When playing a lick like:

-------------------------
------------10T12-----
---------9--------------
----7-------------------

{from Tap Thang - Martone}

I'm using this to work on my tapping and hammer-on techniques, but I've found an issue.

Whenever I hammer-on and then lift off to move to another string, I get open-string noise every time. And I know the difference between a lift-off and a pull-off (a pull off actually purposly catches the string on the way off).

Is there a specific part of lifting straight off that I'm missing here, or what?

Edit:

Me attempting to do this lick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtvWLmmPSLw

Check out my technique, posture, and the action of my guitar... it's high no?

Nice looking guitar body though no?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Nov 5, 2009,
Are you muting the strings that you -don't- want to ring out with, say, the palm of your picking hand, or any of the other usual ways? That might have something to do with it, I'd say. Just the slightest bit of provocation is going to make a string ring out when you don't want it to.
Last edited by Infiniti at Nov 5, 2009,
10 tap 12th fret I am assuming

TS - your lick doesn't really look like a legato lick though....it looks more like a min sweep with a tap at the end.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Indeed that is 11 tap 12, and I'm Hammering each of the other notes.

My problem here is that I don't understand how to mute the strings, when there aren't any other fingers or hands available for muting, seeing that the index is used for the 7, ring for the 9, and pinky for the 11, and the other hand's index for the tapped 12... which yes leaves the ring finger of the left hand for muting, but that's not really phesable... (sp? lol). So this is how I arrived at where I'm at now with this issue.

So... well, um... anything wrong here?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Don't lift off all the way, deaden it first. Or have one of the left hand fingers there to mute.
Btw videos always help to see what you're having trouble with.

Quote by Outside Octaves
phesable... (sp? lol)

feasible
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 5, 2009,
well, to be honest, I don't have a video camera. I'll see if I can get a cam from a friend... but that might not happen, more on this latter.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by nev474
That's a pretty useless tap if you ask me.

Wow, apparently someone is a jackass....

Anyways: I am deadening it first, but when I take the finger off, it still sounds some noise... I wonder if it's just my pickups/amp combo is just too sensitive or what? lmao probably not as it's the stock parts that come with my ESP-LTD H-100FM.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Do you use your right hand at all for muting? I tend to use the palm/thumb for muting the lower strings, and my ring/pinky fingers for muting higher strings. That might help, since it sounds like you're not using your right hand to mute at all.
the right hand isn't able to be used for muting as it's used for tapping in this instance (for the ... (n)th time unless you can tell me how it's possible, when I want to work this up to a fast speed, around 120-150bpm.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I don't know about you, but I'm generally still able to be able to mute and tap at the same time. Generally my hand rests on the fretboard when I do such, much as if I was picking. The upper part of my tapping hand would be muting the lower strings in this case(the ones I -wouldn't- be tapping with the left hand), and generally how I tap with my left hand allows me to mute one or two higher strings with one finger - failing that I generally get my right hand fingers into it, much like I normally do when picking. It's a matter of adapting the same right-hand muting technique that you use when picking, to tapping, though it takes a while.

Of course, this is just how I do it, I can imagine others will have better ideas.
Last edited by Infiniti at Nov 5, 2009,
um... that's going to take a few for me to figure out what you just said Infiniti... lol. (long day).............

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
the right hand isn't able to be used for muting as it's used for tapping in this instance (for the ... (n)th time unless you can tell me how it's possible, when I want to work this up to a fast speed, around 120-150bpm.

go to 4:38 in this video and watch/listen to Romeo about right hand muting while tapping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHgg3Eq63JA
Quote by Outside Octaves
I am deadening it first, but when I take the finger off, it still sounds some noise

Is there a harmonic that sounds when you try to deaden it? If so, you must deaden it at multiple points in the string. Try deadening it when you take your right hand finger off and also somehow with the left hand.
are you muting all the higher strings with your left hand? basically let you fingers relax so that they touch the strings between the string you're fretting and the base of your hand. it's good practice to let you fingers relax and mute out strings that you're not playing (except of course when that would mute out strings that you want to ring out)

when muting the lower strings that your fingers aren't touching (like the E or A) then use the palm of your right hand (yes it's possible when tapping) and maybe use your thumb to mute the E string

check out the youtube vid fixationdarknes posted.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by nev474
That's a pretty useless tap if you ask me.

I have to agree. I'd just do

e|----------
B|----------
G|--------7-
D|-----10---
A|---9------
E|-7--------

But It all depends on what is being played after that.

If you decide to tap it, just mute the E, A, and D strings with the meaty part of your thumb, where your thumb connects to your hand.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Outside Octaves
Wow, apparently someone is a jackass....

Anyways: I am deadening it first, but when I take the finger off, it still sounds some noise... I wonder if it's just my pickups/amp combo is just too sensitive or what? lmao probably not as it's the stock parts that come with my ESP-LTD H-100FM.

He's not a jackass, he's just stating his opinion. It's my opinion, too...If I used that lick, I'd just use my pinky and hammer-on...
Well, I mean... I'm trying to do this specific lick. It's part of a piece. Not something I created myself or something. Tap Thang by Martone.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by tenfold
Don't lift off all the way, deaden it first. Or have one of the left hand fingers there to mute.
Btw videos always help to see what you're having trouble with.

feasible

The video is up. Check the start of the thread.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by The.new.guy
He's not a jackass, he's just stating his opinion. It's my opinion, too...If I used that lick, I'd just use my pinky and hammer-on...

He didn't ask how other people would play the lick though.

TS, a couple of things, your thumb should be more behind the middle finger, it looks as though it is behind your index finger; also try to keep your wrist a little straighter; your index finger is a little too bent, it should lay flatter so that you can mute higher strings with it; the taking your finger off the string motion should be much smaller, you don't want to take your finger way off the string, you just want to relax your fingers so that they dont push the string down onto the fret, then when you fret the next note take your finger off the string if you need to.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
guys, "tap thang" (unless Im sorely mistaken) is a tapping piece in the same vain as "midnight" (hence the tital: tap thang) it uses tapping completely throughtout the entire song, and both songs are played with a mute around the neck.

still, that shouldnt stop you learning how to mute and do multi-string tapping at the same time
I agree with Deep*Kick. When you move up a note+string, don't take the previous finger off the string completely. Just relax it so it stays on the string but not pressed down (that will mute it, except for the harmonic that might ring but it won't be much).
Also, I apologize for my previous advice, I didn't know it was all tapping and no picking.
yea, I was being a bit of a jerk myself there. But still, yea...

This whole not taking the finger off the string thing is soooo against what feels right, but I'll get going on getting that working today .

I don't see how I can get the posture any straighter with my wrist ... and my thumb is usually under the middle finger, or close enough. The problem is that getting my fingers over to the lower strings. And as far as the index being too bent, o.0 ... ? You're supposed to use the tip of your finger to fret with, not the pad, right? That advice seems to go against this.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
After trying the song myself, I think Martone actually taps both the 11 and 12 like this:

e|-----------
B|-----------
G|-----------
D|-----11-12-
A|---9-------
E|-7---------
       T  T

And he's probably using a string dampener so that would help with muting.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Outside Octave
This whole not taking the finger off the string thing is soooo against what feels right, but I'll get going on getting that working today.

This is the only other thing I'll say here, and it's an "in my opinion" thing, so take it as you will.

If it doesn't feel right, it's not right.

For instance, for however terribly I described how I do multi-string taps and whatnot, its little nuances are something I adapted a little to suit my own playing style. It's something that's kind of hard to do, since you're the only one who knows what feels right; it takes a while to work it out... at least it does for me. Basically, I'm of the opinion that: Does it not make extraneous noise, is it efficient, and is it something that the player can comfortably do with ease, even at high speeds? Then that's the right way. Each person is going to have a slightly different way they're going to do things.
Last edited by Infiniti at Nov 6, 2009,
Some things you're not used to just don't feel right.

Quote by Outside Octaves
You're supposed to use the tip of your finger to fret with, not the pad, right?

You can use the pad, it comes in handy if you're using the full length of the underneath of the index finger to mute the higher strings and the tip of the index to keep the low E muted. Try to have the index flat enough to mute those 3 strings, and keep the other fingers a little more arched. Just try a bunch of archings and see what works best and is most comfortable.
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 7, 2009,
Use the tips of your fretting fingers to lightly touch underneath the thicker string. Like after you have hit the B note on the 6th string, use your middle finger to fret the F# on the 5th string but also use the tip of the same finger to deaden the 6th string. Do this for all the notes and combine it with using the palm/fleshy part of your picking hand to get a clean result. Also helps not to totally lift off your fretting finger but to just deaden it after the note has been played. I try and use the tips of all 4 fingers on the fretting hand to mute to thicker strings as sometimes using the palm is too slow/inaccurate for fast shredding etc. I still use both though, as a double locking system haha.
Now, are you supposed to, when hammering on from "nowhere"... hammer on from a hight of say half an inch or so, or directly from the "muting position" that you guys are helping me with atm? Because, when I try to get it to sound out by hammering on from the "muting position" or "relaxed" position, I just get very little volume if any at all... but if I do it from about half an inch or more above, I can get it to sound off good enough.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Nov 7, 2009,
your fingers really should never be more than 1cm away from your strings. Half an inch is a little too much i think.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.