Hey, well months after buying a tube amp (although needs servicing) I am now ready to upgrade my pickups.

I currently run a MIM Fender Strat through a Laney AOR. The pickups are SSS.

I like bands such as yngwie, joe satriani, steve vai, motley crue, hendrix, wolfmother, guns n roses, iggy pop, creedence, red hot chilli peppers etc etc.

I like the look of the dimarzio 'chopper' but dont know where I would put it.

It doesnt have to be that, it can be any pickup to suit my style.

I don't really like the bridge pickup I have on my strat as it is very thin and scratchy sounding.

Any thoughts? If I had the money, what would you suggest? I would like to know all 3 pickups and what you would recomend to replace them with.

Thank you very much, moom
Hendrix and Frusciante use(d) vintage voiced pups, so you could try the fender 57/62 pups, or Seymour Duncan antiquities or SSL-1s. I would get a set, because fender and seymour duncan are wound out-of-phase from each other, so in pos. 2 & 4 you wouldn't get a particularly typical strat tone, it would be alot thinner and more weedy.
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
bridge pup - dimarzio super distortion s
middle pup - dimarzio HS-3
neck pup - dimarzio YJM
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Debutante
Hendrix and Frusciante use(d) vintage voiced pups, so you could try the fender 57/62 pups, or Seymour Duncan antiquities or SSL-1s. I would get a set, because fender and seymour duncan are wound out-of-phase from each other, so in pos. 2 & 4 you wouldn't get a particularly typical strat tone, it would be alot thinner and more weedy.

If he thinks the pickups that are on there now are too thin then he won't want vintage style pickups.

TS maybe look into a hot rails for the bridge if you want something with more output.
Bare Knuckle Pickups - Apache set. They sound pretty damn to my ears. Quite a thick strat sound (IIRC) as well which will help for most of those kinda bands you mentioned since about 90% of them are humbuckers.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey