My one main concern right now with EZ Drummer is that my cymbals always seem to be overridden by the toms and the snare. I've tried messing with the mic settings, but that doesn't seem to want to work. In particular, any crash I have is NOT as sharp and crisp as I would expect from a real drum track AT ALL.

I've been working with a compressor a bit, but I think my problem lies within the EQ. I was wondering if anyone has some tips to bring out the crash a bit more.
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Theres a way (I use Sonar but im not even sure how to do it in Sonar) to send each individual piece (tom, snare, hat, bass drum etc) to its own midi channel in your interface. In that channel, you should be able to apply a separate EQ. What DAW are you using?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by HyperBoy2519
Theres a way (I use Sonar but im not even sure how to do it in Sonar) to send each individual piece (tom, snare, hat, bass drum etc) to its own midi channel in your interface. In that channel, you should be able to apply a separate EQ. What DAW are you using?

I'm currently using Reaper 3.06. I don't think the DAW matters though as long as you can map each piece to it's own track. Would make things a LOT easier for recording purposes!
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by nedthehead
I'm currently using Reaper 3.06. I don't think the DAW matters though as long as you can map each piece to it's own track. Would make things a LOT easier for recording purposes!

Yeah I know I was just curious. I wish I knew how to route the pieces to individual tracks! That would be your solution.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Lemme help you out a bit here now that I did some more research

Load up EZDrummer as a virtual instrument, then open the mixer and click "trk 1" under any specific virtual microphone. Under the dropdown menu that appears, go to the bottom and click multichannel, and every mic will be assigned to a specific channel in your DAW.

But the problem here lies that there is NO virtual mics on the cymbals. The closest we have is an overhead mic, so I have to be REALLY specific with the EQ's... boost the 5khz range on the overhead? I'm again lost from here LOL
Quote by sporkman7
I would just copy the midi parts for the cymbals onto a separate track in your DAW and load ezdrummer as the plugin, then boost the volume on that track. Your drum parts will be two separate things, but it's not a big deal. You could also adjust the velocity on the midi notes and raise the cymbals that way. I know that's super easy in Ableton Live (which I use) but idk about Reaper.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I would just copy the midi parts for the cymbals onto a separate track in your DAW and load ezdrummer as the plugin, then boost the volume on that track. Your drum parts will be two separate things, but it's not a big deal. You could also adjust the velocity on the midi notes and raise the cymbals that way. I know that's super easy in Ableton Live (which I use) but idk about Reaper.

This is what I generally do since it's a lot easier to adjust things that way. I like to use a combination of parallel and direct compression on my drum tracks, and I prefer to compress the entire kit as one for better cohesion, and that tends to cause pumping in the cymbals.

But I have a few rather idiosyncratic ideas about getting good results from programmed drums.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Looking at it, there's an "OVERHEAD" channel on the mixer. Perhaps this controls the crashes and rides?
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003