Just got my first tube amp but my cab hasn't arrived yet so just reading up on them, and the standby switch is just throwin me off a little. What is the correct order of hitting switches to power the thing on, and off. Thanks
Turn power switch from off to on...(the standy switch should still be in the off position)...let amp warm up...I usually give it a minute...then move the standby switch to the on position.

EDIT: don't turn your amp on without having it hooked to a cabinet though
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 5, 2009,
You only need to throw the standby switch to put it into standby. To turn it on, just throw the power switch. Simple as that.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by eyebanez333
Turn power switch from off to on...(the standy switch should still be in the off position)...let amp warm up...I usually give it a minute...then move the standby switch to the on position.

EDIT: don't turn your amp on without having it hooked to a cabinet though
+1

It is VERY important you do not turn on your amp without a load (speaker cabinet) connected. Some amps have a "fake load" that simulates a speaker so you can connect it to a PA without damage to the amp. I believe I'm right there, correct if I'm not.
power switch to "on" first, leave standby in the "standby" position for 30-60 seconds to let the tubes warm up without a load before playing. once the tubes have been warmed up, then switch the standby to "on", or whatever. Not warming up the tubes won't necessarily hurt your amp, but it will reduce the life span of the tubes.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
"On" and "off" can be confusing, since "standby on" means the amp won't make sound, but "power on" means the amp is on.

So, here's how I usually explain it:
When turning on, both switches should be "down." Turn the power to up, wait a minute or two, then flip the standby switch to up.

When turning the amp off, you don't really need to put it into standby, but some people like to in order to drain the filter caps a bit. It might be a good habit to get into, if for no other reason than the switches will be in the right position when you turn the amp on next time.
So, if you want to do that, put standby down, wait a minute, then turn power down.

Using the standby switch isn't as crucial as it's often made out to be, and in some amps (AC30) it can actually cause problems. However, it's a decent practice to get into and it's a bit easier on your tubes, so you might as well do it. The big thing to never ever do is turn the amp on without a speaker load. That means a cab or an attenuator/dummy load plugged into the speaker output. The line out/headphone jack/whatever else doesn't count.
^Agreed. I thought about adding that little bit about 'both up, or both down' into my post. I knew that some tube amps don't have standy by switches...but I didn't know that standby switches could cause problems...interesting.
Thanks guys and don't worry I'm waiting for the cab to turn it on xD. The only thing I'm still confused about is I thought standby meant the amp won't make sound but you said turn it on after tubes are warmed up. I just think I'm getting confused a bit...:P
Quote by archetype713
Thanks guys and don't worry I'm waiting for the cab to turn it on xD. The only thing I'm still confused about is I thought standby meant the amp won't make sound but you said turn it on after tubes are warmed up. I just think I'm getting confused a bit...:P

Yeah...it can be confusing...especially when trying to explain it in text Just remember what colin said, he explained it better than anybody else. You're not going to hurt anything if you do it wrong the first time either. So don't stress about it

Yeah, that's what I was trying to help with using the up/down designations, it's awfully confusing if you're not familiar with it.

Here's the idea:
"In standby" means the amp is on but the tubes are only receiving heater voltage, so there will be no sound. That's the "down" position on the switch.

It might help to think of it this way-
Some amps have the switches labeled Power off/on and then Standby/Play.
Alternatively, you can think of the power switch as the AC power switch, and the standby as the DC power switch- you need both on to play the amp, but you can turn DC off to conserve tube life.

Sorry if that made things more confusing, you'll figure it out quickly once you get the amp.