im not very good with guitar wisdom, thus why i made this thread. anyway, im looking to buy a guitar within a month or two but i dont really know where to start. my main style of play is metal, sorta like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRr1AVoMypU. but yeah i dont really know what kind of guitar i wanted or how i should go about trying out guitars or what to look for in a guitar. i went to gc today and tried out a few ibanez's and a dean. their selection wasnt that great, mostly strats and thats not really my thing. should i just go to every guitar shop within a 25 mile radius? any advice would be absolutely wonderful, thanks.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Ah leftlanetheory I wonder if he still has his Capa's. Anyway first up we need to know your budget, also any specs you definitely want in the guitar (like bridge, neck joint, no. of frets, pickups etc. more detail would be better)
Quote by frozen_soul
im not very good with guitar wisdom, thus why i made this thread. anyway, im looking to buy a guitar within a month or two but i dont really know where to start. my main style of play is metal, sorta like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRr1AVoMypU. but yeah i dont really know what kind of guitar i wanted or how i should go about trying out guitars or what to look for in a guitar. i went to gc today and tried out a few ibanez's and a dean. their selection wasnt that great, mostly strats and thats not really my thing. should i just go to every guitar shop within a 25 mile radius? any advice would be absolutely wonderful, thanks.

the best guitar for u is an Ibanez as their neck is extremely comfortable to shred and solos. you can get a lower end Ibanez Rg for practice and if ur in the U.S u can get the Ibanez starter pack which includes amps, guitar and guitar casing. once you got good with you basic foundation and easy solo, you can go with the higher end of Ibanez such as the prestige and the J custom. hope this helps!
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
keep in mind that i have pretty tiny fingers, so nothing too large neck wise. i'd prefer something with 24 frets but thats not vital. i want a whammy bar as well. and i dont really know about pickups but ive heard EMG makes pretty good stuff? also my price range is probably $300-1000 USD
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Don't worry too much about strat shapes. They're popular because they're extremely practical. They're very balanced and have great upper fret access depending on who makes it.
If you're gonna play that type of stuff, EMG's might not be for you. Why not buy an RG?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by frozen_soul
keep in mind that i have pretty tiny fingers, so nothing too large neck wise. i'd prefer something with 24 frets but thats not vital. i want a whammy bar as well. and i dont really know about pickups but ive heard EMG makes pretty good stuff? also my price range is probably $300-1000 USD

EMG's are great many people don't like them because they're sort of an acquired taste much like caviar or something. Best bet is to go to a local store and try out a guitar with EMG pickups and play them through an amp similar to yours.

Guitar wise you've pretty much got a wide range of guitars and it's almost impossible to list them all. But anyway just a select few

Ibanez RG1550
Ibanez RG1570
LTD M-1000
BC Rich ASM Pro
Washburn X50VPro
LTD MH-1000 FR
Jackson DK2
Jackson DK2M

You'll probably want to research a few of those although if you dislike wide necks you might not like the Ibanez's.
what about floyd rose? would you recommend it?
Quote by Marshmelllow

Floyd Rose's are fun but a bit of a double edged sword. While you may be able to do massive divebombs and dimebag squeals you do lose the ability to do a double stop and keep it tune as well as loss of sustain and the hassle of setting one up and regularly changing tunings. It's up to you whether or not you feel like you need one but if you don't then find a guitar doesn't have one at all cost it's much easier that way.