used out of the question? if you get something used of US ebay you can get a nice Mesa combo or head for about 1200 would after taxes and shipping should account to your budget. It's one of you only options if you want something good anyway, either that or the Screamer 50 joe_k is offering you. I suggest you take him up on that.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Firstly a big shout out to a fellow aussie thrasher \m/
I know you've specified a valve amp, but it might be worth your while checking out the Ibanez TBX150 head and box. 100% solid state but I'm stoaked with mine, when myself and the other guitarist from my band were amp shopping a few months ago we tried everything we could find under about A$2500, be it valve, solid state or hybrid. Line 6, Bugera, Crate, Krank, Marshall, Randall etc. etc. and the ibanez killed them all, and for $1000 neat. My buddy ended up getting an insane deal on a peavy XXX head and vintage 30 loaded line 6 cabinet but even then it cost him over $3000 and my ibanez goes toe to toe with it in terms of volume, tone, everything. You'll be super uncool on U-G if you buy one but don't let that stop you at least giving one a try. If you're interested I wrote a review for u-g, I hope you find what you're after dude, I really do.
Peace out \m/
Quote by Waylanderau
Firstly a big shout out to a fellow aussie thrasher \m/
I know you've specified a valve amp, but it might be worth your while checking out the Ibanez TBX150 head and box. 100% solid state but I'm stoaked with mine, when myself and the other guitarist from my band were amp shopping a few months ago we tried everything we could find under about A$2500, be it valve, solid state or hybrid. Line 6, Bugera, Crate, Krank, Marshall, Randall etc. etc. and the ibanez killed them all, and for $1000 neat. My buddy ended up getting an insane deal on a peavy XXX head and vintage 30 loaded line 6 cabinet but even then it cost him over $3000 and my ibanez goes toe to toe with it in terms of volume, tone, everything. You'll be super uncool on U-G if you buy one but don't let that stop you at least giving one a try. If you're interested I wrote a review for u-g, I hope you find what you're after dude, I really do.
Peace out \m/

Nice to find someone who praises the ibanez. The second gitarist of my band has one to and it's perfect for doom/sludge/trash/new metal. It's a good amp, one of the best solid states out there.
Quote by joe_k
but if he spends a bit more, the engl will tear that thing to shreds. we can work out a deal TS if you are in sydney.

For the record... I don't know joe_k...

however, the ENGL is pretty sweet.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )