Hey guys,
I'm kind of a bit confused concerning high-end guitars and guitarists with signature guitars getting bolt-on guitars instead of neck-through.

I just don't understand the point of getting a bolt-on when you can ask for a neck through and same with really high-end custom guitars companies (Black machine for example) prefering bolt-on guitars over neck through....

Is there any big difference, or comfortability greatness? I know that neck through guitars are even supposed to have better sustain.
Can anyone help me there?

TarZz
Guitars: Carvin Dc127
Amps: Peavey 6505+ head
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Preference mainly. No large reason aside from that.
Also, bolt ons are slightly easier to manufacture than set or neck throughs, and the best bolt on will have a fraction (Unnoticeable, but there) of sustain more than the best set neck or neck through.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Nov 5, 2009,
and if they break a neck they can just put another on instead of getting another guitar
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Tedis1111
it gives a certain sound which alot of people like

Never heard about that..sounds kinda unoticable to me...
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
people say theres a difference in sound. i dont hear it. i have 2 guitars both with mahagony bodies and 5 piece maple/walnut necks. one is neck thru and the other is bolt on. they both have emg pickups. there is almost no difference in sound, and what difference there is i can't connect to it being from the neck at all

i know some touring musicians prefer neck thru, in case they like drop their guitar and the headstock flies off, you can just replace the neck instead of getting a new guitar. thats not a huge reason though, do i dont really know
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Neck-through is actually a fundamentally terrible construction design unless you're using specific species of wood and make it to the very, very highest standard. Even then it's only possible for it to equal a bolt-on in terms of sustain and response, plus it still has the downside of not being easy to repair. Set necks sit between the two.

Quote by rtfk101
people say theres a difference in sound. i dont hear it. i have 2 guitars both with mahagony bodies and 5 piece maple/walnut necks. one is neck thru and the other is bolt on. they both have emg pickups. there is almost no difference in sound, and what difference there is i can't connect to it being from the neck at all
That's why the sound the same.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

That's why the sound the same.

yea i know emgs kinda all sound the same. my point is the neck design doesnt really change the tone at all
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
OKay, thanks guys.
Marshall 1960A cab
Roland cube 15
Effects:
BOSS NS-2
INHALED
Quote by rtfk101
yea i know emgs kinda all sound the same. my point is the neck design doesnt really change the tone at all

TS, don't listen to this idiot, he doesn't know what he's taking about X_x
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by rtfk101
Congratulations, you manged to both understand the point and then completely fail to understand it in the same sentence.

Active pickups compress tone - a lot. So no, when you use active pickups, you're not going to notice so much difference between construction types or even wood specieis. That's why companies like ESP (and even Epiphone now) are happy to put active pickups in their low-end guitars, it'll still sound 99% the same as a high-end guitar that costs them more to produce, so they can convince more people the cheaper ones are worth buying and sell many more instruments.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I like the feel of a neck through. It has a nicer response to me too.
I find bolt-ons to be a bit brighter, snappier response and less sustaining (though no doubt this is more to do with the longer scale than the neck join).

Sustain ain't always good, and equalkly a lot of players simply prefer the sustain.

Also, cost comes into play. The Fender USA Standard Strat and Gibson Les Paul Standard are roughly the same quality level, but the Gibby is more than twice as expensive. Why? I'm guessing:

A) Glued-in neck joint takes longer and is more expensive
B) Nitrocellulose laqcuer is costly and a total bitch to apply
C) Gibson is ludicrously overpriced
a big part of how the guitar sounds is the model, make, quality control,

the make up of the overall quality of that specific guitar.

a lot of low end guitars are made with bolt on necks.
that's a big part of why some guys feel that bolt on= less sustain, lower quality,
when compared to set, or thru-necks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by TarZz
Never heard about that..sounds kinda unoticable to me...

It sounded ridiculous to me at first, but most guitars that I've tried fit the described characteristics.

Bolt-ons sound punchier, set necks sound smoother. I haven't tried many neck-through's, but I imagine they'd be more like set necks.
Quote by jj1565

a lot of low end guitars are made with bolt on necks.
that's a big part of why some guys feel that bolt on= less sustain, lower quality,
when compared to set, or thru-necks.

yeah ive always felt that way. i simply havent had a reason to think any differently. but obviously there's reasons why MIA fenders are bolt on.

same with basswood bodies. ive only recently found out that its not necessarily bad.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
yeah ive always felt that way. i simply havent had a reason to think any differently. but obviously there's reasons why MIA fenders are bolt on.

same with basswood bodies. ive only recently found out that its not necessarily bad.

Bolt-on basswood guitars can have amazing tone and sustain, just listen to EVH, Petrucci, Satch, Vai, and Gilbert.
^That's his point. Lot's of people are used to seeing basswood used on low end Epi's and whatnot, and so they assume that basswood is crap. He said that he's only just realised that basswood is in fact a great tonewood.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by rtfk101

thats because your playing EMGs, you dont hear the tonalities of the wood or the construction, you traded that for a battery and high output drive.