This prolly one of the heaviest songs I've written so far, simple, but heavy. Right now I just have the drums and rythem guitar, contomplating on how I should add a lead guitar in there without ruining the heavyness of the song.

I'm a bit skeptical of the acoustic part, does it take away from the feel of the song?

How should I add a lead guitar in there? Should I just harmonize, or solo near the end, or harmonize in the chours and solo at the end?

Lastly, how does it sound? Like hows my mix?

Linky: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play728012

C4C like always

Thanks.

Ok, so I remixed the song with a new tone, and I wrote a lead guitar for it. It pops everynow and then, I'm working on getting that fixed, but this is what its most likely going to be finished like.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play729433
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Nov 6, 2009,
I dont know wtf the deal is with this connection or whether it is the laptop - but i can't seem to listen to any mp3's on a UG profile, not even my own - yet I can listen in on myspace band pages or youtube vids just fine so I don't believe it's the connection. And I've done all of the necessary updates that UG asked for (Flash or w/e it asked for) so I'm not sure what is going on that isn't allowing me to play the mp3's. If you prefer - let me send you a friend invite and I can take a listen to it later when I actually get ahold of a desktop comp (or just a different comp in general)
lol yeha that worked a helluva lot better XD

Like the way the bass and snare sound but the drumming sounds a bit robotic (can't say mine are any better lol) but I lik ethe warm tone to them.

The guitar is what strikes me as iffy - as there is just too much distortion if you ask me and the tone sorta kills it

it sounds like a song that needs to be carried with some sorta lead - whether that be a vocal track accompanied by a guitar lead - it just needs something else overall, as it needs something to bring it a bit more expression if you ask me

the cymbals are also another complaint, you may wanna consider changing up which symbals you choose to strike when you're coming towards the end of a measure, instead of a 3 in a row striking of the same one, and also consider delaying the hit on the last of the 3

thx for the crit ^_^
Last edited by Night at Nov 5, 2009,
Yeah, I'm using a pertty robotic drum machine, not much I can do about it. Still a noob at programing drums. lol But I'll see what I can do about it.

Is it really too much distortion? Its not even double tracked, and I'm not even using half of the gain I have on tap. I personally like alot of gain, might need to try different impluses.
I actually think its not bad for pulling that much gain out of a Valveking. Or it could just be the Drop A# tuning I used, that might be adding gain.

Thanks though, every little bit help
im kinda disapointed since it said thrash and this wasnt thrash. maybe if you bumped the bpm up like 50 or so. i know genre wars are pointless but when i see thrash i think megadeths first four albums. this was more like metallica later on. other than that the song itself was good and ill give you a break on tone n shit cuz a demo is about recording the music and idk why most people cant imagine how the song would sound like recorded better. id say for now worry about finishing the song by either putting vocals on it or a few leads just to make the song fuller and worry about actual tone n stuff later
Quote by YourMasterIsMe
im kinda disapointed since it said thrash and this wasnt thrash. maybe if you bumped the bpm up like 50 or so. i know genre wars are pointless but when i see thrash i think megadeths first four albums. this was more like metallica later on. other than that the song itself was good and ill give you a break on tone n shit cuz a demo is about recording the music and idk why most people cant imagine how the song would sound like recorded better. id say for now worry about finishing the song by either putting vocals on it or a few leads just to make the song fuller and worry about actual tone n stuff later

I'm not making that big a deal out of the tone bit - but I also understand that whenever I'm recording, if ihave a desirable tone coming out and being placed into the mix - it doesn't stress nor pull away too much at what I'm trying to do. It's more or less a pet peeve of mine to have a good mix going yet the guitar tone sucking my attention away as it becomes either too distracting or weighs down the whole mix altogether into a different direction than what I first had intended. But this is a tone that you did say was working for you which is more than enough in the first place - which is good if it helps you get your creative juices a goin :P

overdubbing helps yes - but it just seemed a bit harsh or cold, if I remember correctly - as I'm not listening to it right at this moment.All I rem is that it just wasn't my cup of tea, but as Your' said - w/e works in the meantime - you can worry about the tone in the end. I just personally go for the ttone I like from the get go so that I know where my mix is going from then on - which is what you're doing as well.

Again in response to Your's input - if you get it done the way you want it the first time - then you wont have to half ass around and start over due to some "tone" issue. Even though recording is a back and forth process, I normally find myself doing another take oftentimes due to my f*ckin up on the guitar, than i ever do on account of my tone, thats sorta something you try to establish from the beginning if you ask me, whether it is demo or not. you can always perform surgery on your guitar track due to some timing issue or mess up on teh guitar - which, if you ask me - is a hell of a lot easier than having to mold your entire track's tone after recording a mic'd amp. Course this is all changed if you're using amp modulars instead :P since you can just change the plugin itself on the fly XD
Last edited by Night at Nov 5, 2009,
I'm acutally running a weird set up, I'm not micing the amp, but I'm also not using a amp modular. I'm using the preamp off my Valveking and running it direct line in into my soundcard, and modifying the tone futher from there. And I guess using a Boss Ds-1 is not all that great of a recording distortion. I'll play aroudn with implusus and see if I can get it better.

Thanks for the crit guys.
This is definately the wrong place to ask but how do you mic an amp? I just learned you even could from watching bands studio footage. I only have a condenser mic as i have no idea what the difference is and all i know is its pretty bad for vocals. I think its made to pickup pick attack or something. Anyways can i mic with a condenser mic?
honestly man i dig it. pretty good sound for recording on the line out. i dont like to crit people on every tiny little mistake they make. i try to look at the song as a whole. so aside from a few tiny things with the drum machine, you've got a nice groove going here.

that's gotta be a bitch using a drum machine though. it seems like its difficult to put the crashes where you want them, or at least where i think they should go. i was lucky enough to borrow my friends electric drums, and just today i got this double kick pad, so ill be able to use my iron cobra on my future recordings!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

^ badass man, I wish I had a drum set to play with, I've played drums before, there pertty difficult, but I bet I could make more emotional drums with an actual drum set. Programing that drum machine is a bitch, this track alone took me almost 2 hours to write, and it only consists of I think 18 patterns.

What do you think about the acoustic part? Nobody has crited on it yet, I dont know if it fits the feel of the song or not.
Im impressed man. The riff is good, very good. You sound definately add a bit of lead in there to add a little more to it, but over all it sounds great. You should'nt worry about the acoustic part. I thought it was ace.
The drums do sound a little robotic but its very hard to do well is'nt it lol.

Would love for you to listen to some of my stuff an leave an opinion if you have time.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cyberslunk/

Peace out Cyberslunk
haha its pretty cool mann but yeah maybe make it a little faster. or at least put in some more double bass in there lol

also crash cymbal is too loud

i actually like the acoustic part but the way you transitioned it to the chord progression and the solo isn't the best in my opinion. after a slow break down i would expect some heavy and/or fast guitar and screaming lol sounds like lamb of god but slowed down kinda

sounds like it'd be a good intro song to an album