I know the main way of Solo'ing is to just navigate around a scale,
So I know I need to get learning scales.

But what I don't understand is how to find out what key a particular song is in?
Take Supermassive Black Hole by Muse for instance. Its got a technically shitty solo just basically heaps of effects. Not saying its a bad solo, But for me just using a fuzz pedal I can't do the same. So improvise over it. But I don't know what key its in so I don't know what scale to use.

I know this is beginner stuff, But I don't have lessons any more. A mate said that you just take the first note played in the song and thats the scale you use. Is this right?
I didn't quite believe him but for all I know it could be.

Cheers
i think its in e :}
"I'm just looking for an angel with a broken wing"
-Jimmy Page

CAPTAIN OF PITTOWN AIRFORCE BASE

Quote by sglover34479
Okay ou are the official Airforce captain. Employ whoever the hell you want just check em in check with often rapings.

Quote by brownbread
i think its in e :}

xDD
I wasn't asking for just that song.
Is there a way to find out what key a song is in?
Or do you just have to guess?
Read the music theory FAQ in the Musician Talk forum, the proper place for this kind of discussion.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Is there a way to find out what key a song is in? Or do you just have to guess?

If you train your ears well enough you'll just know
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
well i think for noww since your just learning this stuff you should follow your friends advice cause its an open e he hits at the begining then just works up the scale with power chords :}
buttt eventualy you wont need to your ear will be trained to just know where to play its a handy tool :}
"I'm just looking for an angel with a broken wing"
-Jimmy Page

CAPTAIN OF PITTOWN AIRFORCE BASE

Quote by sglover34479
Okay ou are the official Airforce captain. Employ whoever the hell you want just check em in check with often rapings.

If you have a tab, just write down every (power)chord that you can find in the song. Then look at the solos and see which notes are used. If you write them down, at least you can go from there.
For the key, look at the first and last chord. I dont want to get flames, so I just say it could be possible that the last chord is I or VI
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
What I did was just took the pentatonic, which I learned ages ago but never really used, and soloed with that, and sometimes during the song use different notes, or use the same notes played in different places so you can slide and bend and pulloff and stuff. To find what key a song's in, you need to work out (or look up) what the first note or chord is, and that's the key it's in, predominantly. Sometimes, during a song, what key you should play in changes, for example in the chorus of a song, the first chord of that section could be Fm, so you'd solo in Fm, because it would sound generally better, although if you wanted to, you could solo in the original chord's key and it would still sound alright. You'll know where a song's going when you get there, if you know the chords throughout the song, so just hammeron and pulloff and bend accordingly - you'll know what to do. Just go with it, but use the pentatonic as like your base for the solo, but you aren't limited to that little box. Hope that kind of makes sense, and is slightly helpful