Can it be done? I am starting out very new indeed, I already have a electric guitar and amp, but both suck. I got it as a kit for £100 :] Now the bridge pickups dont work on the guitar and the amp sounds like it always has, crap. Especially with any kind of distortion on.

I aim to play a bit of everything, my tastes go from Dire Straits to Satriani to Metallica, so its quite varied. Is there any you can do anything with such a tight budget for new player?

I was looking at something like this for an amp

Vox VT15

Vox DA10

Whats the different between the VT and the DA range?

And as for the guitar:

Yamaha Pacifica 012

or

Ibanez GSA60

The Ibanez and the DA will really be stretching my budget, but Ive heard good things about both. But the Pacifica 012 is meant to be a great beginners guitar as well isnt it?

Can I do better with the money?

Thanks for your help
Quote by Tedis1111
dont buy anything for that price its not worth it, save to 500 AT LEAST

I dont plan on gigging or anything, its just for me to learn to play guitar without being so discouraged by the frankly terrible tone I get from the amp.

Spending £500 on something which I dont know if I'll justify by spending enough time with it is a bit...I dunno.
Quote by Tedis1111
dont buy anything for that price its not worth it, save to 500 AT LEAST

yes it is
Here's what I'd get:
Vox VT15
£100
Tuner, Cables, Picks.... £30
That leaves you with £120 for a guitar.
Save an extra £20, grab this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-LTD-M50-Electric-Guitar-Blue-Satin_W0QQitemZ370153198497QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item562ed993a1
I started on one and they are really great for the price - The neck is really thin! In a few years, change out the pickups and electronics, and you've got a guitar which is just as good as some for twice the price!
go for the cheap option. i had a mate who spent 1000 on an amp and guitar and now they're collecting dust...(the guitar will soon be sold to me). i have the vox vt30 and i am very happy with it, i think the 15 has the same features.
you might be able to manage a pacifica 112v and roland microcube for around your budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you might be able to manage a pacifica 112v and roland microcube for around your budget.

The Micro Cube seems a bit too...micro for my liking. It is only for bedroom practice, but Id still like a meaty amp behind me.

I hadn't really looked into ESP guitars, mainly because I think of them as "metal" guitars. Can they do cleans too? No single coil, so wondering...

Anyone have any experience with the GSA60 or the Pacifica 012? Im edging towards the Ibanez because Ibanez are (supposedly) meant to have very playable necks no?
i haven't tried either of those guitars. they both have the rep of being beginners' guitars, though (whereas the pacifica 112v has the rep of being a beginners' guitar which is good enough to justify upgrades later).

you could also consider this, with the caveat that you know how to do setups and are willing to accept the slightly higher risks involved with buying online.

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10242

I haven't tried that exact model, but assuming it's as nice as the matt design version i tried in a different shop, that's a very nice guitar at a crazy price. So crazy, in fact, that it makes me suspicious. You'd want to email them to make sure it's not b-stock or something like that. I've seen the matt version i talked about on sale in northern ireland for £400. That would actually be the one I'd go for if i were buying a guitar at your budget, assuming I could satisfy my suspicions etc. As i said, the matt version i tried was more like an intermediate guitar than even a good beginners' guitar which justifies upgrades like the pacifica 112v.

the microcube is great, as long as you're only practising. you're not going to get much better (apart from maybe the vox da5, which i haven't tried) without forking out quite a bit more money, and that's going to serious eat into your guitar budget, which would be a bad idea if you ask me. there's not much point in having two beginners' guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 5, 2009,
Yamaha Pacifica and Orange Crush 15(r). Orange make frickin awesome amps. Plus it looks sexy.

^And the Pacifica is a great choice, it's absolutely fine.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Yamaha Pacifica and Orange Crush 15(r). Orange make frickin awesome amps. Plus it looks sexy.

^And the Pacifica is a great choice, it's absolutely fine.

That looks like a stunning amp, but the VT seems to have plenty of options and sounds (the advantages of a modelling amp I guess) and I would quite prefer that especially when its jus like £20-£30 more than the Orange.
Quote by Satch_Boogie
Well since I am a beginner, sure a beginners guitar is appropriate? I'm constantly hearing that you don't want to skimp on the amp, so I feel like I don't want to go lower than the VT 15.

As for that guitar though, I can't seem to find much about it online. I like extensive reviews unfortunately.

true, but if you ask me, around your budget you don't want to skimp on the guitar, either. And the microcube is very, very nice for the price. it's nicer than a lot of amps which are more expensive, if you ask me. and the fact that it can be used on batteries means you might still find a use for it once you've upgraded the amp.

I guess the same could be said for the vox da5, but i haven't tried that one.

Don't get me wrong, if you can stretch to the vt15, go for it. But personally i wouldn't go for the vt15 if it meant forgoing the 112v for the 012.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll have to try and find either the amp or the guitar second hand...I'm putting off buying the stuff till summer though since I am not going to be in the country for a few months. Maybe prices will drop a little then.

Are there any other guitars I should be looking at? Im pretty set on the amp (although I still dont know the difference between the VT 15 and the DA 10) but still looking for guitar options.
well if you're looking second-hand, that makes things a lot more open-ended, as you never know what you might find if you just get lucky. and it also brings discontinued models into play.

iirc, the da5 was brought out as vox's answer to the microcube. it lost the preamp tube the bigger valvetronixes have, but how much that influenced the tone, i have no idea, as i said i haven't tried the das... the da10 was presumably a slightly more powerful version. the vt *might* sound slightly better, in other words, while the da might be more portable and be able to be run on batteries.

edit: just checked the vox site... yup, what i said seems to be basically true. the vt15 has a bigger speaker (though the da10 has two slightly smaller ones), and the vt has more amp models. personally i'd go for the vt (assuming you don't try them and prefer the tone of the da10, lol), unless portability is a big plus for you e.g. busking.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you thought of just buying new pickups, get some really decent ones and save the money for a way better guitar in the future or blow it all on the amp.
Quote by sjb123
Have you thought of just buying new pickups, get some really decent ones and save the money for a way better guitar in the future or blow it all on the amp.

Well I dunno what exactly is wrong with electrics, could be the pickups, could be the wiring at the switches, so I dont want to waste money on a fix that may not be a fix.

And I dont feel like I need to save up for a way better guitar, as someone who is just about able to play the intro to Sweet Child O Mine without messing up, I think £250 is more than enough for me to play around with until I can justify a more expensive set up.
it's your call, of course, but i disagree with that kind of logic. if you ask me, a better guitar will make you want to play more, plus if it's not much better than your old one it's arguably a waste of cash. depends on how much you like your old guitar, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?