Poll: Would you pay for Hulu?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you pay for Hulu?
Absolutely not. And I have cable TV.
43 70%
Absolutely not. And I don't have cable TV.
12 20%
Yes, even with ads.
0 0%
Yes, only if they don't have anymore ads.
3 5%
Depends on the fee.
3 5%
Voters: 61.
Page 1 of 2
So there's some certainty that Hulu claims that its ad revenue isn't enough to keep the site going and will start switching to a subscriptions model next year. If you use Hulu a lot like I do, what are your thoughts on this?

I'm very on-the-fence about the issue. I appreciate the service Hulu provides, which I've completely replaced for cable TV, but it would be downright unreasonable if they start charging me AND I still had to stomach through ads.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Can't use hulu in Canada = me no care.

also: use torrents to watch tv
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
THE way that most normal people watch programming on the internet involves them becoming PIRATES, in order to keep the authorities at BAY.
I've never used it much. But whatever, if they start charging for it I (and a lot of other people, probably) would stop using it. It's not worth paying for, IMO.
Quote by ACG
Can't use hulu in Canada = me no care.

also: use torrents to watch tv

But torrents have its disadvantages. They can take a very long time to download, they take up a lot of hard drive space, the selection and quality isn't always good, and it's confined to your local computer.

The beauty of Hulu is that you can watch it anywhere without much effort.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Can't use it in Ireland.
Do they really expect people to pay for it, there are hundreds of places to stream/torrent episodes of pretty much every show ever free and without ads.
I've never had trouble finding somewhere to stream video online.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I only use it to watch shows that I missed. Don't know if I'd pay for it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by nalyd
I've never used it much. But whatever, if they start charging for it I (and a lot of other people, probably) would stop using it. It's not worth paying for, IMO.

But I wonder if people who feel that it's not worth paying for are still paying for cable TV. I'd feel ripped off if I still had to watch ads on Hulu even with a subscription. But all of this is still nothing compared to TV, which you're paying a higher fee, with 75% of that fee or more for programs you'd never have interest in watching and much longer ads.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Can't use it in Ireland.
Do they really expect people to pay for it, there are hundreds of places to stream/torrent episodes of pretty much every show ever free and without ads.
I've never had trouble finding somewhere to stream video online.

When I tried doing that, many results tend to be dead links, bad quality, or hosted in Asia where the connection drops frequently.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
But torrents have its disadvantages. They can take a very long time to download, they take up a lot of hard drive space, the selection and quality isn't always good, and it's confined to your local computer.

I own a device that can store files and a gaming console. I have all need to watch films on my television in just a few minutes. Also, just go to warez-bb if you really want it fast.
Quote by Xiaoxi
But I wonder if people who feel that it's not worth paying for are still paying for cable TV. I'd feel ripped off if I still had to watch ads on Hulu even with a subscription. But all of this is still nothing compared to TV, which you're paying a higher fee, with 75% of that fee or more for programs you'd never have interest in watching and much longer ads.

Once I move out, I don't plan on paying for cable, to be honest. With the internet there are enough opportunities to watch the rare good show on TV.
Quote by thucydides
hulu is dumb anyways. buy it on itunes or torrent it.
Yeah man. Why use something that's readily available in good quality on the internet when you can spend money on it or download a poor quality version and possibly get a virus?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i wouldn't pay more than $10/month plus no ads and better availability on shows (one day period to get shows on the air).

if they can do live streaming over the web, i would pay a little bit more.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by element4433
Yeah man. Why use something that's readily available in good quality on the internet when you can spend money on it or download a poor quality version and possibly get a virus?

it doesn't take a genius to download a torrent without getting a virus, nor does it take a fortune to buy things off itunes.

and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there interstitials with most hulu videos?
Quote by thucydides
it doesn't take a genius to download a torrent without getting a virus, nor does it take a fortune to buy things off itunes.

and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there interstitials with most hulu videos?

In comparison with even monthly cable bills, it does take a fortune to buy shows and movies off of iTunes. The average TV episode costs $2.99 on iTunes. Provided that a viewer watches about 2-3 30 minute episodes per day, that's about $278 per month.

And I've already mentioned the disadvantages of torrents.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
that's shitty

Hulu was fantastic, even though I had to use a proxy to watch it because of where I live

it's a shame another great service is being watered down

I'd like to see proof that this isn't a money grab
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
all i gotta say is

**** that
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Carswell98
that's shitty

Hulu was fantastic, even though I had to use a proxy to watch it because of where I live

it's a shame another great service is being watered down

I'd like to see proof that this isn't a money grab

Well, it SEEMS like Hulu is claiming that ad revenues aren't enough to cover their costs, which may or may not be true. If that's the case, it's understandable. However, if they are just looking to gain more profit, they've just made their death wish.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by thucydides

But why buy it off Itunes if it's on Hulu for free (maybe not for long)? And it's much easier than looking for torrents or another stream online. Two ads during an episode is really no big deal.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Xiaoxi

When I tried doing that, many results tend to be dead links, bad quality, or hosted in Asia where the connection drops frequently.

I've not had that problem. You have to find the good sites really.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I've never used Hulu, because I'm outside the US, but all the official streaming sites in the UK (iPlayer, 4od, etc) are all free and have no ads as well. People are just going to use illegal services if the legal ones cost money

--$0.02
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I've never really had any of those problems with torrents, except for hard drive space I suppose, but that isn't a problem for me. I can watch what I download on my tv, that's good enough for me. I don't need to watch programs on my phone or anything. Selection and quality aren't a problem if you know what you're doing when it comes to torrents... in my experience anyway.

Anyways, whatever disadvantages there may be for other people, paying for a subscription is worse imo
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Last edited by ACG at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, it SEEMS like Hulu is claiming that ad revenues aren't enough to cover their costs, which may or may not be true. If that's the case, it's understandable. However, if they are just looking to gain more profit, they've just made their death wish.

yeah, that's what I mean, if they really are struggling, I'd pay a few bucks a month I guess, but I have a distrust of corporate decisions like this in general
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Yeah, saw that one coming.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
God no, I only use it occasionally if I missed an episode of something. Besides, it buffers really really slow for me
Quote by Xiaoxi
In comparison with even monthly cable bills, it does take a fortune to buy shows and movies off of iTunes. The average TV episode costs $2.99 on iTunes. Provided that a viewer watches about 2-3 30 minute episodes per day, that's about $278 per month.

I'm pretty sure that's not how itunes works.

Quote by Xiaoxi
And I've already mentioned the disadvantages of torrents.

please elaborate.

do you even use torrents that often?
Quote by thucydides
That is how iTunes work. Alternatively, you can buy the whole season, which is more economical than buying individual episodes, but will still put way more dent in your pocket than cable TV or other subscriptions.

please elaborate.

I already did. Read up. And I've probably downloaded more torrents in a day than you have in a month.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I love Hulu.

But I refuse to pay for it. How is a website that's original idea was for TV shows from NBC, Fox, Comedy Central and other majour networks hosted for free legitimately going to become a paysite?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi

In America. Maybe.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I wanna see sauce on this. They have to know they'd lose over half their users overnight.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by thucydides

please elaborate.

Why are you being so argumentative? It's common sense that watching something free online is easier than paying for it or spending time and hard drive space (plus potential risks) downloading it. If that's the way you prefer to do it, fine, but you don't need to try to convince everyone that your way is superior.

Especially when it's not.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Don't really care. I don't really watch tv anymore. I would only use Hulu to watch Lost and this last season of Hell's Kitchen.
Page 1 of 2