Page 1 of 2
Hey guys i´m in need of some help.

My friends dad just passed on and since his dad loved my guitar playing and always encouraged me to play i feel it it appropriate to play a song at his funeral. The problem is that i dont really know what song to play.

It should be a calm and easy to listen to song. I will either play aucustic or an leectric guitar with a really soft tone. I will also have a rythm guitarist with me. I can sing pretty well to so songs with singing will work as well.

The songs i have thougt of so far is:

Hills of Eternity - Buckethead
Lone Sal Bug - Buckethead
Spell of the Gypsies - Buckethead

I´d love some more suggestion of songs.

Thanks in advance.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

nothing else matters by metallica perhaps?
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
inb4 i cum blood.

Wish you were here- pink floyd is good
See you on the other side- Ozzy

I personally think Rock and roll suicide by bowie would be good too
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
i came here to make some wise ass comment but then realised that was not cool at all..

in loving memory by alter bridge

tears will ensue
Would Highway to Hell be inappropriate? On the serious side Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, but have fun trying to sing that
Grateful Dead - Brokedown Palace

The last chorus:

Fair the well, fair the well, I love you more than words can tell
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Some acoustic versions of

Knocking on Heavens door (mayme Bob Dylan version rather then Guns)
Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton
Or stairway to heaven by Led Zeppelin.

Or perhaps forever young or sumthing.

Good luck with everything and be strong!
Intermezzo liberte by arch enemy

it's instrumental and it might fit.

And i always get a sad vibe from Buckethead's Big Sur Moon
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
When a friend of ours died at 22, we decided that a live performance of Shine On You Crazy Diamond suited her best of all.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by DJ_Inferno2000

tears will ensue

That is a pretty good suggestion.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

If I were to ever play a song at a funeral for someone, especially if I cared about them I'd play "Winter" by Bayside... You could potentially change some of the lyrics near the end to fit the father's personality since Bayside wrote it about their drummer who passed away. Mostly referring to "these nights in vans, these nights in bars" may not be relevant. And you might want to change "shit" to "things" since it's kind of... you know... a funeral. They are easy fixes, it's a beautiful song, easy to listen to (though kind of a tear jerker), really emotional...
At my funeral I would like "Do You Realise?" by The Flaming Lips to be played. Such a beautiful song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000
i came here to make some wise ass comment but then realised that was not cool at all..

tears will ensue

i too was going suggest a smartass song along the lines of highway to hell or maybe some seasons of the abyss...

but if you go the alterbridge route, must do black bird, no more fitting song in their catalog.
Generally with funerals the songs played fall into two categories. These are the songs that the deceased liked, and the songs that remind people of that person. I think it should be a meaningful choice rather than something that sounds "cool".

Right now the most popular song choice for a funeral is "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. I personally hate that song. I wonder how so many people could be so unoriginal that they couldn't choose a meaningful song which represents their connection to that person and instead go ahead and pick the same song everyone picks for a funeral.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Generally with funerals the songs played fall into two categories. These are the songs that the deceased liked, and the songs that remind people of that person. I think it should be a meaningful choice rather than something that sounds "cool".

Right now the most popular song choice for a funeral is "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. I personally hate that song. I wonder how so many people could be so unoriginal that they couldn't choose a meaningful song which represents their connection to that person and instead go ahead and pick the same song everyone picks for a funeral.

yeah, how many people here's graduation song was time of your life by greenday?

...god i hate that fvcking song!

not to be a dick (you'll see where i'm going with this), but how did your friend's dad die? i mean, if he died in a motorcycle crash, it might be awkward to play some Allman Bros... unless if he really liked the Allman Brothers and everyone there knows it (or atleast enough people sitting in the pews to lean over to others and say, "oh, he loved that song so much...").
cause we've ended as lovers - jeff beck
wish you were here - pink floyd
tears in heaven - eric clapton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000

tears will ensue

when my uncle died that was the only song i could listen to for months.

other ideas are 'Best of You' by Foo Fighters, 'Hemorrhage (In My Hands)' by Fuel, 'Angel' by Hendrix, and 'I Dare You To Move' by Switchfoot.

Please give my condolences to your friend.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, these songs work just as well acoustic as in their original form (which is why I suggested them).
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Last edited by kumamilesbear at Nov 5, 2009,
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
There are a lot of questions that can be answered on forums, but this certainly isn't one of them.

In this kind of situation, all you can do is play something that would do your dad proud. My mate went through a situation like this a few years ago and really the only advice you can offer them is to pick something that means a lot to them.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 5, 2009,
Buckethead?

Really?
To be honest, we can't help you all too much, it's your friends dads funeral and it's a bit too personal.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Gordy,

Sorry for your friends' loss. Consider: Man on the Moon by REM. I heard it played at a funeral once and it brought down the house.

Dish
i'd have to second brothers in arms or tears in heaven
but really it should mean something to him and actually remind people of what a good life he lead
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Stairway to heaven or tears in heaven is the only two i would ever wanna hear at mine.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
In My Life - The Beatles. Meaningful, sentimental, cross-generational, beautiful.

There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1011885/in_my_life_by_beatles/

Here's a lovely piano/vocal version of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHNUVo9eEM

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If you're good enough at guitar I would recommend In Loving Memory by Alter Bridge, amazingly emotional and pretty much the perfect memorial song.

Either that or find out what his favourite songs were and play one of them.
best of you was one suggestion that i saw that is actually really good acoustic, and if you have a singer i say seize the day by A7X, just play the acoustic part on a clean electric and add some distortion for the solo, idk thats just the song i want played at my funeral so maybe it'll work for you. Best of luck mate, give my regards to your friend.
try to do a version of memories by harold faltermeyer? no vocals, but a beautiful song
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Quote by axemanchris
In My Life - The Beatles. Meaningful, sentimental, cross-generational, beautiful.

Interesting choice Chris. I've only ever heard it at weddings, but it is a nice choice.

The Brothers in Arms song is great (Mark Knopfler is my fav), but it's a choice I would pick if my close friend or actual brother died.

Tears in Heaven is a popular choice for the passing of a child or father. It's a great song and translates to solo guitar very well.

What else have I heard at funerals;

Highway to Hell (as mentioned as a joke) was actually played at a mates funeral. He loved AC/DC so it was a great choice. He would have loved it.

Chasing Cars was played at another mates funeral. He didn't like the song, but it was chosen for him by his sister. At the time I was pretty pissed off because I didn't like it either, but in retrospect it was her choice and way of saying goodbye.

Stay Young Little Man (Dixie Chicks) was also played at a mates funeral. It was picked by his mum. What a great emotional choice! But I found it's quite a common choice for mothers to their sons.

The most powerful song I've heard at a funeral though was a solo harmonica piece that my mate was learning around the time he died. It was beautiful and fitting.

Due to the amount of funerals we have been to my brother and I have told eachother what songs we want played at ours. Our parents have really bad taste in music, and we want to have full control over what would be played at ours.
Soundcloud
A good choice would be to solo the vocals to "A Day in The Life" by the beatles, ala Jeff Beck.
Quote by Gord@k
Hey guys i´m in need of some help.

My friends dad just passed on and since his dad loved my guitar playing and always encouraged me to play i feel it it appropriate to play a song at his funeral. The problem is that i dont really know what song to play.

It should be a calm and easy to listen to song. I will either play aucustic or an leectric guitar with a really soft tone. I will also have a rythm guitarist with me. I can sing pretty well to so songs with singing will work as well.

The songs i have thougt of so far is:

Hills of Eternity - Buckethead
Lone Sal Bug - Buckethead
Spell of the Gypsies - Buckethead

I´d love some more suggestion of songs.

Thanks in advance.

Requiem by The Confession.

Perfect song for a funeral imo.
everybody hurts- REM
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
good riddance (time of your life)- Green Day.

its just one of those songs...and im being serious.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
What kind of music did he like? When my uncle died they played Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash on the stereo, simply because it represented my uncle soooo much (He played guitar and used to sing and play that alot). It was really great when they played it, yet very sad
Alot of people commented on the fact that it has to be personal and so on, i realise that and do take that into thought with what songs he wouldnt want to be played and such. The main reason i am playing is that i know he would have loved it and actually told me once that he wanted me to play at his funeral.

I´m not sure but i think i will play In loving memory by Alter Bridge. His father loved Creed and they have the very same style, thats why i´m also considering to play Higher by Creed.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Funeral? If the pops was a strong man, then you just GOTTA play Highway to hell. That would be a darn honor to anybody. It might be simple, but really. Highway to hell is perfect for funeral. In my opinion atleast.

If you are going for the more respectful approach (depending on how the man was of course), probably Stairway to heaven, play it and sing it, and people will whine and cry like little piggies.

But in general i'd say loads of those classic rock songs will do, as long as the song itself has some kind of tie with what you are doing (playing at a funeral), for example, a song about .. what do i know.. Whales that die, wouldn't do shit, while anything about afterlife, death, and so on will do. Just be sure not to play some kind of praise music, because.. well, people there will probably like it, no doubt. It's just a low you don't wanna reach.

Anyway, good luck, and may your friends father rot in peace.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Page 1 of 2