Hey guys,

I recently bought a secondhand Ibanez RG370DX in êrfect condition, no scratches or nothing, it came with pretty thin strings
so I changed them for my favorite E standard strings, the Power Slinkys (.11-.48)

I installed all strings and tuned them, but the bridge came out of the body a bit, so I tightened the springs in the back, and suddenly... BAM! One of the claw screws flew out and wrecked the routing for the screw, so I'm pretty much screwed (forgive me the pun).

Pic:

What now UG?

EDIT: Sorry for the GIANT picture.
Quote by eyebanez333
bigger/longer screw?

I don't know, would that really work?
I mean it only stays put when it's screwed in very deeply and I can't get the springs back on when it's so far in the back.
Quote by TheOpenMind
I don't know, would that really work?
I mean it only stays put when it's screwed in very deeply and I can't get the springs back on when it's so far in the back.

Should work. I had to do this on my frankenstrat. Just get the screws started in the holes, put the springs on the claw (hold the screws in place with one hand if need be)...once the springs are on, start tightening the screws down. The larger and/or longer screw should work just fine.
Quote by eyebanez333
Should work. I had to do this on my frankenstrat. Just get the screws started in the holes, put the springs on the claw (hold the screws in place with one hand if need be)...once the springs are on, start tightening the screws down. The larger and/or longer screw should work just fine.

Thank you!

I thought I had to get it to a luthier or something to get it fixed,
but if this really works then your my savior.

Thanks again.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Nov 5, 2009,
longer or bigger screws will work
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Longer and bigger screws will temporarily fix the problem, If it happens again, then you'll just get another screw witch will continue to widen the hole, and eventually won't fit in the trem claw...

You need to fill the whole withe some kind of filler,. then re-drill.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Longer and bigger screws will temporarily fix the problem, If it happens again, then you'll just get another screw witch will continue to widen the hole, and eventually won't fit in the trem claw...

You need to fill the whole withe some kind of filler,. then re-drill.

Hmm... I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks!
What I always do if a hole was caused by a screw or nail is take a golf tee, cover it in glue, hammer it in the hole. Cut off the big end sticking out and then screw the screw back in.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Filling and re-drilling is the key.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Go to the hardware store, pick up some wood filler and fill the hole. Drill a new pilot hole and it should be fixed. It's a very easy, cheap and quick fix. This would actually repair the problem instead of just putting a bandaid on the problem (i.e. getting a longer screw).
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Last edited by Xherion at Nov 5, 2009,
I wouldn't use wood filler. I'd try and find a small dowel, glue it in there, wait for it to set, then drill into it using the screw. It'd be stronger, as far as I recall.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I know what to do now, I'll go to the hardware shop tomorrow and fill and redrill the hole.
Quote by WinterSteel
I wouldn't use wood filler. I'd try and find a small dowel, glue it in there, wait for it to set, then drill into it using the screw. It'd be stronger, as far as I recall.

THIS^^^ woodfiller can be prone to cracking. Ask in store for wooden dowels (small wooden cylinders) bring along the screw and get one ( or a pack prob.....they very cheap) that is the same width as the screws threads. (this will be the size of your hole)
glue with WOOD GLUE and lightly hammer it in. Leave it overnight to dry then cut off the excess with a sharp stanley blade or similar. Then drill a fresh pilot hole ( WITH A DRILL BIT ) the same width of the screw minus the threads. Screw in your old screw and hey presto.........AS GOOD AS NEW!!....................Woodfiller may be okay, but a dowel will be a more solid, proper fix.
Last edited by MechMike at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Broken up toothpicks in the hole?

The only reason this wouldn't be a good idea is because toothpicks are soft and won't be at good as holding all the pressure of the bridge.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
The only reason this wouldn't be a good idea is because toothpicks are soft and won't be at good as holding all the pressure of the bridge.

Yeah this isn't just a strap screw that needs to be held, the pressure on the screw I would assume would be much more higher so you would want something that is pretty much a permanent solution rather then a quick 5 minute job.