Preferably, without a backing track?

It's a small talent show, just me and my guitar (no I can't sing =[).

I only have until Saturday afternoon to get it down, but I'm busy over the next few days so want something I can learn easily, but still is pretty good.

I was considering doing this piece, which sounds cool and stands on its own. Then maybe pairing it up with the back in black solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9LPGgLa14

But any other suggestions? Preferably something distorted?
I mean how good are you

I'd say go with like either Soothsayer solo (which is awesome and you'd win) Old school I'd so maybe Sultans of Swing or Don't Fear the Reaper Solo, or maybe somethin everybody knows like Guns n Roses or ya know, just some ideas

Thrasher

Edit, Soothsayer live, there is a tab for the original song here on UG, great for improvising if you forget some parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Et6BSDMNLY
Last edited by RivercrestColts at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by RivercrestColts
I mean how good are you

I'd say go with like either Soothsayer solo (which is awesome and you'd win) Old school I'd so maybe Sultans of Swing or Don't Fear the Reaper Solo, or maybe somethin everybody knows like Guns n Roses or ya know, just some ideas

Thrasher

Edit, Soothsayer live, there is a tab for the original song here on UG, great for improvising if you forget some parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Et6BSDMNLY

Don't think theres prizes. Just more of a casual/social thing, so i just want to play something cool everyone can enjoy :]

As far as my skill? Well, I'm not that great. I'm good enough to play solos like back in black fine, and sweet child o mine... but the fast lick troubles me most of the time. I'm usually a rhythm guy.

Plus I've never really played in front of a crowd. While I don't get nervous, I also don't want to pick an overly difficult piece, just in case
What kind of pedals and guitar you got (and going to use)

Understandable man, I'd be nervous as hell too. What type of music do you like, kinda hard since It cant be to difficult

This seems pretty simple not to hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2GKK77jZ2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3blGDkpSiw
Last edited by RivercrestColts at Nov 5, 2009,
I'll be playing probably through my Ibanez SZ520QM. I rather use my Agile AL 3100, but the Ibanez is much easier to carry around. I'll be playing through a Roland Microcube. Pedals? None for now, unless you want to count some cheap digitech pedal I have that has a bunch of effects. I haven't used it in ages, though.

I like everything from classic rock, to heavy metal, to hardcore screamo, blues, punk. Runs the gamut. Though I tend to stick with metal, mostly. Metallica, bullet for my valentine type stuff.

Not sure what my audience for the talent show will be, though. I'm actually visiting a college this weekend for a weekend program(high school senior here), and it's a social event for the students participating in the program. So I also want to play a piece that can appeal to a wide audience. Otherwise I'd be playing hard metal licks :p

Blahhh, tough choice.
You could try some songs by The Shadows.... Apache and Don't Cry For Me Argentina aren't that hard (in fact, rather easy) and everybody knows em.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Gnr - out ta get me, great riff and will sound good even if you play it alone. Maybe do some tapping solos ? easy to get it clean and none-guitarplayers will be impressed for sure.
dude put the godfather lick in it it sounds kick ass and everyone went WOOOOOOOHOOOOO when i played that xD

i played the whole thing but the ending sucked out...=P just use the first thing and then go to another solo which is well know or the Sweet child o' mine riff

anyways, GOOD LUCK!
Play with a band? Nobody wants to see you wank a guitar solo, get a band together and play some songs.

Playing unaccompanied is cool and all but if I have to listen to another kid butcher Eruption or Paganini 's 5th Caprice then I'm going end myself.

Edit: If you're really adamant about wanking a solo then at least improvise one instead of playing somebody else's.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 5, 2009,
Jessica - Allman Brothers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Jessica - Allman Brothers.

That song kinda doesn't work without the other guitar parts.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Try playing the vocal line ala Jeff Beck.

So. Awesome.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Little Wing by SRV. It's not that hard and it sounds beautiful.