The legendary Les Paul has an amazing design, sound and versatility. Of course with being such an amazing guitar there are going to be thousands of copies. Of the thousands of copies of the Les Paul which one(s) are your favorite. We all know that they can't come close to the original but that doesn't me it's a bad guitar.

Anyway my favorites are
The Ibanez ART100. I own this one and it plays a lot better than my $500 RG.

Epiphone models. I've never played one but making a guitar that looks that close to the original and having a price tag that's roughly 1/3 of the price.

The ESP models. I too have never played one but they look so awesome. I've heard them in my local bands constantly and they are amazing sounding.

Those are a few of my favorite knock offs. What's yours? It doesn't have to be based on sound or playability. It can simple be what colors are available or how the knockoff presents itself.
I wouldn't mind a Navigator LP except for the huge price but judging from my mates it looks well worth the cash.
i actually i like the ESP Eclipse more than the LP. i like how the top of the cut out comes to that point. it's a small change but it makes a big difference. that's the style i have always like though, old school with just a bit of new.
My custom made LP.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Phat Stud 55
We all know that they can't come close to the original

i was unaware of such information, if your looking for superior to Gibson LPs look at Navigator, Edwards and Orville (technically a gibson i suppose)
and my burny plays better then most gibsons ive picked up.
It is my dream to someday be so hardcore, that I can compare my Michael Kelly Patriot Q to a Gibby, to an Epi, to an Agile...and be able to formulate a well informed opinion.
I have an Ibanez ART100 that I love...its my main guitar. Very comfortable. I also have an Agile AL-2800 baritone that plays amazing for what I paid for it.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
We all know that they can't come close to the original but that doesn't me it's a bad guitar.

really? I've played MIJ copies which imo destroy modern production gibsons. Unless you mean an actual les paul standard from 1959, in which case you may have a point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Washburn's lawsuits, Ibanez's lawsuits, and Washburn's Idols, if you could call those rip offs.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
all you people that say your $500 copy is better than an actual gibson are just jealous you cant afford one. some can be good, but not that good
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by SoLgEr
all you people that say your $500 copy is better than an actual gibson are just jealous you cant afford one. some can be good, but not that good

You have no idea. The Agile AL-3000 with a pickup upgrade it comparable to a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Even if you don't change the pickup, you can be very close.
Quote by SoLgEr
Jealousy has nothing to do with it.

Why pay thousands for a Gibson Les Paul when you get 95% of the same thing for a fraction of the price. Is that extra 5% worth the cost? I say not. Considering when you hear that "Les Paul" sound, its after its been run through a pedal board and an amp. You can get the same sound with another guitar just by tweaking the pedals and amp setup. You rarely ever hear it clean. Its always processed.

That being said.. Would I still want an original Gibson Les Paul? Yes, but it would be purely food for my ego. And until that day comes, my MK Patriot Q and Bradley LPC will suffice.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by SoLgEr

Load of bullshit. The only thing about my Gibson that I think is really beyond compare are it's pickups - and they're not even stock, they're Lollars. I'd rather have a Navigator, or even better, a good condition '70s Ibanez Les Paul.

I also would like to express frustration with people listing things like Carvin's CS series, Washburn's Idols, etc. - being a single cutaway double-humbucker solidbody does not make something a Les Paul knockoff.
Quote by Flying Couch

I also would like to express frustration with people listing things like Carvin's CS series, Washburn's Idols, etc. - being a single cutaway double-humbucker solidbody does make something a Les Paul knockoff.

Thus why I said 'if you could call it that'. I completely agree with you, rip offs are going to be lawsuits, mainly. Washburn's and Ibanez's lawsuits are so fantastic.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Symtex
You have no idea. The Agile AL-3000 with a pickup upgrade it comparable to a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Even if you don't change the pickup, you can be very close.

agiles are no different than all the other generic copies like epiphone, chinese tokais, vintage etc. as far as instruments go they may be somewhat comparable to a particularly average gibson guitar, but regardless they are made from inferior wood to just about any gibson you'll find, which is a big reason why you pay less for them. Because of that, changing pickups might make the sound comparable, and a good setup might make it play just as well, but the same setup on a gibson, combined with the same pickups, and the gibson will certainly be a lot better than the knock-off, unless you take a particularly good knockoff and a particularly bad gibson.

i think the big thing with gibson and other high-end companies is that you have to have the necessary skill to do them any justice - a guitar can only be as good as the person playing it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Auriemma
Jealousy has nothing to do with it.

Why pay thousands for a Gibson Les Paul when you get 95% of the same thing for a fraction of the price. Is that extra 5% worth the cost? I say not. Considering when you hear that "Les Paul" sound, its after its been run through a pedal board and an amp. You can get the same sound with another guitar just by tweaking the pedals and amp setup. You rarely ever hear it clean. Its always processed.

That being said.. Would I still want an original Gibson Les Paul? Yes, but it would be purely food for my ego. And until that day comes, my MK Patriot Q and Bradley LPC will suffice.

i agree with this guy
If you want an LP as close to or better than Gibson, but about the same price, look no further than Heritage guitars. These are union people who worked for Gibson until it moved to Tenn. Those left behind started their own company producing Gibson's the old fashioned way. I won't get into it, but there is some interesting reading in here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Guitars

and their website here:

http://www.heritageguitar.com/indexa.html

Hey, if Alex Skolnick has a sig model here, that's good enough for me.

Here's his:

Personally, I have an Epi LP Standard (Plus) and I think it feels and sounds awesome.

Peace
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.

This is my 1977 Bradley. It just came back from the luthier for a some repair work (replaced the corroded bridge, tailpiece and studs) a complete setup and electrical check (it sat in storage for last 12 years). I asked about replacing the pots, caps, and pups, for new ones. He said not to change anything else. It had that classic Les Paul sound. That says volumes to me.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by wetrx95
If you want an LP as close to or better than Gibson, but about the same price, look no further than Heritage guitars. These are union people who worked for Gibson until it moved to Tenn. Those left behind started their own company producing Gibson's the old fashioned way.

I agree. A Heritage H157 is perhaps the best currently produced Les Paul style guitar out there. Sadly, they are hard to find. They don't have a large distribution for these guitars.
Quote by SoLgEr

i agree if you're talking about chinese epis and the like, but it depends on the copy. i'd put my edwards up against any non-CS gibson I've tried (with a pickups and electronics swap, anyway, i don't really like the stock JB). I've tried tokais which would embarass any non-CS gibson. Not "almost as good", more like "far better". Of course, they wouldn't be in the $500 range unless you got a smoking deal second-hand. and things like those navigators which phil suggested, and high-end tokais and the like, cost as much, if not more, than the custom shop gibson stuff.

Quote by Blompcube
agiles are no different than all the other generic copies like epiphone, chinese tokais, vintage etc. as far as instruments go they may be somewhat comparable to a particularly average gibson guitar, but regardless they are made from inferior wood to just about any gibson you'll find, which is a big reason why you pay less for them. Because of that, changing pickups might make the sound comparable, and a good setup might make it play just as well, but the same setup on a gibson, combined with the same pickups, and the gibson will certainly be a lot better than the knock-off, unless you take a particularly good knockoff and a particularly bad gibson.

i think the big thing with gibson and other high-end companies is that you have to have the necessary skill to do them any justice - a guitar can only be as good as the person playing it.

yup.

and good call on the heritages, wetrx95, very nice guitars. Only been able to try one, but it was very nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have to say I much prefer my ESP eclipse over any of the Gibson Les Paul's I've played which is one of the main reasons I got. It just felt better to me in every way.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I never played a gibson les paul, I have an al-3000 and I love it. It plays well and sounds great stock. But I don't believe it will be a better build guitar than a gibson les paul. It will have better quality woods and pickups which make a difference, but 2000 dollars more? No, I'm fine with my al-3000.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ