Okay, so I have noticed that my frets constantly make a squeaking noise when I bend. Its kind of like a metal on metal(no anvil pun) sound. I also noticed that my frets are constantly being deposited with black material, which i believe could be part of the problem. I just changed my strings two weeks ago, and cleaned all the frets then. I also wash my hands before I play. Where is this black material deposited on the frets coming from, how do I prevent it, and is this the cause of my squeaking noise. Luckily, the squeak doesn't come through my amp, but it still drives me crazy when playing at low volumes and I wonder if it is getting in the way of my playing. Any clues.
P.S. It doesn't only happen with new strings, like the debris you get on your fingers, but persists even with month old strings.
Thanks
thats really weird...is your guitar old...does it need to be refretted.
one x_vox
What did you clean the frets with and what guitar is it?
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
cleaned the frets with a little alcohol. only had the guitar for about a year. can see where all the bending is rubbing into the frets. meant to add that part to the post. i was wondering if it is just that the frets are cheap. the guitar is an epi g-400.
Man I have this same problem it drives me nuts.

Its not the string touching the fret because if you lift the string and then bend its the same thing. Adjusting the action does nothing and neither does a set up, mine plays great except this. I've been thinking it may have been a dry fretboard but I'm not entirely sure I hope someone figures out what to do.

Edit: Not on my g-400 its on my douglas siv-45.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Nov 5, 2009,
I'm really not sure, cause you guitar's not a low quality one, so it's not down to just generally poor quality frets. This is really quite a bizzare problem.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Yep happens on acoustics a lot too. You can try sanding the frets LIGHTLY, not so that the frets actually get thinner but just to make them smooth. Apart from that I don't know, try raising the action so the strings don't brush the frets so much?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sounds like the metal got 'dry' - in other words, when you cleaned them with alcohol you got rid of any natural oils that had built up in them and now, with the particular strings you have, they squeak when they rub against each other. Actually is somewhat common with certain softer metals interacting with each other when they're not oiled. Maybe get some lemon oil - since it's safe for fretboards - and lightly wipe the frets, then wipe of excess.
lemon oil, huh? not sure where to get that, but am more than willing to give it a go. thanks. also sounds like the lemon acids would do a pretty good job of cleaning the frets too.
Lemon oil is actually used as a wood conditioner and should be applied to fretboards around once yearly to maintain the wood - unless it's a lacquered maple, those don't need it. Bare wood ones like it though. Look at your better hardware stores, usually near the other wood finishing products.. small bottle, usually $5.

I'll add too that it sounds like you have some fret wear too, so a redressing wouldn't hurt. I, however, have done bends on some really munched frets and never got squeaking, so I don't think that fret wear alone is where the squeaking is coming from. More likely that the particular alloy used in those frets is on the softer side, and in my experience it's the softer metals that can squeak when they've been stripped dry by a solvent like alcohol.
Last edited by Poster_Nutbag at Nov 5, 2009,
oh, now i know what you are talking about. def seen it before. its bare wood, so i should probably use some kind of conditioner. the only possible flaw with the dry fret theory is that it has been depositing material since i first got the guitar and it was brand new. however, i do think any kind of lubricant would extinguish this problem quite readily. my only worry is that a good bit of the oil will naturally get on the strings. not that I am really concerned about a five dollar set of strings, more the possible sound change than anything, and the viability of this being a long term remedy.
So I just put some lemon furniture polish that waxes and cleans wood metal etc. Got rid of the squeaking yay! There is still some but only a on a few frets that I've probably missed when cleaning, but the squeaking was there because of the dry metal, lubing it fixes it thanks a million poster_nutbag.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ