I normally always play through my USB mixer into my PC through some amp sims, but I'm tired of being tethered to my PC to play, so I want a small amp I can use with headphones, mp3 player input and some different sounds as I like to play blues, metal, cleans, all kinds of stuff. I was looking at the Peavey Vypyr 15. Is this the best in that price range? I don't want something I'm going to need pedals with and all kinds of other crap, just a small amp I can carry around the house and jam with. I was looking at the roland cube, but they don't seem to have many different sounds and effects. I'm trying to see if the only peavey dealer in my town has one in stock to play around with, but its not like I'm buy a $1000 stack that I want to play and get to know, just something cheap. I was looking at the Vox Amplugs but they are expensive considering they only use batteries and you only get one tone.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
The vox looks nice but its twice the price here in canada of the Vypyr 15 and beyond what I'm looking to spend at this time.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
ya, its my bday, i'm broke and a $120 for the vypyr up here is looking good. I'm going to check out the couple of music stores we have in town and see if they have anything else, but probably not. lol.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Vox just sounds nicer.. don't know much about the vyper but i'm assuming it's all digital? The vox is tube driven so you get that nice warm tube sound along with the digital amp modeling.
The vox is not entirely tube driven, its got one pre-amp tube which IMO,doesn't do much for the tone. Go with the vypyr its a very decent amp for the price. And it uses analog amp modeling.
My Gear
Cube 30
Sx Strat

My Future Gear:

Laney Cub 10 Ibanez RG350EX GT-10
Vypyr 30 Cort X-TH Ibanez TS9
6505+ Dlux Players Strat Hotplate
JSX Standard Tele Cases
TSL100 Dean Razorback 7 Stands
Dlux Reverb Dean From Hell Stuff...
Last edited by Zigfreed at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by GeToChKn
I was looking at the Peavey Vypyr 15. Is this the best in that price range?
IMO, yes.
Yes, I'd go for the Vypyr.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
The store had a used Vox AD30VT-XL in the back, that has maybe 20hrs on it and in brand new shape. It was a friend of the owners who never played it, so I grabbed that. Same price as the vypyr, 12" speaker instead of 8", tube preamp and I think a better deal.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
I got it for $180 without taxes and they wanted $140 plus tax for the vypyr.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Cool man, I was gonna reccomend the Vypyr myself though. I got one for just that; jamming wherever I want with a light little amp, and it is absolutely perfect for that. Im suprised it cost that much at the store though. I got my Vypyr from Guitar Center for $89 new
the 15w vypyr is one of the best vypyrs, imo. so cheap, and sounds good at low volumes = win for 100 bucks
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by GeToChKn
I got it for $180 without taxes and they wanted $140 plus tax for the vypyr.

Seems like a square deal. Congrats!
cool. good deal
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Only been playing with it for about an hour but I'm pleased with the tones I can get already without much tweaking. The 12" speaker add's alot over a 8" in the vypyr I think.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
The vypyr sounded like the one for you, but sounds like your prices are higher since I got mine for $80 at GC.

What's weird isI love the newer vox VT series, but don't care much for the ADVT series.

But as long as you're happy that's all that matters. Should have enough fx/presets to keep you busy for a while

Ya, up in canada $130-$140 is the cheapest for a vypyr 15, and then 14% tax on that, so $180 for this seemed good. It's loud too when you crank up the power drain.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3