Im looking to buy some pickups..I have a Squier Strat with the factory pickups..Theres so many pickups you can buy im not sure whats best..Seymor Duncans seem to be popular..But i dont have a clue about pickups..For instance they can come in a set of 3 or you can get a bridge one or a neck one..So i assume you can just fit one if you wish...i kinda like the blues sound not the heavy blues..Is it worth getting 1 good pickup and fitting it to my Squier ? If yes can you give your opinion on which one ? What you guys suggest ?

Thanx in advance
to start off: does your guitar have 3 single coil pickups, or is it an HSS setup (a humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the neck, and single in the middle)?

you're right when you say you can just buy one seperately. sinle coils are usually sold individually, as well as in sets of 3. I'd recomend replacing all 3, but there's no problem with only changing one if that's what you want.

before we get into suggestions for what pickups you should look at, what amp do you have?
a good pickup played through a not so good amp will still sound not so good, so it might be best if you save up for a better amp before spending money on a new pickup (or pickups)

if you've already got a good amp, then what sort of price range are you looking at?
It has 3 single coil pickups..Amp is a Vox vt15...Style i like the clean bluesy sound i like the clapton sound...Cash wise not too expensive cos if im gunna mess it up i dont want it to cost too much around £50 £60...Its just a little confusing you have neck pickups Bridge pickups Humbuckers..The squier i have comes with the 3 custom single pickups they sound ok but i want to know how much a difference it would make if i say put a humbucker on it or a different neck pickup..I just want to change one pickup for now cos its a experiment.The question is which one? ...Thanx for feedback...
£50-60 (I assume you mean for the 3) really isn't going to get you much. Having said that, the pickups/electrics in Squiers - and any other guitar I've seen in that price range - are the worst park.

Have a look at www.axesrus.co.uk, they will probably have significant upgrades to the stock pickups although their stock changes quite a bit.

People also speak highly of the pickups from here for the money

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

Bear in mind, that if you spend £60 there, you will probably have to pay import duty/VAT when they come into the UK.
Quote by mark_wuk
£50-60 (I assume you mean for the 3) really isn't going to get you much. Having said that, the pickups/electrics in Squiers - and any other guitar I've seen in that price range - are the worst park.

Have a look at www.axesrus.co.uk, they will probably have significant upgrades to the stock pickups although their stock changes quite a bit.

People also speak highly of the pickups from here for the money

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

Bear in mind, that if you spend £60 there, you will probably have to pay import duty/VAT when they come into the UK.

Nahhhh not 3 i was thinking of just getting one for now..You can get one for around that price Just not sure which one..I.ll look at them sites Cheers...Another question may sound stupid here..But are certain pickups made for certain makes of guitars ? Example can you put a tele pickup on a strat ? or a gibson humbucker on a start ? Silly question i know...
Last edited by willy2009 at Nov 6, 2009,
you can put an humbucker in a strat if it has space for it beneath the pickguard. You will also need a new pickguard (assuming you have the 3 SC one).

For a clapton sound check the Fender Lace Sensor. It' in his signature guitar and axerus sell them for that price. 100 something pounds for the 3.
Quote by Wiintruder
you can put an humbucker in a strat if it has space for it beneath the pickguard. You will also need a new pickguard (assuming you have the 3 SC one).

Not if you use a saw, and a pickup ring. Looks quite nice actually, matches the bridge. Pup rings are pretty cheap, and easy to install.

I don't know what to reccomend for pickups... I'm a complete N00B, as some would call it at pickups.
..I was watching my death.
Thanx for the info guys...I may invest in some of those Fender Lace Sensor having googled them they seem to be ok...Now to learn how to replace them lol it dont seem too hard..
Thanx
Don't forget IronGear. They come at a great price in the UK.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by willy2009
Thanx for the info guys...I may invest in some of those Fender Lace Sensor having googled them they seem to be ok...Now to learn how to replace them lol it dont seem too hard..
Thanx

Not hard, but practice outside the guitar before moving in