Hey,

I'm considering buying a new amp, but i'm reluctant to buy a Tube as I can't find one I like in my price range (about £550) but I do however like some Randall RG amps, and am trying to get hold of a Flextone. Anyway, I was wondering whether guitar modifications, such as new pups, pots etc will have enough effect to make them worth it. I was also wondering whether pedals really do that much on a SS, I dunno why but in my mind I can't imagine an EQ pedal actually working on an SS, lol. I'm sure it does but, is the effect as profound?

Any and all help welcomed.
doesn't really depends on whether the amp is SS or tube, it depends more on the quality of the amp
I have heard great awesome SS amps with pedals that sounded amazing (roland jc-120 sounds great with pedals) and a bad tube amp won't sound good either...
what amp do you have ? a SS amp with a pedal can sound good, a modeling amp with a pedal might not sound as good though
I don't have either at the moment, but i'm really looking forward to doing some work on my guitar, but I don't want it to go to waste on an unresponsive amp. So, would they be more profound on the Randall (plain SS), than the Flextone (Modelling)?
How can you not find a decent tube amp for £550?

What exactly do you play, because i'm 99% positive that you could find a tube amp that will suite you well in that price range.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Nov 5, 2009,
Well, I play a pretty decent mix. Every kind of Rock/Metal pretty much, though I tend to play the softer sides with a tad extra gain. I like a really nice crunch, along with a nice High gain lead tone. Thing is, my stores don't stock alot for me to try out. I thought about a Bugera 6262 w/ a Framus 212, which is great on paper but I can't try it first. Anyway, bands I like, and try to replicate:

-Enter Shikari
-Biffy Clyro
-Paramore
-AC/DC (Own an SG, has to be done)
-All Time Low
-Bring Me The Horizon
-Tool
-Porcupine Tree
-Fall Of Troy
-Funeral For a Friend

I think that'll do you.
i would, but i'm not very knowledgeable about either the prices in UK (i'm in canada) or these genres you said, my guess would be that a used JCM800 could do you greatly, but that's if it fits your budget.. knowing 550 pounds is almost 1k dollars, mmh... a vox ac15 could be cool too, but wouldn't be so heavy by itself, so you'd need a pedal for dirt. People tend to recommend peavey 5150 too, isn't the 6262 a clone of it ? don't quote me on that though
Quote by Darkflame
i would, but i'm not very knowledgeable about either the prices in UK (i'm in canada) or these genres you said, my guess would be that a used JCM800 could do you greatly, but that's if it fits your budget.. knowing 550 pounds is almost 1k dollars, mmh... a vox ac15 could be cool too, but wouldn't be so heavy by itself, so you'd need a pedal for dirt. People tend to recommend peavey 5150 too, isn't the 6262 a clone of it ? don't quote me on that though

You're right on all counts. I know a couple of the bands I listed use a JCM, but then, i'll need a cab, and it's out of my price range pretty much anyway. Do they do JCM combo's? I've never heard of one.

WILLEDIT: Also, I tried a Vox AC30 a week ago. Where the hell is the gain on that thing? I sure as hell couldn't get alot out of it.
Last edited by willT08 at Nov 5, 2009,
There's some JCM combos but they're still pretty expensive, I'm not sure if you would be able to find one for the same/less as the head. 5150 combos go for a good price over here, not sure about the UK though.
I have a huge fear if rays.
yeah, apparently there has been some jcm combos IIRC, don't know if they're still made though..
maybe an orange amp too? i head they're pretty similar to marshall, but once again, don't quote me on that, i'm more of a clean amp guy :-p

edit: i just saw your edit, so i'll reply with an edit, how loud was that ac30 when you tried the gain? that might be the problem :p
Last edited by Darkflame at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Darkflame
yeah, apparently there has been some jcm combos IIRC, don't know if they're still made though..
maybe an orange amp too? i head they're pretty similar to marshall, but once again, don't quote me on that, i'm more of a clean amp guy :-p

edit: i just saw your edit, so i'll reply with an edit, how loud was that ac30 when you tried the gain? that might be the problem :p

Not loud, like 1 or 2. Store wouldn't let me turn up, i was wondering whether that could be it.
Quote by willT08
Not loud, like 1 or 2. Store wouldn't let me turn up, i was wondering whether that could be it.

That's it. If you want gain you gotta turn it up a bit... By the time you got to 5 you'd be dripping with gain, and getting kicked out of the store, though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
you can get a marshall TSL60 for that price i think used ofcourse
but then for BMTH tones you might want to boost it then again thats only liek another £70

also you could get a used peavey 5150 for about £500
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Last edited by superfish1232 at Nov 6, 2009,
So, is the TSL just like a badass version of the Bugera 6260. Like, 3 channels, Clean, Crunch and Lead, but a shared EQ?
The 6260 is a copy of the peabey 5150/6505. However the bugera 1960 or 1990 head are marshal clones I believe.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ah okay. So would it be worth checking those out? Like, are they any good? Because i'm assuming they're a damn sight cheaper and I was considering a Bugera before.