So my Marshall MG15CDR is driving me mad nowadays with it's tone (it either sounds muffled or like a can of bees with distortion to me), so I plan on going amp shopping soon. But I don't really know what type of amp to get- a 15W or a 30W. I'm the cliche guitar playing college student, so I obviously can't really go too much larger than these. I'm just wondering if the tone varies between sizes. I ask because I've heard things like that the Peavy Vypyr 30W sounds better than the 15W model- is this true? I'm not really too concerned with any onboard effects or the built-in overdrive/distortion since I already have some dedicated pedals for those type of things, so I'm not really too concerned if there's differences in that area.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!
If you aren't planning on getting very big with your amps, go with the Vypyr, or nab yourself a Vox.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
If you're staying in dorms... you could also consider the Pod series... esp the Pod XT3 live... hook headphones up to it and you're good to jam till 5 in the morning.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by GODhimself37
If you aren't planning on getting very big with your amps, go with the Vypyr, or nab yourself a Vox.

Well, that's what my question's about: I'm looking at amps like the Vypyr and other amps like that, but I want to know if there's a significant tone difference between the 15W and the 30W models.
If you play more modern rock/metal-type music, something like the Roland Cube series could also work.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Super Champ XD
Blues Jr. (Go Used)
Classic 30

All good amps, all cheap, all 30 watts or less.
He's not asking which amp to get, he's asking about wattage. I'd go with the 30 watt amp, that way you can do small gigs if you need to, and you're not limited by volume in case you want to do something more than practice in your room. You can always dial it down when practicing, but having the extra juice is a bonus IMO (I'm a university student too, I wish I had more than my Microcube).
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Well, that's what my question's about: I'm looking at amps like the Vypyr and other amps like that, but I want to know if there's a significant tone difference between the 15W and the 30W models.

There's not a massive difference... you get get moar bells and whistles.

Oh yes between the Vypyr 15 and 30... you get an additional 4" to your speaker... which gives you better presence and bass response.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
well 15W amps are fine for home playing, and so are 30W. i personally haven't noticed much tonal difference between the same amps of different powers at low volumes;however, at higher volumes, there usually is a difference. As a rule of thumb,15W amps sound perfectly fine till about 60% of their volume, while 30W can go up till 70% before sounding crappy. most practice amps/combo amps have this problem, so your choice basically boils down to how loud you really want to play. if you're just sitting in a dorm and don't plan to turn the volume up, get a 15W. they're cheaper and smaller,hence easier to store. whatever you do, don't get a Kustom. the peavey vypyr is a good choice, but my younger cousin uses a crate flexwave, which i feel is awesome considering it's only like $120.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
If you have a bunch of effects pedal for overdrive and such, if they are good pedals then you don't need a modelling amp, better to get like a 5 watt tube amp like a peavey royal 8 or fender champiobn 600 or something.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
vox pathfinder 15r

just fucking try it, you'll love it.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
+1 for the Superchamp.

The Vyper 30 has more effects and more bass response than the 15.

If you have dedicated pedals I'd go for a Superchamp XD. Has great amp models, takes pedals well and is partially tube. It's also pretty cheap. Check it out.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
The Superchamp is a great choice. The Pathfinder isn't as versatile but if your into the Vox sound i find it does a great version of that.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
i had the cube 30 and now have the vox vt30..the vox is MUCH more versatile and has WAYYY better sound. it also has an attenuator to keep the sound low.