I'm considering the SR300 and SR305 for a bass to record with. I thought that I would like a 5 string, but the SR305 is only 34" scale length. Does this pretty much render the low B (& lower since I downtune my guitars) as a useless flopping buzzing nuisance?

I might as well just get the 4 string if the low B isnt going to sound good right?

Also, what is the general consensus on the SR3-- series? I've heard a lot of mixed things, and I would go for the SR5-- if i had the money, but maybe something like a pickup swap would help the SR300/305? Any recommendations for pickups or other basses? My max price is $450.
Well Enough Alone
you could probably get a used 505 for that price.
Also, with the right set up, the B is perfectly fine.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Some five-string basses with a 34" scale have a somewhat loose-feeling "B" string. Others - notably the Music Man basses - have a solid "B" string on a 34" scale. The "B" string on my 34" scale Ibanez SRX505 feels as good as the one on my Music Man Stingray. The "B" string does feel tighter on my 35" scale bases, though. The point is that with a good bass, a good solid bridge and the right strings, a 34" scale five-string feels and plays just fine. Even on the ones that aren't as good, I've not found the "B" string to flop around like a clothesline and buzz against the frets. A good setup will also make a big difference in the feel and playability.
+1. Warwick only go to 35" for the now out of production Dark Lord, which was tuned to low F#. String guage and setup have far more effect.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
34" should be find as long as you use heavy enough strings. That's the key to having good B-string tension. 135 should do it, though 130 will be ok as long as the bass has a good setup. 125 or lower will be floppy as hell though.
Nope, no sig here.
the B will allways feel a little bit floppy, cause it has to ocilate at such a low frequency. However, I agree with previous posts - sting gauge and setup will go a long way to minimise it. A good setup isn't neccecerily a low one, depending on your style of music & personal tastes.
Quote by Mutant Corn
34" should be find as long as you use heavy enough strings. That's the key to having good B-string tension. 135 should do it, though 130 will be ok as long as the bass has a good setup. 125 or lower will be floppy as hell though.

you say that, but I have my SR700 tuned to BEAD with a 110 B string and it's only slightly too floppy to be comfortable (ordering some 115s next time)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think