Hi,
I was asking myself what kind of guitar amp tool's guitarist used to record the 10.000days album.
I thought it might be a really tight mesa amp. And certainly no engl or something similar. I also thought the mutes and bass respons was way to good for a vintage marshall kind of amp.
So it's just out of interest, does anyone know what amp he used?
I recall Adam Jones (Tool guitarist) splitting his signal between two amps, one was a Mesa something.. and the other was a Diezel something.

Sorry for being vague.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Diezel VH1 and mark III or something I think.

EDIT: VH4, and an old marshall bass amp it seems.
Last edited by anubiz03 at Nov 5, 2009,
i believe he uses diezel vh4
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
to be honest im really not sure. i just remember seeing something legit looking somewhere where adam jones says he uses vh4s
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
10,000 Days was a lot of different amps. The mainstays were his usual Blueface VH4 into a Recto cab, a newer Silverface into a Recto cab and his usual vintage Super Bass into an old Marshall cab for extra low end kick. He added other amps when he felt they were needed.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
His rig is a Marshall JVM I think, run side by side with a dual recumfrier and a VH4. All 3 blazing at one time. I spent way too long looking it up a little while back, so I know.
i read somewhere that a bogner amp was used for some of it, as well as the VH4, dual rectifier and the marshall super bass... there were prob others usedon certain tracks to
RIP Gooze

cats
Adams main rig includes a Diezel VH4, Diezel VH4 (blue face, which means it has a darker lower midrange), and a 1974 Marshall Superbass. Honestly the superbass is just any marshall from the 70's and 80's, or any marshall clone of today. The superbass is just a superlead with an extended lower midrange. The two diezels are run through Mesa's Oversized Rectifier Cabs, and the Marshall is through a 1960 cab definitely with some age on it though.

The 10,000 day's album included much of the above amps, but also some Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 5150s, Rivera Mick Thompson KR7, Bogner Ectasy, and numerous effects.

I've been hunting his tone for a while. Other than spending $4,600 on a Diezel you're gonna need to buy quite a few envelop filters, wahs, talkbox, overdrives, phasers, choruses, flangers, EQ's... and so on.

The best 1 amp, reasonably priced solution is the Line 6 Vetta. I have quite a few 100% dead on tones with that thing and there are enough effects onboard to get what you need to perfect it.

Other good choices are a Splawn Nitro, Mesa Mark III and IV (both great choices), 5150/6505, Framus Dragon, Mesa F-100/DC50, Bogner Alchemist, Line 6 HD-147, VHT Fryette Pitbulls/Deliverance, Peavey Vypyr (60 and 120), and other high lower and upper mid amps.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
Adams main rig includes a Diezel VH4, Diezel VH4 (blue face, which means it has a darker lower midrange), and a 1974 Marshall Superbass. Honestly the superbass is just any marshall from the 70's and 80's, or any marshall clone of today. The superbass is just a superlead with an extended lower midrange. The two diezels are run through Mesa's Oversized Rectifier Cabs, and the Marshall is through a 1960 cab definitely with some age on it though.

The 10,000 day's album included much of the above amps, but also some Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 5150s, Rivera Mick Thompson KR7, Bogner Ectasy
This.
The Rivera was used more than any amp on 10,000 Days.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
This.
The Rivera was used more than any amp on 10,000 Days.

Not really, it just stands out more than most amps on the album. The Rivera is obviously used in the songs Jambi and The Pot.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If I remember correctly, he uses a bass amp, a diezel, and a mesa all at the same time. Tool also lies about their gear all the time, so we can't know.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack