I need some insight on how to re tune my bass. Right now I use heavy gauge strings and have my bass tuned to AEADG. I want to tune it to CGCFA#(maybe A). Will I need to get new strings to reduce the tension on the neck or will it be fine?

My other option is tuning to BCGCF.
sorry it doesnt really pertain to the question, but im curious as to know whyd you'd tune to A# and not A - just caught my attention
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by htsktim91989
sorry it doesnt really pertain to the question, but im curious as to know whyd you'd tune to A# and not A - just caught my attention

I could tune it like a bass or tune it like a guitar.
You could get yourself a nice heavy set of strings and tune GCGCF. You can manage it pretty well with 45-110, and a 135 low B if it isn't necessary to have the higher string or whatever.

Otherwise, I would get a heavy six string set and string it with everything but the E string. That way you simply tune everything down a step as opposed to 1 1/2 steps up (except the low B, which obviously goes to C, which is only a half step up).
Lighter strings, definitely. Otherwise you'll ruin the strings you have now and probably mess up your neck (too much tension = bad for your neck, especially if it's a set neck. Bolt ons can be replaced, other necks can't).
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

i go C G C F A#
id recommend:
buy 4 thick strings meant for a four string bass, and either buy one very light G string and take it up to the A#, or buy a high C meant for a sixer and take it down to the A#.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You could get yourself a nice heavy set of strings and tune GCGCF.

This is what I do.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You could get yourself a nice heavy set of strings and tune GCGCF. You can manage it pretty well with 45-110, and a 135 low B if it isn't necessary to have the higher string or whatever.

Otherwise, I would get a heavy six string set and string it with everything but the E string. That way you simply tune everything down a step as opposed to 1 1/2 steps up (except the low B, which obviously goes to C, which is only a half step up).

That's what I have done in the past.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by TeeksBass
Acgcf

makes no sense
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by TorturedSoul666
Why don't you just up tune a 1/2 step? That's how I got my 5 set up.

I recommend this depending on what you actually have to play.
e.g. I play in 5 string standard while the guitarists in my band tune to drop B, however playing Lanb of God stuff in D standard (or anything but drop d tbh) is unnecessarily difficult.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
makes no sense

It does make sense. A-C-G-C-F.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
It does make sense. A-C-G-C-F.

But would tune that to a Low instead of a Low G, I'd tune it to an A if I was in drop D.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
But would tune that to a Low instead of a Low G, I'd tune it to an A if I was in drop D.

Yeah, most people would but depending on the string gauge I'd tune it to a low G or a low A.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Go with G if your bass can pull it off to at least try and keep a 4th between the lowest two strings. Helps by using the same economy of motion idea which could help your playing.

If you know your going to be playing with the higher tuning option go for that though, just depends on what you wanna do. Warwick makes a great .135 gauge set that you can use for the G if you so choose, many other string companies do too but not in a set which is annoying , anything of a higher gauge tends to cost far too much for me to justify it.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I took another look at the material and the low c was rarely used for anything but chugging. So I tuned CDGCF that way I can use the low c for chugging and the rest for the riffs. Hopefully this won't harm my neck.

Thanks guys.
i have high-guage strings, my band plays in drop c, i tune GCGCF - though i rarely play on the low G as my 410 cant handle those super low notes...
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by matt-attack
I took another look at the material and the low c was rarely used for anything but chugging. So I tuned CDGCF that way I can use the low c for chugging and the rest for the riffs. Hopefully this won't harm my neck.

Thanks guys.

Umm, it shouldnt if you have a pretty light "B" string on the bass.

However, when i read that i had to look over the tuning a few times . I find it awkward, good luck i dont know how well showing riffs youve written to a guitarist would play out but go for it .
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
in one of my bands i tune C#C#G#C#F# so you could tune to CCGCF, i find having the two bottom strings the same gives it a cool sound when slapping and such.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus