OK, I think its time I start practicing with a metronome...Should I use the online metronome or just break down and buy one?
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Neither. Use your rock instinct to keep time.

Just kidding of course.
To be honest, a real metronome is useful as you can take it wherever you go. But if you don't need to take it wherever you go, then a freeware/online metronome will suffice.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
www.metronomeonline.com

Why bother wasting money on something that does exactly the same thing for free?
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Yep, my thoughts exactly!!! That is the one I was using last night. I am changing guitar teachers next week (giggity) and I have the feeling he is gonna insist that I use some sort of metronome. My current teacher hates Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and doesn't know ANY metal songs. My new teacher loves to teach all of that genre and hes in a band and writes his own music....
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
if you don't want a "real" one, then get a software one... search for a freeware one called Wierd Metronome. I use it, it allows tons of different beats (along side the standard tick), with different instruments of your choice (midi based). It's all I need for home practice.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Seeing as how "Wizard Metronome" is apparently freeware and downloadable, where exactly could one find it? I've been scouring the net for it for the better half of an hour, and no luck. It might be a good idea to put it up since you've recommended it.
It's personal opinion of course, but I'd definately buy one. They only run about 20 or 30 bucks. I hate the idea of having to practice in front of the computer. To me, there's guitar time, and there's computer time, and they're completely different frames of mind. I like to keep them separate and really focus on playing when that is what I am doing.
Quote by Birchall17
www.metronomeonline.com

Why bother wasting money on something that does exactly the same thing for free?

+1, I use it, and it works great.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
One thing I don't like about most online metronomes is all the bells and whistles attached to it, sometimes quite literally. I don't really care for the extra midi sounds and stuff, personally. Just give me a straight click and bpm up to about 240 and I'm good.
Quote by se012101
It's personal opinion of course, but I'd definately buy one. They only run about 20 or 30 bucks. I hate the idea of having to practice in front of the computer. To me, there's guitar time, and there's computer time, and they're completely different frames of mind. I like to keep them separate and really focus on playing when that is what I am doing.

When you learn via guitar pro 5.2, the only way to learn is in front of a pc. JFYI.

Not everyone is good enough to learn with just the metronome and songbook alone.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I use my drum machine as a metronome. It's called Hydrogen, and it's a free program and a pretty decent drum machine too.
Hey, this one's tons better than onlinemetronome: http://a.bestmetronome.com/
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
i have a clockwork one
if your gonna get one get a proper nice one, the recorded ones sounmd so not nice
Quote by Outside Octaves
When you learn via guitar pro 5.2, the only way to learn is in front of a pc. JFYI.

Not everyone is good enough to learn with just the metronome and songbook alone.

Well, like I said, it's a personal preference thing. To me, playing guitar is a lot like meditating and I love that about it. Clicking around on the computer breaks the meditation for me.

I agree guitar pro is a pretty awesome learning tool. It's just that I started playing quite a while before programs like that came out, so by the time it did I already knew how to read the rhythm from sheet music, and subdivide the beat, and all that.

I think if a person doesn't mind practicing in front of the computer, the best way to go is shell out the 30.00 for GP, and use the metronome that comes with it.
Quote by Outside Octaves
if you don't want a "real" one, then get a software one... search for a freeware one called Wierd Metronome. I use it, it allows tons of different beats (along side the standard tick), with different instruments of your choice (midi based). It's all I need for home practice.

Quote by d4man

+1. Ive tried many metronomes and weird metronome is definitely the best online IMO..