Poll: did the engineer let you use your gear?
Poll Options
View poll results: did the engineer let you use your gear?
yes
16 89%
no
2 11%
Voters: 18.
what gear was it and how did it sound? do you have clips? how did you like your tone comming out of the monitors etc etc?
also if the engineer didn't let you use your gear how did you feel about that?

mods: if this thread is in the wrong place, i am sorry
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Nov 5, 2009,
Most places will let you use your own gear. I am in a band with an engineer and all our stuff is set up in the studio so obviously I got to use all my gear. If you click the link in my sig itll take you to my band page where you can hear how it sounded before we mastered the tracks.
Very very very common hahaha part of the studio magic lol. we do this thing called re-amping where you record the singal from the guitar going direct in, but monitor with the actuall amp so they think its mic'd up which it is and recording (which it is) but when their gear is crap after they leave you run the guitar signal that you tracked into a reverse di box into your gear. and get a sick tone etc.

engineers are evil people
Quote by CatharsisStudio
Very very very common hahaha part of the studio magic lol. we do this thing called re-amping where you record the singal from the guitar going direct in, but monitor with the actuall amp so they think its mic'd up which it is and recording (which it is) but when their gear is crap after they leave you run the guitar signal that you tracked into a reverse di box into your gear. and get a sick tone etc.

i would honestly be able to tell whether they actually recorded my amp or not. im suprised most people can't...
Hmm... I dont know, I think I would be pretty upset if someone changed my tone from what it sounds like. I like my tone on the record, not a digital representation, which may sound fine, but its still not what you are used to.
Quote by CatharsisStudio

You do this to your customers?
Quote by mingthemack
You do this to your customers?

A massive THIS.

You're an engineer, not a producer, don't fuck your paying customers around like that.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
A massive THIS.

You're an engineer, not a producer, don't fuck your paying customers around like that.

usually they are so blown away by their amp that when i tell em its not theirs they don't care

but if they have a problem i can change it lol

and i am a producer haha
That just seems really underhanded to me.

If I'd spent a lot of money, time, and thought shaping my tone into what I want it to be, I'd be pretty angry if anyone, even an engineer or a producer, changed it drastically. If my tone sounds the way I want it to, that's all that matters.
Last edited by Led Dirigible at Nov 5, 2009,
imagine this, an ego as **** guitarist brings in his spider hd 3 and demands you mic it. its gonna kill the mix. straight up murder it. so you'd re-amp with other gear and make the cd just sound epic.

Edit: also i mean if the tone is good i won't have to re-amp it through other gear. i just re-amp it through theres i was just wanting to see how many people who have recorded here actually had their rig make it into the cd
Last edited by CatharsisStudio at Nov 5, 2009,
The only time I recorded in a stuido I simply ran all my pedals into the Plexi that was at the studio, and we recorded some of the heavier parts with a VHT that was kicking around. Although as nice as the guitar parts turned out we had to scrap most of the recordings because of how bad the vocals were

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I know what you mean. The studio gave us all the protools files for when our new vocalist learns the material, but we can't get everybody together in the studio for another few months. We'll probably just start from scratch

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by CatharsisStudio
!!!! i wish i could re-amp vocalist LOL

Every singer I've ever had turns into a pile of shit when we record. That would be awesome.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by CatharsisStudio
imagine this, an ego as **** guitarist brings in his spider hd 3 and demands you mic it. its gonna kill the mix. straight up murder it. so you'd re-amp with other gear and make the cd just sound epic.

What makes his ego less big than yours?
as for you "how does it sound in the monitors" question, a good engineer should make it sound in the monitors exactly like it does in the room (that's his job...)

if you're using a crappy amp, it's common for them to DI it and record it clean along with the amped signal so they can re-amp it if they need. of course, a guy who makes a living out of making recorded sounds sound really good probably has a few tricks up his sleeve that you dont, and a lot times you'll like his tone over yours. but it is YOUR money, so generally you get the final say in what is used and what is kept.
You can re-record the vocals with someone else
Last edited by sergiu at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by CatharsisStudio

Edit: also i mean if the tone is good i won't have to re-amp it through other gear. i just re-amp it through theres i was just wanting to see how many people who have recorded here actually had their rig make it into the cd

Oh, I see. I was thinking you were some megalomanical engineer hellbent on having the sound your way all the time. Thanks for clearing that up.
I wish I had enough good gear to be sad about engineers not using it....... Having said that, I've never been in a studio. Home recording FTW!
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
our sound engineer was quite nice about it really
and let us have our own say
ofcourse he suggested their own gear but it wasnt working for me
so i suggested our own and he agreed it sounded better

fair enough if they do it aswell just to show you an alternative but i'd have the separate tracks in the mix and just mute each one and let them decide
that seems more honest

tbf aslong its reversible and it was my final say i'd not really care
although im quite impressed how sound engineers are willing to put extra effort in to make it sound better
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Usually about half and half my gear and the studio's.

I'll even occasionally use their guitars.

It's choice stuff, though, so if it was a tiny studio with zilch in gear, I wouldn't.

And honestly, the engineer is most likely going to be right about the sound.
DI then re-amping ftw, even if it's just back through your own gear.

Who wouldn't want the option of twiddling the knobs while your solo plays back?
When I recorded at the last studio, we DI'd my tracks and the bassist's tracks. Our singer/guitarist just had his rig mic'd up. I actually used the DI tracks through a rackmount POD and made a rig that sounded completely different than mine and used it low in the mix and used my rig to be the main sound, while the DI signal filled out the sound completely. I don't care what people say about Line 6, in the studio those things are fantastic.
It makes perfect sense to keep the DI. What if they played the track perfectly but you want to try different mic settings? What if you want to add some room mic to the track? What if they put the mic to close to the cone? What if a lot of stuff.

Besides it's not like the engineer has ownership over the recording: you can always make them change it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by JayLacelle
i would honestly be able to tell whether they actually recorded my amp or not. im suprised most people can't...

A lot of people can't tell a lot of things actually. I've heard of recording engineers recording entire parts over and the band not noticing.
I have a huge fear if rays.
The producer/engineer that we used shouldn't have let us use our gear (we went recording with MG's I couldn't afford to change it.) So the producer did what he could, but it doesn't sound like us and the amount of reverb on there is just bordering on stupid.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

My last studio session I used my bass and my Hartke DI EQ box. Sounded pretty awesome, I could of taken my stack, but this was much lighter... and I hate having live bass in a room with drums.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ive never recorded in a studio, but i have an old room mate who did. they let them use their own gear, and probably didnt really have much else on hand (small studio in a school). when recording myself at home, well i havent really re-amped anything yet, but i do DI a lot of tracks with the plan of re-amping later. just never really get around to it. i agree that it can sound a lot better if done right, mostly because you can mess with things and get it recorded with exactly the right settings or gear.

as for doing it to a band without telling them, well i wouldnt like that if it happened to me. sure i might not notice right away, but i might eventually. and even if i didnt, well i guess id never know so i couldnt be unhappy. it sounds like most people tell the recorded musicians what they are doing, and as long as they are ok with it i think its probably a good idea.
Quote by CatharsisStudio

Ahhhh, that explains it all
I was worried you were quite a control freak, for a while
Either that, or you were recording shit guitarists... And, I guess it's the last one.

I've recorded a demo in a studio, and used my own gear. Two of the songs are on my profile/all in the sig link.
Quote by SimplyBen
The producer/engineer that we used shouldn't have let us use our gear (we went recording with MG's I couldn't afford to change it.) So the producer did what he could, but it doesn't sound like us and the amount of reverb on there is just bordering on stupid.

LMAO haha if i was producing for that i would have died laughing .... recording with MGs is pathetic at home itself but in the studio ......
Quote by mingthemack
A studio not letting you use your own gear? I've not heard of it. Is that common?
Rare as hens teeth.

Most studios have a nice but limited selection of equipment. Some have a few keyboards, but there's so much variety available, don't expect a studio to have a wide selection there. Some won't have any at all. Like your guitar, it's considered too personal. You'll be allowed to use any of their amps, their drumkit (usually a choice of 2~4 snare drums), or bring your own gear. They know what works best for a lot of applications, so listen to their advice. But you're always free to use your own gear, even bring your own mics for certain applications. A good recordist should be able to capture your unique way of expressing yourself tonally. He won't be so locked into his own little routine that he will ignore your needs. He'll work with you to accomplish your goals. But he won't hesitate to tell you when he can see a better way for you to accomplish them.

You'll learn a ton from your engineer. But he'll also learn at least a little something from working with you. Regardless of how long an engineer has been in the business, he can always learn something new from each and every new customer. Any engineer who misses that opportunity is a fool.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by CatharsisStudio

DOOOOOD!!!

you're handing out trade secrets like it's candy on halloween!

SHHhhhh!
Our engineer even asked me if we could later on work out a deal to where he rents out my equipment.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.