alright.here's the deal.it's coming to the end of the year and i'm thinking of changing my entire guitar rig.so straight question for you guys.how do you think i should change it.?i've got a budget of like $2000 for both amp and guitar? and i'm planing to get a schecter blackjack as a guitar.problem now is, should i change my amp as well? the guitar will probably cost about $1500? what you guys think i should do? which one is more important? the guitar or the amp?
I'm guessing you're going to keep whatever pedals you have, or you'd have mentioned it.

Given $2K to overhaul my guitar & amp setup, I'd probably spend no less than 50% of my budget on the amp. So much of your sound depends upon the quality of your amp.

What kind of amp to get would depend on playstyle- if I were looking for something tonally neutral, I'd probably go with a Fender or Carvin. Both have excellent versatile combos in the $700-1200 range. If I were playing a particular genre almost exclusively, I'd look for one of the brands that dominate the genre.

While you can find good deals from online used-gear sellers, personally I wouldn't buy any used amp sight unseen from anyone but a retailer or someone I know/have reason to trust. For a used amp, I'd much rather try it out before I buy it.

Besides, you can find great guitars in the $800-1000 range, regardless of genre.

In addition, you say you're changing your setup: Are you keeping your old gear or are you selling it to make your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 5, 2009,
cant go wrong with a good fender amp. and i can vouch for at least the crate V50, dont know about the lesser watt ones but im sure they are good. the onboard distortion isnt metal obviously but if you've got a dist pedal, you're fine. the cleans are amazing, maybe a little harsh on the high end. i can get great cleans with active EMGs or my passive seymour duncans. my crate i think had a sticker of $1100 and i got it for 700ish since ive bought so much stuff from my local shop.

and ditto to the fellow above, what are you doing with your pedals if you have any? and i would also expect to spend a little more on the amp than the guitar. which is easy since you're getting a blackjack.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

i play blues,rock and sometimes metal (ozzy osbourne,black sabbath,that's kind of metal to me.i ain't too sure how you guys define metal).i seldom venture into heavy metal but i do at times. dannyalcatraz i intend to keep my old gear.i was looking at a blackstar amp for quite some time and i was kinda considering it.but for guitar wise,i'm looking at schecter.

i kinda like their guitars more and maybe you guys can recommend me a good and cheap amp(if there's any) um for amps i don't require that much power but i do want the makings of a good amp.maybe say about 30 watts with good effects in it. i'm in singapore and the schecter guitars are $1500-2000 already.but the guitar sometimes has great combinations with amps right? i mean like,some guitars will sound shitty on certain amps. peavy amps are not bad too.
Quote by A7x_1993
i'm in singapore and the schecter guitars are $1500-2000

Dooood I seriously feel bad for you I just sold my hellraiser for $400 last week. Is there like fat tariffs on imports or something?
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
What is your current gear?

You might find that spending a bit more on your amp to get something "tuned" more towards rock & metal might improve your guitar sound more than you'd expect!

For instance, Peavey makes a perfectly good amp- I almost bought one, but decided on a Fender because I liked its clean better.

But for old-school metal & rock like you're talking, a nice Marshal, Vox, HiWatt, Orange or a used Sunn might just blow your mind.

If you're just looking for an inexpensive practice amp- IOW, you're not gigging- you might look into some of the solid-state modeling amps like the Line 6 Spiders or the Fender GDeck. No, they don't sound as good as a tube amp + effects, but they're great for finding & refining your sound.

As for the Schecters...I don't know if I would buy one at that price. I know what people usually say around here about guitars made in Korea, but as close as you are, picking up a Korean-made (or MIJ) guitar might be your best bang for the buck! Just check out who makes their stuff in your area.

Or, if you hae a local guitar shop you trust, and you like your current guitar, upgrade your pickups. I'm thinking about upgrading my Dean EVO with some Teslas, for instance.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 5, 2009,
oh damn, that makes your budget $2000 singapore. dont know how that translates to US or UK but it could change things.

also, i meant to suggest it earlier, but you could look into the Orange tiny terror head? im REALLY tired right now so my mind might not be working right, but i think thats the one thats 5w/15w switchable. you'd need a cab to go with it, a 1x12 would be plenty. those sound great but they are one channel. they could definitely do your rock/blues/ozzy tones.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
oh damn, that makes your budget $2000 singapore. dont know how that translates to US or UK but it could change things.

also, i meant to suggest it earlier, but you could look into the Orange tiny terror head? im REALLY tired right now so my mind might not be working right, but i think thats the one thats 5w/15w switchable. you'd need a cab to go with it, a 1x12 would be plenty. those sound great but they are one channel. they could definitely do your rock/blues/ozzy tones.

Last I checked with Blackwoods (which is one of the shops where I know the Orange is available) the Tiny Terror head was approx SGD800.

Are you going for SS or tube?

If you're fine with modelling... maybe you should consider the Flextone III at City music... alternatively... I know they're trying to off-load their Spider Valve Mk I... I think at 35% off right now.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Last I checked with Blackwoods (which is one of the shops where I know the Orange is available) the Tiny Terror head was approx SGD800.

Are you going for SS or tube?

If you're fine with modelling... maybe you should consider the Flextone III at City music... alternatively... I know they're trying to off-load their Spider Valve Mk I... I think at 35% off right now.

you're in singapore too? nice.i hear city music does sell line 6 amps i've been there myself. how much is a practice tube amp from line 6 and do they contain effects as well?

erm my current gear is a guitar which has no brand i think,attison or something. my amp is a kustom dart 10fx. but the reason why i'm getting a new setup is that i want a fr system for the guitar and i want some effects off the amp,tube amp preferably.i'm ain't that happy with the tone of my amp,come to think of that. and yeah i'm looking for a practice tube amp.the kustom dart 10fx should be good enough for gigs.i ain't too sure about that cos i don't have a band.i'm looking out for line 6, peavy,and vox amps(i'm not sure if they have vox in singapore).but,yeah these amps are the ones that i'm more familiar with.i don't really know anything about marshall.fender or orange.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is your current gear?

You might find that spending a bit more on your amp to get something "tuned" more towards rock & metal might improve your guitar sound more than you'd expect!

For instance, Peavey makes a perfectly good amp- I almost bought one, but decided on a Fender because I liked its clean better.

But for old-school metal & rock like you're talking, a nice Marshal, Vox, HiWatt, Orange or a used Sunn might just blow your mind.

If you're just looking for an inexpensive practice amp- IOW, you're not gigging- you might look into some of the solid-state modeling amps like the Line 6 Spiders or the Fender GDeck. No, they don't sound as good as a tube amp + effects, but they're great for finding & refining your sound.

As for the Schecters...I don't know if I would buy one at that price. I know what people usually say around here about guitars made in Korea, but as close as you are, picking up a Korean-made (or MIJ) guitar might be your best bang for the buck! Just check out who makes their stuff in your area.

Or, if you hae a local guitar shop you trust, and you like your current guitar, upgrade your pickups. I'm thinking about upgrading my Dean EVO with some Teslas, for instance.

and nope i ain't gonna upgrade my guitar.i want a brand new one.
Quote by A7x_1993
you're in singapore too? nice.i hear city music does sell line 6 amps i've been there myself. how much is a practice tube amp from line 6 and do they contain effects as well?

erm my current gear is a guitar which has no brand i think,attison or something. my amp is a kustom dart 10fx. but the reason why i'm getting a new setup is that i want a fr system for the guitar and i want some effects off the amp,tube amp preferably.i'm ain't that happy with the tone of my amp,come to think of that. and yeah i'm looking for a practice tube amp.the kustom dart 10fx should be good enough for gigs.i ain't too sure about that cos i don't have a band.i'm looking out for line 6, peavy,and vox amps(i'm not sure if they have vox in singapore).but,yeah these amps are the ones that i'm more familiar with.i don't really know anything about marshall.fender or orange.

Maybe you can see if you can get a Marshall JCM or JVM. I know there was an ad by someone selling a Marshall JCM combo for $2000 in Sengkang... but that's way out of your league.

Blackheart amps are cheaper... but the voicing isn't ideal for metal... and there're no more dealers in Singapore IIRC. However, for the bloos and rock... it'd be great.

A good bet for metal would be the Krank Rev Jr Pro 20... if you wanna go for pure tube... but when I bought mine from Blackwoods... it cost me $1600 for the head and two 1X12 cabs. I know Ty music in Peninsular also deals for Krank... so you can check them out. although even if you only get one cab, it'll still probably be over $1000. However, this is overly metal oriented, so you'll need effects on the clean channel.

Not sure how much Davis sells the Marshall combos... but I can bet it won't be cheap... haha... maybe if you're cute enough, you can suave your way with Janet and get her to give you a discount.

The practice amp from Line 6... esp the Spider 3s aren't great... if you want... the bare minimum you need to look at is either the Flextone III or the Spider Valve.

If you want to go tube, you need a higher budget. Alternatively... you can look at teh Vox nighttrain (City Music)... it'll do the rock and blues fairly well... but you'll need an OD for metal, and I'm not sure if the Vox voicing is something you'd like.

EDIT: Change of content.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 5, 2009,
Guys he's got about $1450 US dollars to work with here.

My advice: Don't get a schecter if they're 1500 dollars. They're probably one of the best guitars you can get for 4 or 5 hundred dollars, but if you're spending 1500 dollars for them, that's just not worth it. Try and find something else, like an Ibanez, maybe.

Anyway, in the way of amps, you can't go wrong with a Peavey XXX. If you can find one used that will ship to you, it'll probably run you about 1000 USD, which is about 1400 of your 2000. That's the absolute maximum you should expect to pay for a used combo, including shipping (unless there's mad import tax).
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by ragingkitty
Maybe you can see if you can get a Marshall JCM or JVM. I know there was an ad by someone selling a Marshall JCM combo for $2000 in Sengkang... but that's way out of your league.

Blackheart amps are cheaper... but the voicing isn't ideal for metal... and there're no more dealers in Singapore IIRC. However, for the bloos and rock... it'd be great.

A good bet for metal would be the Krank Rev Jr Pro 20... if you wanna go for pure tube... but when I bought mine from Blackwoods... it cost me $1600 for the head and two 1X12 cabs. I know Ty music in Peninsular also deals for Krank... so you can check them out. although even if you only get one cab, it'll still probably be over $1000. However, this is overly metal oriented, so you'll need effects on the clean channel.

Not sure how much Davis sells the Marshall combos... but I can bet it won't be cheap... haha... maybe if you're cute enough, you can suave your way with Janet and get her to give you a discount.

The practice amp from Line 6... esp the Spider 3s aren't great... if you want... the bare minimum you need to look at is either the Flextone III or the Spider Valve.

If you want to go tube, you need a higher budget. Alternatively... you can look at teh Vox nighttrain (City Music)... it'll do the rock and blues fairly well... but you'll need an OD for metal, and I'm not sure if the Vox voicing is something you'd like.

EDIT: Change of content.

great info guys i appreciate it.but uhm,for those guys who don't know,i'm not really keen on used stuff.got some little problem with trust.how much does a peavy cost in singapore?and where the hell do i find them? pennisula? not that broken down shop swee lee.three quarters of their guitars are rusted and parts are almost falling off.

but you guys out there.you've been trying out amps for years and can anyone tell me if a peavy or a line 6 is better? i'm talking about effects(if there's any),their cleans,their distortions.and i'm trying to get something snacked-size (as in wattage) i'm also looking for those kind of amps that give some good distortion so i don't have to buy any more pedals.
Quote by A7x_1993
great info guys i appreciate it.but uhm,for those guys who don't know,i'm not really keen on used stuff.got some little problem with trust.how much does a peavy cost in singapore?and where the hell do i find them? pennisula? not that broken down shop swee lee.three quarters of their guitars are rusted and parts are almost falling off.

but you guys out there.you've been trying out amps for years and can anyone tell me if a peavy or a line 6 is better? i'm talking about effects(if there's any),their cleans,their distortions.and i'm trying to get something snacked-size (as in wattage) i'm also looking for those kind of amps that give some good distortion so i don't have to buy any more pedals.

To be honest... at S$500... you're not gonna get very far at all.

I understand that Swee Lee's the place to go for Peaveys....

But a quick google check revealed that Luther Music is supposed to carry Peaveys too.

Luther Musicworks
Add: 5 Coleman St #B1-22 Excelsior Hotel
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
To be honest... at S$500... you're not gonna get very far at all.

I understand that Swee Lee's the place to go for Peaveys....

But a quick google check revealed that Luther Music is supposed to carry Peaveys too.

Luther Musicworks
Add: 5 Coleman St #B1-22 Excelsior Hotel

nice! thanks. oh and is it near pennisula plaza or is it in pennisula plaza cos i understand that excelsior hotel is opposite pennisula or 'above' pennisula.
Quote by A7x_1993
nice! thanks. oh and is it near pennisula plaza or is it in pennisula plaza cos i understand that excelsior hotel is opposite pennisula or 'above' pennisula.

Its under Excelsior... kinda like beside Funan.

It should be in the same area as Davis...

I'll address your other queries tomorrow... you should be aware how late it is now.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
hey people isn't the line 6 valve amps tube amps? anyway if i buy certain schecter guitars,i would need a tube amp because of the pickups yeah?
hey and does anyone in singapore know how much the zakk wlyde wah and overdrive cost in music theme?
Quote by A7x_1993
hey people isn't the line 6 valve amps tube amps? anyway if i buy certain schecter guitars,i would need a tube amp because of the pickups yeah?

In terms of effects, Line 6 is better than Peavey. Also Line 6 is great for modelling technology, at least in terms of versatility. If you get the Spider Valve, its pretty cool for modelling and tubes in the same amp. Otherwise the Flextone will have lots of amps for you to mess around with.

However in terms of metal oriented amps and tube amps, you have to go with Peavey. Amps like their XXX or the 6505/6505+ are awesome for metal if you like your tone dark. The JSX is a very sweet amp for the leads, smooth distortion with lots of gain on tap.

Depending on what pickups the Schetcher has. If your guitar has active pickups, you're better off avoiding solidstate and modelling. Active pickups are better at pushing preamp tubes... not transistors.

Just call Music Theme and ask them... Davis sells the Zakk Wylde wah and OD as well.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
but is line 6 cheaper than peavy? peavy is a tube right? i may either get a guitar with an emg active pickups or a seymour duncan pickups.i think i'm getting a emg active pickups.does peavy has a combo of a tube amp AND effects as well? so far i only know of line 6 which has that kind of combination.

and oh is luther music the one that just opened recently? next to davis(on the left side? from a perspective when you pass music theme?) is that the one?
Quote by A7x_1993
but is line 6 cheaper than peavy? peavy is a tube right? i may either get a guitar with an emg active pickups or a seymour duncan pickups.i think i'm getting a emg active pickups.does peavy has a combo of a tube amp AND effects as well? so far i only know of line 6 which has that kind of combination.

and oh is luther music the one that just opened recently? next to davis(on the left side? from a perspective when you pass music theme?) is that the one?

In terms of pricing... I am not sure.

Peavey has tube, solidstate and modelling amps... you need to be specific about which amp you are looking at.

I've no idea about the changes to Peninsular plaza... I've not been to the shops since I got my Mark V about 2 months agp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hope you find something nice.

An alternative you can consider are the LTDs... they are pretty nice.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by A7x_1993

Peavey is a very diverse brand of amps, they make both tube and solid state amps in tons of sizes so youve got to be specific. I would highly recommend a tube amp though if you are going to be using EMG Actives, as thats what they are designed for.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor