I have been searching for a new amp, (i just have a pratice amp) and i have been looking at the Vox AC30, but i was wondering if there are more similar tube amps out there that have like a british vintage tone to them. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks
While not "a 15 watt version of the ac30", the AC15 is nice.

Especially after performing a few easy mods, and switching out the speaker.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
I wouldn't go for the AC15 if you're looking for AC30 tones. They're two different animals. The 15 has more middy growl, and the 30 is more jangly and bright.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Night Train maybe? AC4TV head with a Top Boost into a poweramp to up the wattage? Complex solution but it could be fun(and cheap).
I'd look hard at the Hiwatt HG50 combo. Good price and giant headroom. Hiwatt tone is legendary, being between a Vox and a Marshall. Think, Townshend, Clapton, Gilmour and most Brit legends of the late sixties and early seventies. Add an extension 2x12 cab with Fanes and you have the lot.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by marc0mu
Laney VC30 is a great alternative to an AC30.

Agreed totally.

My other guitarist was planning on buying a Blackstar Artisan 15 today, and I persuaded him to give the VC30 a try too.
He spent five minutes with one and immediately decided to buy it. Superb little amp, great value too.
Quote by kyle62
Agreed totally.

My other guitarist was planning on buying a Blackstar Artisan 15 today, and I persuaded him to give the VC30 a try too.
He spent five minutes with one and immediately decided to buy it. Superb little amp, great value too.

An unbiased +1
Great amp, very well priced, no complaints (Though I've had it 3 days
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Night Train maybe? AC4TV head with a Top Boost into a poweramp to up the wattage? Complex solution but it could be fun(and cheap).

You can increase the wattage?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by demitriv
You can increase the wattage?

That's what a 'power amp' is for, or indeed a PA system.

Though unless you have a nice one you're really defeating the point of owning valve guitar amp in the first place.
Quote by sg4ever
What is your price range?

+1

Is this a thread to find a budget AC30 or just alternatives?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If the VC30 does actually sound AC30-ish, i would also recommend it.
It's a pretty sweet amp.

I've tried one, but not tried an actual AC30.
Quote by kyle62
Budget: Laney VC30

Mid-range: used Korg AC30 RI (not the new ones)

Money no object: relaunched JMI 30/6 COMBO or an original 60s Vox

+1

Although I'd go XiTS Piper over the new JMIs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
+1

Although I'd go XiTS Piper over the new JMIs.
Haha, I think when we're talking these kind of prices you'd take personal preference into account

XiTS is a new one to me, looks fantastic.
Quote by kyle62
Haha, I think when we're talking these kind of prices you'd take personal preference into account

XiTS is a new one to me, looks fantastic.

Haha, definitely. XiTS is kind of like Matchless in that they're true PTP and based off of Vox designs except one guy does it all and IMO, they sound better. They make some cheaper models too like a 15 watt for $1000 and a 4 watt. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking for a Vox style amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Hiwatts generally don't break up though do they?

but thats exactly what you want them to do. once they break up thats where they really shine imo. there are amps that do clean better.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get an AC30 - the laney VC30 is an amp that has been mentioned in this thread. The VC30 is a total AC30 clone. Even the heralded Matchless DC-30 is based on a '60s AC30 circuit? why fix what 'ain't broke? go grab an ac30 (or better yet a vintage one) and enter tonal bliss!
Orange AD30. orange amps are generally dark but the AD30 was based off the AC30
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
You can get an AC30 for that much. considering you are in melbourne, the used market is pretty decent down there, try and find an older UK made AC30 because imo the new chinese made ones don't come close. you definately won't get one with the alnico blue speakers for that price though.
they are a type of speaker and they are really expensive. if you want to buy a new AC30 with the alnico blue speakers they will run you close to $3500. With the vox speakers the AC30 might run you less then $2500. go to a shop and see the difference for yourself. but definately have a try of the laney vc30. very nice amp for the price.
Quote by joe_k
they are a type of speaker and they are really expensive. if you want to buy a new AC30 with the alnico blue speakers they will run you close to $3500. With the vox speakers the AC30 might run you less then $2500. go to a shop and see the difference for yourself. but definately have a try of the laney vc30. very nice amp for the price.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/voxcuclsene.html

Confused? Unless you're talking about JMI reissues or something.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/voxcuclsene.html

Confused? Unless you're talking about JMI reissues or something.

They're talking in Australian Dollars. I'm pretty sure those prices are US prices.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I might get murdered for this, but the Orange AD30 is somewhat similar to an AC30.

Not close, but more or less that sort of sound.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.