Does anyone know of any hard jazz songs with good rhythms and solos?

Cheers.
hmm thats fair enough, I just needed a jazz song to play for my music college audition is all

Learning to be a proper jazz guitarist would be cool, but being completely self taught and with no reputable guitar teachers around in this area it would be exceptionally hard, so i'm more interested in just learning a song to get me into college.
Last edited by Ritley at Nov 5, 2009,
Jazz auditions in college are not looking for "crazy" or "hard" songs. They will generally want you to be able to play a 12-bar blues standard (i.e., Blue Train, Blue Monk) and a jazz standard (i.e. Autumn Leaves, Oleo, Girl from Ipanema). You need to be able to comp those songs as well as solo over the changes. Generally you will sit down with one person, often a bassist or pianist, and they will comp while you play the melody. Then the two of you will trade choruses.

There will also many times be a sight-reading section and a few other things along those lines such as transcribing a melody, looking at sheet music and choosing what scale is shown there, and a key signature test.

If you don't play jazz, they will be able to tell and your audition will not go well.

I would know. I've been through the process before.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Jazz auditions in college are not looking for "crazy" or "hard" songs. They will generally want you to be able to play a 12-bar blues standard (i.e., Blue Train, Blue Monk) and a jazz standard (i.e. Autumn Leaves, Oleo, Girl from Ipanema). You need to be able to comp those songs as well as solo over the changes. Generally you will sit down with one person, often a bassist or pianist, and they will comp while you play the melody. Then the two of you will trade choruses.

There will also many times be a sight-reading section and a few other things along those lines such as transcribing a melody, looking at sheet music and choosing what scale is shown there, and a key signature test.

If you don't play jazz, they will be able to tell and your audition will not go well.

I would know. I've been through the process before.

No its not quite like that.

Its just a music college and they expect you to play a song to get in from any genre, but i've been told playing jazz will maximise my chances, simple as.

Its obviously a different process to yours because i've also been through this college process before and I didnt get in, hence why I want to play a jazz song.

Your college is probably much higher up in terms of status or something, because last time I audition they just wanted me to play a song, then they asked me REALLLY basic questions.
Quote by Ritley

Its just a music college and they expect you to play a song to get in from any genre, but i've been told playing jazz will maximise my chances, simple as.

Its obviously a different process to yours because i've also been through this college process before and I didnt get in, hence why I want to play a jazz song.

Your college is probably much higher up in terms of status or something, because last time I audition they just wanted me to play a song, then they asked me REALLLY basic questions.

The same things still apply: music schools don't want to see flash, they want to see a solid player who can cope with what a real musical situation will throw at them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ritley

Did you find out why you didn't get in last time?
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by Freepower
Not to mention, it's better to play X well than jazz badly. Play whatever you normally play!

But they're biased towards rock and metal, plus theirs so many guitarists who come in and play rock and metal songs.

Theirs only like twenty places and over a hundred people apply, and a vast majority are guitarists, so most guitarists get turned.

I've been told if I play a jazz song i'm almost guranteed to get in.

I don't see why I have to play it badly, i've got a while to rehearse and my chops are pretty good, and a guitar is a guitar at the end of the day. I just need to find a good song.

The one you specified was pretty good, so thanks for that.
Quote by ApeWeevil
Did you find out why you didn't get in last time?

Didnt even need to ask them, I was terrible. At the time I had only been playing guitar for maybe just over a year and none of it had been focused on rhythm.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The same things still apply: music schools don't want to see flash, they want to see a solid player who can cope with what a real musical situation will throw at them.

Touche, but theirs a lot of competition for places at the college. A vast majority of guitarists who apply won't get in. It's as simple as being better than them.
Quote by Ritley
But they're biased towards rock and metal, plus theirs so many guitarists who come in and play rock and metal songs.

Theirs only like twenty places and over a hundred people apply, and a vast majority are guitarists, so most guitarists get turned.

I've been told if I play a jazz song i'm almost guranteed to get in.

I don't see why I have to play it badly, i've got a while to rehearse and my chops are pretty good, and a guitar is a guitar at the end of the day. I just need to find a good song.

The one you specified was pretty good, so thanks for that.

Jazz is not something you can just pick up and play, or even rehearse, because it's defining characteristic is improvisation. If you sit there and play a jazz tune straight through like you learned it out of a book, they will see straight through it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
jeez guys, give him a break :P

if you want something fast, try giant steps by john coltrane. its fast, has quick changes (coltrane changes) and its completely pickable.

if you want chord-melody style id suggest joe pass also, try some of his stuff with NHOP if you can transcribe it (i dont know if its available in any real books or fake sheets anywhere) or maybe his cover of the duke's 'satin doll.'