Page 1 of 5
Dont know if someone's made a thread on this already but...

At least seven people are dead and between 12 and 15 wounded in shootings at Fort Hood in Texas on Thursday, senior Pentagon official told CNN.

Apparently, our country has had another shooting, this time in an army base. What do you guys think?
in other news, innumerable amounts of other people were also shot today.

sucks for them, but this kinda stuff happens all the time :shrug
you brought a hooker to church?
damn
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by ghostnineone
in other news, innumerable amounts of other people were also shot today.

sucks for them, but this kinda stuff happens all the time :shrug

This
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Hmmm, I'll have to read about this later today.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
The news only cares because this happened at a military installation.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse

Exactly.

Nothing surprising or new quite honestly.

Four Year Strong Plays in D Standard. Not Drop D.
Quote by Ed Hunter

I just slapped the computer screen with my dick because of this thread.
A shooting that happened in a place filled with guns and people trained to use them...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
A shooting that happened in a place filled with guns and people trained to use them...

Ya rly. Where is your concealed carry on campus now?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
That's retarded. If this happened at a mall, school, church, parking lot, etc. it would be covered. 12 dead and over 30 wounded is always going to make the news.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
That's retarded. If this happened at a mall, school, church, parking lot, etc. it would be covered. 12 dead and over 30 wounded is always going to make the news.

The news only cares because it took place in a public place occupied by white people or the military.

Better?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse

Yeah of course, news isn't news. News is in the entertainment business. Ratings > News.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone (I didn't have some insane hate for) so it does suck but oh well. At least they got a shot at life unlike the so many more that die every day.
Quote by SteveHouse
The news only cares because it took place in a public place occupied by white people or the military.

Better?
I don't see why this type of news story has to bring out the douchiness in internet users. Over 31 people were shot, and the gunmen were soldiers. Not the time for teen angst.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I don't see why this type of news story has to bring out the douchiness in internet users. Over 31 people were shot, and the gunmen were soldiers. Not the time for teen angst.

Tell me, why do I, not in the military or anywhere near Fort Hood, need to know about this "news"?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by element4433

The gunmen were soldiers, you say?

Not surprised.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by SteveHouse
Tell me, why do I, not in the military or anywhere near Fort Hood, need to know about this "news"?
Why would you need to know about Columbine?

It's a news story. If it's big enough for the President to talk about then it's getting covered. Get the **** over it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Why would you need to know about Columbine?

It's a news story. If it's big enough for the President to talk about then it's getting covered. Get the **** over it.

Beats me.

Are you sure the President isn't talking about it because of all the coverage, rather than the other way around? Didn't answer my question though.

I really don't get why you're so worked up about this...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Beats me.

Are you sure the President isn't talking about it because of all the coverage, rather than the other way around? Didn't answer my question though.

I really don't get why you're so worked up about this...
You're coming into a thread about 12 people dying and 31 people injured and are being a total cunt. I'm not torn up about this story, but it's definitely horrible. Anytime 12 people die I'm not going to go into a thread about it, and spout out a bunch of insensitive bullshit.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
You're coming into a thread about 12 people dying and 31 people injured and are being a total cunt. I'm not torn up about this story, but it's definitely horrible. Anytime 12 people die I'm not going to go into a thread about it, and spout out a bunch of insensitive bullshit.

Some people just don't care. Don't worry about it man, no need to get upset
Quote by element4433

Because I don't think the story is national news, I don't care about the people who died?

After you explain why this should be news, explain that leap to me as well.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Oroborous
Some people just don't care. Don't worry about it man, no need to get upset
I'm not upset. If you don't care then you don't need to post about it, particularly when you're dealing with a mass murder.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

When I hear or read about shootings I always listen to Killswitch Engage - When darkness falls

I find it relevant somehow.
Quote by SteveHouse
Because I don't think the story is national news, I don't care about the people who died?

After you explain why this should be news, explain that leap to me as well.
A story about three soldiers shooting up a group of other soldiers shouldn't be national news???? Whatever d00d.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
A story about three soldiers shooting up a group of other soldiers shouldn't be national news???? Whatever d00d.

What effect does it have on anyone who isn't directly involved If the story was "soldiers with PTSD that the VA hospitals refused to treat commit mass murder" I'd be on your side, but as of now it's just giving mass media attention to a heinous act that almost always is partially contrived for mass media attention. It gives the killers exactly what they want and forces the families of the victims into the national spotlight while grieving. All for the sake of ratings and page views.

If you don't see why that might bother me, I'm done here.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by element4433

I'd like to think the mods of the pit keep an elegant panache.

Clearly not.
Quote by SteveHouse
What effect does it have on anyone who isn't directly involved If the story was "soldiers with PTSD that the VA hospitals refused to treat commit mass murder" I'd be on your side, but as of now it's just giving mass media attention to a heinous act that almost always is partially contrived for mass media attention. It gives the killers exactly what they want and forces the families of the victims into the national spotlight while grieving. All for the sake of ratings and page views.

If you don't see why that might bother me, I'm done here.
So basically you're saying the news should never be broadcast ever? A story about a band robbery in Orlando doesn't affect me at all, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered. If people want to know more about something it will be covered. Seems like a simple concept to grasp.
Quote by BrashPersona
I'd like to think the mods of the pit keep an elegant panache.

Clearly not.
Since when am I a pit mod? And since when can pit mods not behave like other pit users?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Nov 5, 2009,
I live in Oakland we had a murder rate of 127 last year 12 people dead isnt really shocking anymore. Still sad though.
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Give him a break, Brash, he's not a Pit mod (just a CC for that matter) and one of my favorite colored names.
Quote by element4433
So basically you're saying the news should never be broadcast ever? A story about a band robbery in Orlando doesn't affect me at all, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered. If people want to know more about something it will be covered. Seems like a simple concept to grasp.

And people will tune in to stories like that. People would also tune in to live, unedited coverage of nude PETA protests, but does that mean the news should send cameras their way every time? My point here, and the point of others in this thread as well, is that this happens somewhere in the country every day through gang violence, and no one gives two shits. But as soon as it takes place in a setting they might be familiar with (mall, park, school) or within the military, it's suddenly of national interest.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Give him a break, Brash, he's not a Pit mod (just a CC for that matter) and one of my favorite colored names.

And people will tune in to stories like that. People would also tune in to live, unedited coverage of nude PETA protests, but does that mean the news should send cameras their way every time? My point here, and the point of others in this thread as well, is that this happens somewhere in the country every day through gang violence, and no one gives two shits. But as soon as it takes place in a setting they might be familiar with (mall, park, school) or within the military, it's suddenly of national interest.

Any shooting that involves 12 deaths will get coverage. Kill enough people, and people get interested.
Quote by blackthought
Any shooting that involves 12 deaths will get coverage. Kill enough people, and people get interested.

Which is probably what they wanted. If this kind of thing never got coverage, I honestly believe it would happen less.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse

We agree on that completely, but that doesn't mean this shouldn't be covered at all. A story about a Grandma making the tastiest cupcakes in the world doesn't need to be covered, but this is an acceptable story. I do hate how the media handles news stories, and CNN is horrible right now.

BUT a thread like this isn't the place to argue the practices of the media, mainly because it's dealing with the death of soldiers.

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by SteveHouse
Which is probably what they wanted. If this kind of thing never got coverage, I honestly believe it would happen less.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, they would kill more people to gain attention since the media is ignoring them

Nah, I dunno
Quote by element4433

BUT a thread like this isn't the place to argue the practices of the media, mainly because it's dealing with the death of soldiers.

Well, I think that's for TS (or a Pit mod) to dictate, but I'm willing to be done with it if you are.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by element4433
I'm not upset. If you don't care then you don't need to post about it, particularly when you're dealing with a mass murder.

Twelve. People.

Counts as mass murder?

The reason I'm not getting worked up is because there are millions upon millions of other, much more horrendous things happening in the world that need much more attention than some wackjob killing a handful of people.

It's called perspective.
Last edited by archangels666 at Nov 5, 2009,
Page 1 of 5