Hey all

I have decided a year without a proper amp is long enough. I have read about tubes versus solid state and its obvious the new amp needs to be tube.

I have a few things in mind.

A Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 is available second hand. What does UG think about this baby? Its all tube.

In the same sort of price range the Peavey Valveking 112 All-Tube Combo is another option.

Which is the smart choice around this price range? I want a bit of versatility because I am interested in all sorts of genres. But pedals are always an option so basically I want a solid tube amp that will serve me well for many years to come.

Thanks
If it's just these two I would simply go down the store and try them out
EDIT: Just read again and realized i would definitely go with the Marshall, but it's all about opinion so my first advice still stands
Last edited by Equivalence at Nov 5, 2009,
the 401 is godly compared to the vk, but expect to need a speaker replacement if the previous owner has not already addressed that issue. also, as with any 2nd hand tube amp, no telling how long those tubes have been in there... might have to replace those soon too. neither one of those issues is bad enough to warrant going with the vk 112 in this situation.
You've read about tube vs. SS? You should try them out yourself.
My friend actually prefers SS over tube. Myself, I like tube.

But are there any base genres you play? Do you feel you need a lot of gain? Do you need good cleans? Is there any specific tone you want?

What a Marshall does might not be the same that a Vox can do, if you know what I mean.

Also what exactly is your price range?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Well I live in Africa lol so prices are all screwed up compared to in the states or Europe. The valve king and the dsl 401 come in at about the same price.

I don't gig now but I don't want to have to go out and buy a new amp if I do so it must be gig ready.

If I do a rough conversion then my budget is around 1000 US.

I tried the Valve King today but the Marshall is not available in the stores here. I liked the VK but I thought it wasn't awesome...

I do play a bit of metal, some blues, some rock. Basically I want that awesome crunch you get with tubes but I want the thing to sound good if I stick it on the clean channel and run some massive distortion through. I definitely want good clean tone too.
Sorry to dredge this thread up again.

I found another option and I'd like your opinions.

Its the Orange Rocker 30 Combo. So how would that compare to the Marshall DSL 401?
orange rocker 30 blows theh vk and dsl out of the water

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

yeah orange rocker 30 might be better in sound, but it doesnt have an effects loop...so you cant play with delay... thats a big reason why i dont like it.