I went to my local guitar store today and played a couple of acoustic guitars. A baby taylor and a fender. He said the fender was 199 and the taylor was 429. I got home and searched baby taylors on the net and found like every place selling them for like 299 with free bag and the BIG baby taylors were like 440. Is this guy trying to rip me off?
it coulda been an up'd model, but im not too keen on taylor acoustics so i cant really say
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
smaller family stores sometimes pay as much for guitars as you or i would at a store like guitar center. chances are he's not trying to rip you off, but his business model is not really effective any longer.
so then i guess it would be a good idea to test guitars at the store and then buy them online?
Or just buy it in the store and be done with it. There's nothing wrong with helping out a local business. It's your call.
well its just i would feel like an idiot if i bought a "display" guitar that people have used and tested for 400 when i could have bout a brand new never touched for 300. Also what is your guys opinion on the baby taylor vs the big baby taylor? I have semi decided on one of the other. I assume the big baby has a nice sound due to larger shape, but i have actually played the baby taylor and i like the sound. I also like the small compact shape. I cant tell you how many times i have hit my electric walking around the house god only knows what i would do to an acoustic.
Last edited by chrisx16x2008 at Nov 5, 2009,
^ That's not a valid reason. There's nothing wrong with display guitars. In fact, if you were to buy an expensive guitar, I would suggest only going for the guitar you played. The reason being that each guitar, even though they may be the same make and model, will play and sound different from each other.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Sometimes it is better to buy one that you have played (even if other people have) and like rather that one off the Internet that you have never seen. In the cheaper ranges not all guitars of the same model sound the same.

And yes he may be charging more, but you are paying for the fact that he has a shop that you can go into and see and test the guitar, and he may even give you some after sales service.

But if it makes you happy to abuse his presales service and buy it cheaper online then go for it. At least in 10 years time you will have an understanding of why there are no longer any local guitar shops in existence
alright so you guys convinced me to buy the one from his store. I also kno him and he said whats up to me when i came in to his store for the first time in a few months. So i hate to think he would purposely rip me off. All that's left to do now is get the last presents for Christmas out of the way and buy it. =)
Yes, It's better to support the ma and pop operations. They may not have the buying power of the bigger chains but you're rewarded in other ways though. I know my guy on a first name basis, He's been in business since the early 60s and sold to my Dad. They do you favours after a while and give you tips and show you things that you just cant get online or in a chain.

I've been allowed to play Guitars and Banjos that are thousands of dollars just because they're nice and know me.
Quote by captivate
^ That's not a valid reason. There's nothing wrong with display guitars. In fact, if you were to buy an expensive guitar, I would suggest only going for the guitar you played. The reason being that each guitar, even though they may be the same make and model, will play and sound different from each other.

Quoted for truth.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

The guitar shop I go to for all my accessories commonly sell guitars for 100 bucks or so higher than guitar center and online stores just cause they have to. But, and this is a huge but, they care for and condition those guitars like they are celebrities. They check the action from the factory, play every one, check for fret buzz, polish it for you and check the intonation when you purchase one, and even will change the strings and do a re-setup for you if you put on a different gauge strings. The level of service and care is priceless, especially if your dropping a good bit of money on a guitar you want to play for the rest of your life. All of my current guitars I bought used but I buy all my strings and accessories and crap from them, just cause they're nice enough to let me play all they're crap all the time without bugging me like the guys from guitar center do.
I'm not going to pay a whole lot more for a guitar from a ma and pa shop just to support them. If it is 20-50$ more ok. But anymore than that im looking some place else. I have bills to pay to. But i will take it to them to have it set up right. And i will get every other thing i need from them. But it doesn't make good since to pay 100$ or more for something just to support them. I bet they wont support your power bill after you spent all your money with them.LOL I bought my Taylor 110 off ebay because i got it for 337$ shipped to the door with the gig bag. But i took it to my local shop had a complete cleaning set up and restring done. And bought a hard case and a stand from him too. So do what you want if you have the extra money to throw away then have at it but personally i don't like wasting my money!
I just put my money down on a new Takamine at my local store.

It's the same price on the internet but the store does the first setup ($65) before it goes out the door and offers 2 more free setups during the first year.

Plus I've got a place in town to go to if anything goes wrong.

Support your local music stores.