I know there are many threads asking 'will a bass through a guitar amp damage it', but i was wondering if it would be alright if I played at a low volume.

Cheers in advance

EDIT: Low meaning about bedroom level.
Last edited by luke-bassist at Nov 5, 2009,
This is covered in almost every single "bass through a guitar amp thread." It is literally always said in those threads that it will be fine as long as you play at low volumes. Exactly what is it about searching and reading that peple don't understand? Also, if you're playing through a guitar combo it will sound like a giant pile of failure and AIDS. do yourself a favor and at least get one bass cab to play through.
Quote by frigginjerk
nope. still gonna damage it. the frequencies that come out of a bass guitar don't change with volume. it may damage it a little less, or it may take a bit longer, but it's still a bad idea.

This statement is false. The frequency of a guitar doesn't change with volume either. That has nothing to do with it. Its not going to hurt anything. You want to keep it at a low volume because the speakers for guitar amps aren't built for bass. Other than that it won't hurt a thing.
Um, yeah, it will damage the amp. "Bedroom level" would do that.

I started playing through an old smashed up guitar amp cos I couldn't afford a proper one, and cos I knew I wasn't going to use that amp for anything other than bass. It didn't sound as good as my newly acquired amp does...so if you've got the money, play through something worthwhile. If it's just to tide you over, and you're not going to use the guitar amp for anything else, I guess you can hit it and quit it.

But yep, it isn't good for the thing in the long run.
Last edited by palewhtebassist at Nov 5, 2009,
Hmm, well the bassist from clatter uses a mesa boogie guitar amp and a guitar mesa boodie 4x12 for her distortion and she never had a problem, so im sure.

As far as i know its fine as long as you dont put strong low frequecies through it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by palewhtebassist
Um, yeah, it will damage the amp. "Bedroom level" would do that.

This statement is absolutely incorrect in every way. I challenge you to provide any proof that playing a bass through a guitar amp does any damage at all to the amp (amp, not the speaker) at any volume, let alone at just low bedroom volumes.
Quote by Bumper
This statement is absolutely incorrect in every way. I challenge you to provide any proof that playing a bass through a guitar amp does any damage at all to the amp (amp, not the speaker) at any volume, let alone at just low bedroom volumes.

Oh my god....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Bumper

Well, you could be a complete jerk about it.

Most people would refer to all components (amp and speaker) as the "amp". Especially if it's a combo.

Anyways, to the TS... it would probably work fine. However, it would sound horrible, and there is a chance (however small) that it could damage the SPEAKER (that better, Bumper?) in your combo amp. So be aware of that.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
Well, you could be a complete jerk about it.

Most people would refer to all components (amp and speaker) as the "amp". Especially if it's a combo.

Anyways, to the TS... it would probably work fine. However, it would sound horrible, and there is a chance (however small) that it could damage the SPEAKER (that better, Bumper?) in your combo amp. So be aware of that.

1. I can (and most certainly will) be a complete jerk about it and most everything else, for that matter.

2. The speaker would almost certainly suffer nominal if any damage when playing at low volumes.

3. Had the thread starter used google/the search button/common sense this entire thread could have never been posted.
i was wondering something. If i play a bass through a guitar amp would it do any damage to the bass. I will have to wait a while until i can afford a bass amp and i have this shitty little fender guitar amp that i don't care about. But, i don't want to damage my bass. That is my priority
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
I think a guitar amp head through bass speakers would sound pretty cool, especially some bitchin distortion
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Bumper
1. I can (and most certainly will) be a complete jerk about it and most everything else, for that matter.

Then no one will ever take your advice, ever...

2. The speaker would almost certainly suffer nominal if any damage when playing at low volumes.

Low volumes does not equal bedroom volumes...

3. Had the thread starter used google/the search button/common sense this entire thread could have never been posted.

Had you answered such a simple question without being a complete dick then this thread would be on the second or third page by now...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by Rain_In_Blood
i was wondering something. If i play a bass through a guitar amp would it do any damage to the bass. I will have to wait a while until i can afford a bass amp and i have this shitty little fender guitar amp that i don't care about. But, i don't want to damage my bass. That is my priority

No, It won't do anything to the bass.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by biga29

Then no one will ever take your advice, ever...

Low volumes does not equal bedroom volumes...

Had you answered such a simple question without being a complete dick then this thread would be on the second or third page by now...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, It won't do anything to the bass.

The question was answered in the first three responses, slow motion. This is a question that has been asked countless times and a simple google search would have easily answered the original question.

As for no one taking my advice, I've been a bass forum regular since you were in diapers, son. I've answered more of these retarded questions that should never be asked than can be counted.

And lastly, the TS (moron though he is) did say low volumes. low bedroom volumes in fact. Thus meaning that when he plays in his bedroom, the volume is fairly low.

Don't be a tool.

Quote by Rain_In_Blood

Are you serious? You're just being snide, right?
Quote by Bumper
The question was answered in the first three responses, slow motion. This is a question that has been asked countless times and a simple google search would have easily answered the original question.

As for no one taking my advice, I've been a bass forum regular since you were in diapers, son. I've answered more of these retarded questions that should never be asked than can be counted.

And lastly, the TS (moron though he is) did say low volumes. low bedroom volumes in fact. Thus meaning that when he plays in his bedroom, the volume is fairly low.

Don't be a tool.

First off, I'm not your son...

Now that we got that out of the way, believe it or not, we're not all smart as you. Since you've been here so long, one would think that you've gotten used to stepping off your pedestal to help those who are just starting out... But apparently it pisses you off that not everyone has been granted such a large intelligence as yours... (Yes, I did use that twice, just for a little emphasis...)

Are you serious? You're just being snide, right?

Point proven, Thanks...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
lol @ conversation.
I doubt it will damage the amp head, but there may be a small chance in the speaker blowing or shorting or whatever. Id do it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
^ another lol @ conversation

TS, do you care about said guitar amp? If not you can do it, you might not get a sound you like, and your speaker can die a terrible, horrendous death. If you don't care about the condition of it though, it should tide you over until you get a proper bass amp
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Bumper

The idea that longevity = good is completely false. And just because they have been asked before doesn't mean you have to be a douche. Maybe you could do one of the following

1 - Ignore it... you know, like a normal person would

2 - Tell them to google it and leave, maybe even make a funny by using "Let Me Google That for You", then you'd get more of a positive rep and people wouldn't think you're such a ****
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Bumper= asshole?

No one is forcing you to read or post in this thread you know.

TS, Ive never tried it. But if you plan on using the amp for anything but practicing a little bass here and there, I wouldnt risk it. It could potentially damage the amp
Bumper = asshole? Good job, chief. You've successfully related into a mathmatical equation what it took five long hard years of bass foruming to get across to the GP.

Quote by biga29
apparently it pisses you off that not everyone has been granted such a large intelligence as yours

On one point, you are absolutely correct. It does piss me off. However, in this case it's not so much a matter of being intelligent as it is a matter of being intelligent enough to search. That little bar was put there for a reason, son.

Also, cute font.
Quote by Bumper

On one point, you are absolutely correct. It does piss me off. However, in this case it's not so much a matter of being intelligent as it is a matter of being intelligent enough to search. That little bar was put there for a reason, son.

Also, cute font.

(Last Post, I promise... )

Whatever dude, you keep getting pissed at people, I'll keep helping them, heck, it'll make us nice people just look nicer...

Just remember, you weren't always the god you are today, I'm fairly sure at one point in your life you sounded a little clueless too. Just because you know what you're doing now, doesn't mean you should piss on the people who don't...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Bumper
Bumper = asshole? Good job, chief. You've successfully related into a mathmatical equation what it took five long hard years of bass foruming to get across to the GP.

Also, cute font.

Wow dude. I hope you get banned
I have played bass through a small guitar combo before. Me and my dad did this untill we got a proper bass amp.

Is my lil' peavey amp still alive? yes. Did we fear for its life anytime we hit a low E? yes. Basically you can do it, but get a bass amp ASAP, it will sound better and you won't be risking anything. AND PLAY SOFT.
no sir away a papaya war is on
bumper, calm down.

guitar amps are not affected.

in fact, if you can get a cheap bass speaker and drop that in there, you can get some nice, if low in the bassiness, sounds.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah bumper's being a bit hot headed at the moment but he's right.

Playing at low levels will damage the speaker in the tiniest amount or not at all.

Anything else is just nitpicking
playing through a guitar amp no matter the volume it will still damage the speaker.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.