Hey everybody, how's it going. I've been playing a classical acoustic for about a month now, and I'm hoping to get an electric soon. After spending way too much time doing research while saving some cash, I pretty much decided on an epiphone dot, but I still have a couple questions.

First, any other suggestions before I grab a dot? I'm planning on starting off mostly playing blues and classic rock Clapton style, then branching off to heavier classic rock and maybe some punk. I would get a strat, but they just don't feel right to me. Not sure if it's the smaller size or what. Also, I love the looks of semi-hollows.

Second, what's the difference between studio and regular? I know the more expensive one has extra volume and tone knobs, and is probably made a bit better in general, but is the difference very noticeable? Also, are the pickups much different? Reason I ask is because there's a used studio with a case on craigslist for 200 bucks. While I prefer the standard dot's colors, (The studio is all shiny black), it's a pretty good deal, and I could probably live with the color. Is this the type of situation where I should drop the extra cash and go for the looks, though?

Third, amp. I've barely even looked at them, and am wondering what I should be looking for. Preferably something fairly cheap, since I'm just going to be using it for practice. Don't care much about tone as long as it sounds somewhere near what I'm going for.

Fourth, anyone mind typing up a quick checklist for if I do get it used? What should I be looking for to make sure it isn't too worn out, or badly made in the first place?

And finally, pickups. When I eventually want to move up, what should I be looking for?

Sorry for being so long-winded, I just like to do my research before I commit to anything like this. Would appreciate any help you can provide.
so what's your total budget? we can suggest rigs for you based on that. also, one of the problems you may be experiencing with stratocasters is that they are just quirky guitars. they have a 9.5 inch fretboard radius when most guitars these days have 12 inch.

also there are a couple of differences between the dot and dot studio. If a guitar has the word "studio" in it, that usually suggests that it has less of an emphasis on aesthetics. in this case, the dot studio has a mahogany body whereas the dot has a maple body and top. also, i couldn't find exactly what the pickups were but I would assume the dot has better pickups.
Knew I was forgetting something, willing to spend 400ish on the guitar, maybe 100ish on the amp. If there's a huge jump in quality I don't mind saving up some more, but that's around where I'm at now.
Actually I'm guess they have the same pickups, if not, probably nothing you'll notice if your buying a cheap amp anyways.

You shouldn't have to upgrade the pickups for while, once you upgrade to decent amp then you can swap pups.

I would go for the standard because it looks nicer, probably better built, two extra controls which really come in handy especially in jazz and blues and such.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
well if you're dead set on a semi-hollow, the epiphone dot is a good way to go. most epiphone "studio" guitars are sketchy. if you're only going to spend 100 on the amp, there are pretty much 2 amps that UG will suggest: Roland Cube 15 and Peavey Vypyr 15. However if you can muster up the extra cash, check out the cheap tube amps made for practice volumes like the Vox AC4
First: Have you actually played with a dot? What do you think of it?I played one last week for the first time and it was really really nice, really creamy, warm sound. It's definitely for the music you're gonna play. If you're gonna truly stick to the stuff you mentioned (classic rock, etc.) then go for it. In my experience i get quite bored with genres quickly, so i often learn totally different sounding songs. I dunno, but a strat would be a more versatile guitar...but if you're gonna stick with those type of songs go, go for it.

Second: +1 to joeperry4life

third: if it's just gonna be for home practice and not for gigs/etc., just get any 10/15 watt amp. Won't matter. I'd go with an Orange 10W crush just 'cause they look cool and i has one. You can brag as well to your friends and people you meet :"oh yeah i play a dot through an orange". Just don't say it's crush xD
They're pretty cheap too...

fourth: do you know anyone who plays guitar with experience? Ask em to go see the second hand guitar with you. I really cant be bothered detailing things you need to look out for :P

finally: get some awesome p-90's.
I bought a second hand Dot (standard) just 2 days ago. Great guitar, couldn't be happier. And has mad versatility, handles heavy stuff and clean very easy ;D
Edit: Scratch this, found a cherry dot supposedly in perfect condition and professionally set up + a case for 300, gonna check it out on sunday.
Last edited by ArchdukeChocula at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by ArchdukeChocula
Hey everybody, how's it going. I've been playing a classical acoustic for about a month now, and I'm hoping to get an electric soon. After spending way too much time doing research while saving some cash, I pretty much decided on an epiphone dot, but I still have a couple questions.

First, any other suggestions before I grab a dot? I'm planning on starting off mostly playing blues and classic rock Clapton style, then branching off to heavier classic rock and maybe some punk. I would get a strat, but they just don't feel right to me. Not sure if it's the smaller size or what. Also, I love the looks of semi-hollows.

Well, If I were you, i'd check out the Epiphone Nick Valensi Riviera (the non-signature series riviera is not in production anymore).
Amazing guitar. I don't know how new you are to this, but the Riviera has p94 pickups, which are single coil pickups, while the dot has humbucker pickups. The P94's can produce a more thinish tone, but still manages amazingly with distortion. Overall, the quality of the P94's vs the stock epiphone dot humbuckers, the p94's would win instantly.

This is only a suggestion, though, since it's amazingly versatile, but it can't quite do that fat early clapton tone.

But back to the Dot, it's a great instrument and has an appealing price tag.
I think it could easily do classic rock, and even some punk. Only thing you should watch out for, is that it wouldn't really do what you would characterize as harder types of metal.

Check this vid, the guy is comparing the Epiphone Dot with the Gibson es-335 (which is known as the 'real-deal' in semi hollows)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7o7iv0veTk

edit: the riviera might be a bit more expensive for you, though.

edit edit: As far as amps go, check this out:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
Last edited by giiii at Nov 5, 2009,
How much does a headstock repair affect the tone and playability of a guitar?

Also, does musiciansfriend break the headstocks on all of it's used semi-hollows? 90% of them show "evidence of a headstock repair".
Sorry for all the questions, but got someone offering an Aria, and I've heard nothing about them. "Birdseye maple front and back , Kluson tuners, Chrome P-90 pickups, set neck" is what he said it had, and I'm asking for pictures now. In general though, what price range am I looking at, and what kind of quality?