Hey all.

Im getting annoyed with my sound i get. So far i have a Schecter omen 6 guitar which is factory standard, going to a boss GT-10 multi effects pedal, then to a marshall MG15dfx amp (as when i play i run through the house speakers so the prac amp is alright for now)

Basically what im after is a nice thick sound similar to Mark Tremonti's alterbridge sound. I get quite annoyed when i play above fret 12 on the high e string as the notes are not very full and have that annoying empty pitch to them, so im after something thick. and marks tones are right up the sound im after for the band. with the GT-10 i have alot of flexibility with the sounds i can use and mixing effects so if anybody can point my to a patch i can download thatd be great. Other than that, If anybody can give me pointers with my setup i.e pickup and amp etc thatd be awesome as im quite new to the qhole matching guitar to amp for the sound im after thing.

Apologies for the long winded question, all help is much appreciated.
You are playing through a small MG.... Tremonti's rig is built upon having multiple rectifier heads in tandem with other heads of which i cannot remember which... + a rack full of extremely expensive units.... its not easily done
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
^Sadly, this is true. In your case, saving up for a tube amp will vastly improve your tone. My little brother likes the Blackstar HT-5, and he gets a great crunch out of it, but a lot of people have different preferences.

Best advice I can give you: Go try a bunch of amps and choose one there. Try a bunch though, and try different styles so you can see how it'll hold up in the future.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
New amp, I'm sad to say, is your best bet.

As said before Tremonti uses multiple Mesa Rectifier tube heads and a bunch of rack gear.

That costs thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy.

The cheapest way to get a reasonably similar tone is through a good quality modeling amplifier (the Axe-FX or a Line 6 Vetta II).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the other amps he uses are a Bogner Uberschall & he uses a Fender blackface for the clean stuff....

get this dvd - he takes u thru' his whole rack....

Mark Tremonti - The Sound & The Story

You could do worse than buying a Prs Tremonti too as the guitar contributes to his tone... if your budget doesn't stretch to a USA you could always get the SE model. I got mine off ebay for £180!!!! Awesome guitar for the cash.

sb
cool, so amp upgrade is where to begin then. i found a vid on the tube, he uses dual rectifiers and alot of crazy stuff i can afford. hahaha.

was also just talking to a mate about this. would upgrading my pickups to marks signature pickups do wonders? or is this a bit of a dead end road?

thanks all for your input and suggestions so far.
Quote by supplebanana
the other amps he uses are a Bogner Uberschall & he uses a Fender blackface for the clean stuff....

get this dvd - he takes u thru' his whole rack....

Mark Tremonti - The Sound & The Story

sb

excellent DVD... highly recommended for both fans and general guitar/gear enthusiasts. something for everyone. i particularly dug troy stetina's section.

on topic, +1 for new amp. Mark uses a triple rec and an uberschall... not gonna pull that out of an MG.

also +1 for the tremoti SE with a pikup upgrade... nice little geetar. i usta own one and the sound was great. the only problem with it was a shoddy job with the binding, which would be a big deal if you dropped $2500-3000 or more on his custom signature, but for a $400 guitar that sounds and plays well, who really gives a shit?
awesome, cheers guys. Ill be down to the local store checking out some mesa rectifiers in the near future i guess. thanks alot for all the help.

slickerthnsleek? do you really think splashing out on the tremonti wah is worth it as i have the boss gt-10 pedal?
Last edited by HKSR33 at Nov 7, 2009,
The tremonti Se is a terrible guitar. In fact, the whole SE series is garbage. The necks are terrible, the pickups are mediocre, and the hardware is cheap chinese steel. They are terrible guitars....even for the money. In no way do I suggest getting one at all. You want tremonti's tone?

Bogner Uberschall + Boogie Triple Rectifier in stereo for rhythm, and just the triple rectifier for leads. A Fender Deluxe Reverb for the clean and some wah, chorus and delay and you should be good to go
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The tremonti Se is a terrible guitar. In fact, the whole SE series is garbage. The necks are terrible, the pickups are mediocre, and the hardware is cheap chinese steel. They are terrible guitars....even for the money. In no way do I suggest getting one at all. You want tremonti's tone?

Bogner Uberschall + Boogie Triple Rectifier in stereo for rhythm, and just the triple rectifier for leads. A Fender Deluxe Reverb for the clean and some wah, chorus and delay and you should be good to go

the necks are not terrible. they use the same "tremonti" cut that his custom models do. if you don't like them, say that. I like a gibson 50's neck over a wizard II, does that make the wizard II shit?

the pickups are pretty crap

pease explain to me and everyone else the difference between chinese steel and steel from anywhere else. oh, and they're not made in China, they're made in South Korea. might not seem like much of a difference, but it is.
Quote by GrisKy
the necks are not terrible. they use the same "tremonti" cut that his custom models do. if you don't like them, say that. I like a gibson 50's neck over a wizard II, does that make the wizard II shit?

pease explain to me and everyone else the difference between chinese steel and steel from anywhere else. oh, and they're not made in China, they're made in South Korea. might not seem like much of a difference, but it is.

+1

it's a great guitar depending on opinion. I think it's great except for pups, but the whole SE line lacks good pickups (I guess the soapbars are ok). Chinese steel shouldn't make a difference, I do believe. My amp is made in China, and I don't really worry about the quality of components. The Korean PRS factory is not to be frowned upon.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by GrisKy

Chinese steel is inconsistent in quality and of a cheaper grade than the USA made steel used on the REAL PRS models. Also, the reference to the neck was that it was unfinished, and uncomfortable and 9/10 people I know that HAVE played the whole line of SE's hate the necks because of those reasons. Also, it DOES matter that they are made in South Korea. Why? Because most brands that you do see made in South Korea are made ENTIRELY in south korea (Schecter etc) and not outsourced to some random factory that pays their workers terrible wages to put pieces of wood together and call them guitars. There were pics posted of a PRS SE guitar with the chrome peeling off of all the parts. They are terrible guitars and are a really dirty way of PRS making more money off of their name. This is not my opinion alone.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by HKSR33
awesome, cheers guys. Ill be down to the local store checking out some mesa rectifiers in the near future i guess. thanks alot for all the help.

slickerthnsleek? do you really think splashing out on the tremonti wah is worth it as i have the boss gt-10 pedal?

The Tremonti wah is infinitely better sounding than the wah on the GT10, IMO.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Chinese steel is inconsistent in quality and of a cheaper grade than the USA made steel used on the REAL PRS models. Also, the reference to the neck was that it was unfinished, and uncomfortable and 9/10 people I know that HAVE played the whole line of SE's hate the necks because of those reasons. Also, it DOES matter that they are made in South Korea. Why? Because most brands that you do see made in South Korea are made ENTIRELY in south korea (Schecter etc) and not outsourced to some random factory that pays their workers terrible wages to put pieces of wood together and call them guitars. There were pics posted of a PRS SE guitar with the chrome peeling off of all the parts. They are terrible guitars and are a really dirty way of PRS making more money off of their name. This is not my opinion alone.

you really need to look at it in th given context. of course it's not the quality you'll get out of, say, a custom 22. it's also about 1/5 of the price new.

as steel goes, the average tensile strength is 40,000 PSI, or 40K pounds per square inch. a set of .46-.10 strings tuned to standard on a 25.5" neck yeilds approximately 103.6lbs. of tension on a properly set guitar.

chrome will fade, as does the gold plating on my gibson's hardware. the steel will be fine.

If you really wanted to attack the components of a tremonti SE (besides the pickups... I think we're all in agreeance there), you might've suggested the lower quality woods used on the body. Of course, then you'd also have to aknowledge that Washburn and Dean use woods that could barely be considered a step up from plywood with a nice laminate top on their lower models.

the neck on the one I owned was finished... maybe that's a new thing. Although, I prefer an unfinished neck... gives it a nice smooth baseball bat feel.

If you diaprove of PRS's business practices, you're more than free to show so by refusing to buy their products, but you can't deny that the tremonti SE (with a pickup swap) is on par or better than most any other guitar in its price range.

Chinese steel is actually Australian steel. Exports make up a huge amount of our GDP

That's my useless factoid for the day
he uses a JM150 for practice on preset 76 for lead 77 for clean
says its pretty close to what he like
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!