My friend wants a new [tube] amp, and doesn't know what to get, and i'm not sure what to recommend.
He currently has a Fender American Tele and an Ibanez RG350 (ignore the RG), and uses a Line 6 Spider for practice, but we are starting gigging often now so requires a tube amp of reasonable quality. Doesn't necessarily have to be a head + cab or combo.

We play Alternative, slightly Indie rock, ranging from Bloc Party to Kings of Leon to Muse and sometimes requires a little bit of gain too. Something with a good crunch sound (a slightly more British than modern american one). He was considering an AC-50 of some kind, or a Fender DeVille.
For those who like it like this:
We are from England and he has a budget of around £450 - £650 (extend to about 850 if a cab is required)
Thanks
does he need cleans at volume? i'm tempted to recommend the valvepower 18 watt marshall clone i have (because you said he needs a more british tone), but it doesn't have much in the way of headroom, and it doesn't have multiple channels or anything like that if he wants bells and whistles. The tone is awesome, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does he need cleans at volume? i'm tempted to recommend the valvepower 18 watt marshall clone i have (because you said he needs a more british tone), but it doesn't have much in the way of headroom, and it doesn't have multiple channels or anything like that if he wants bells and whistles. The tone is awesome, though.

Well, its mostly a mild crunch, i.e. Muse stuff, also possible the flexibility to move up to some Hard Rock, and down to some simpler crunch i.e. Kings of Leon and Bloc Party.
The clean channel will be used now and then, but is not as important as long as its reasonable, no doubt that will be the case anyway. Distortion-wise, it should be possible but again not expecting any kind of beauty there (not like an ENGL etc)...
I was thinking something like a Bugera 1990? Not sure what they're like, but from what iv'e heard...
Quote by forsaknazrael
A great amp to check out might be the Laney VC30. Good cleans, a fair amount of gain, British voicing. Sounds like a Vox with more of a kick.

+1 to the laney.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
used tsl or JCM?

i've seen orange rockerverb 50s go for abotu £650 which would definately nail the alternative and indie side of it
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Peavey Classic 30 or Windsor would be nice, and those can be had for about $400 new.

Windsor is basically a marshall clone, and the Classic 30 is good for blues and cleans, but it can do rock as well.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
yeah, the laney vc30 would be a good call if he's expecting 2 channels etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey Classic 30 or 50 could be a decent choice, British voicing, excellent platform for pedals, and you can get them for very good value used in the UK.
Classic 30 is thin sounding in a gig situation.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!